Routledge 'Colloquial' series audio now free

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

Earwig

Routledge 'Colloquial' series audio now free

Postby Earwig » 2015-08-02, 20:55

I've just noticed that Routledge seems to have a new website, and on it one can now apparently freely download all the audio files that accompany their (most recent) Colloquial series books:

http://www.routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/colloquial/

I'm not sure how long it's been up, but I never noticed it before, so perhaps other people with any of these books might also be interested to know.

Michael

Re: Routledge 'Colloquial' series audio now free

Postby Michael » 2015-08-03, 22:39

I used to need audio for some of my languages, but nowadays just reading about a given language's phonology on Wikipedia is enough.
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) Old English (en_old) A1
“Iċ eom māra þonne þes middanġeard; lǣssa þonne håndwyrm; leohtre þonne mōna; swiftre þonne sunne.”

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-08-04, 13:31

Are those really the full files? How come they uploaded them for free?
Please correct my mistakes!

Earwig

Postby Earwig » 2015-08-04, 13:56

I presume they think they can make more money by a) charging slightly more for the books (now all £50 each) and b) saving all the costs of producing and packaging CDs.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2015-08-04, 18:18

Yeah... the books are now twice the price they used to be :?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-08-04, 19:40

Ouch, I didn't check that. Probably trying to combat piracy of the audios by making them available themselves and raising the prices for the books to make up for the losses...

Earwig

Postby Earwig » 2015-08-05, 17:09

Some of the book/CD packages were £60, and have now gone down to £50. It depends on the language. But this will not be important until they significantly update the contents of the books, which will take years. As it stands, virtually all of the most recent editions (book only) can be had from amazon marketplace (etc.) at a discounted price, whereas there was never any worthwhile discount on book/CD packages. Until the cheaper books run out, at least, now's probably the time to buy them.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-08-16, 19:57

BTW: Which Colloquial books do you generally consider to be good?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-08-17, 2:48

Car wrote:BTW: Which Colloquial books do you generally consider to be good?

The only ones I have (and thus really know about) are Colloquial Gujarati and Colloquial Cambodian (yes they say Cambodian instead of Khmer argh it kinda annoys me tbh). Colloquial Cambodian was great by my standards, about as good as TY Thai. Colloquial Gujarati on the other hand...idk, I'm kind of intimidated by it, tbh.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-08-17, 14:48

Of the ones I have, I consider the following very good:
Lithuanian, Welsh, Irish (for the dialogues, not so much the grammar), Amharic, Somali, Ukrainian, Icelandic.
Especially Welsh, Lithuanian, Icelandic, Somali and Amharic. Those five are fantastic IMO.
Not sure how many of those you're interested in though. :lol:

The older version of Czech was awesome (90's version), I'm not sure if they changed anything in the intervening years however.

The older (again, 90's) version of Vietnamese was weird. I could never tell which dialect they were teaching. It seemed like they were trying for Northern, but giving some pronunciations from Southern. It was weird.
Biblical Hebrew (he) Japanese (ja) | Munster Irish (ga) Seneca (see)

Earwig

Postby Earwig » 2015-08-18, 4:26

It depends what you're comparing them to. Colloquial Tibetan I'm liking so far, although I'm not yet a stage where I can confidently discurse on its shortfalls. Col. Chinese 1 and 2 are okay; I didn't think they were great, but I did think TY 'Complete Mandarin' was pretty awful in comparison. At the moment Russian is another of my slow-burning projects, and I'm finding Colloquial more helpful than TY, although the New Penguin Russian Course is better still (if only it had audio). Col. Persian I also prefer to TY. Hungarian contrawise (although I thought assimil outshone them both).

I do have Colloquial Gujarati, although I've no more than flicked through it. Yes, it does look a bit intimidating. So does Mongolian. I've yet to seriously apply myself to either, so I'm not sure whether to blame the author or the language. And I have nothing to compare them with.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-08-18, 4:53

Colloquial Mongolian was good aside from the verbs, they didn't do a good job with indicating the verb stems, especially in the vocabulary lists. Which in my eyes is a serious flaw, as not all verbs in Mongolian simply drop the -x to form the base.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-08-18, 5:21

I think Colloquial Estonian and Colloquial Japanese are good. :) Colloquial Japanese only uses romanization, but it's a great start for the spoken language and the book is well made with good grammar and dialogues. Also, it marks pitch accent!! The vast majority of things ignore it which annoys the hell out of me, so the book is very useful in that regard. You know, assuming you care about pronouncing the language right.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-08-18, 8:14

Thanks to you lot.

księżycowy wrote:Of the ones I have, I consider the following very good:
Lithuanian, Welsh, Irish (for the dialogues, not so much the grammar), Amharic, Somali, Ukrainian, Icelandic.
Especially Welsh, Lithuanian, Icelandic, Somali and Amharic. Those five are fantastic IMO.
Not sure how many of those you're interested in though. :lol:

Lithuanian, Icelandic as well as Estonian are among the ones I'm interested in, so that sounds good.

Not that I actually need any more courses with my unfinished Assimil Arabic, Langenscheidt and Assimil for Portuguese and two Polish courses (plus some for Italian), but there's no such thing as too many language courses, right. :whistle:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-08-18, 12:08

Right! :wink:

Lauren wrote:I think Colloquial Estonian and Colloquial Japanese are good. :) Colloquial Japanese only uses romanization, but it's a great start for the spoken language and the book is well made with good grammar and dialogues. Also, it marks pitch accent!! The vast majority of things ignore it which annoys the hell out of me, so the book is very useful in that regard. You know, assuming you care about pronouncing the language right.

Romaji? Ew.

As far as pitch accent, I just use this with Genki. Sure it's a bit annoying to have to look up the words in another source to learn the pitch accent, but I really like Genki, so I deal with it.

EDIT: Also, if you use Anki, there is an add-on that automatically adds the pronunciation (including pitch accent) to any entry in Japanese you enter (so long as you set it up right :P ).
Last edited by księżycowy on 2015-08-18, 16:40, edited 2 times in total.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-08-18, 15:37

vijayjohn wrote:
Car wrote:BTW: Which Colloquial books do you generally consider to be good?

The only ones I have (and thus really know about) are Colloquial Gujarati and Colloquial Cambodian (yes they say Cambodian instead of Khmer argh it kinda annoys me tbh). Colloquial Cambodian was great by my standards, about as good as TY Thai. Colloquial Gujarati on the other hand...idk, I'm kind of intimidated by it, tbh.

I really liked the Colloquial Bengali. It has problems but I enjoyed it a lot, maybe it is just because I like Bengali :P The audio that comes with Colloquial Bengali is awesome, they even read parts of the introduction!

The Colloquial Hindi is really really bad. I mean I used it and read through the entire thing and it is definitely usable. What really annoyed me is that the author put down Rupert Snell in the introduction,he doesn't exactly say his name but if you are familiar with the TY you will know who he is talking about. That is not professional is anyway. Anyway the colloquial probably won't even take you to intermediate, seriously I think I got through this book in a matter of two days maybe less. The dialogues are very short, the grammar lessons are short. A beginner can definitely use it and it will teach you some things but Elementary Hindi and TY Hindi are better. Colloquial Tamil is pretty bad too. I liked Colloquial Arabic of Egypt and Colloquial Persian too.

I have Colloquial Tibetan and I want to try it but I'm nervous to open it up :oops:
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-08-18, 17:07

Just wanted to give a potential warning that some of the audio is a bit fucked up. I was going through the audio for Yoruba (a book I've wanted to get for a while now) and some of the tracks sounded like a CD when it's all scratched up and skips. Needless to say I'll shoot them an email about it in a bit. This is the only audio I've downloaded and listened to thus far though.

Also, Lauren, I don't see any indication of pitch accent in the first lesson of the 3rd edition of Colloquial Japanese. Am I missing something? :hmm:

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-08-18, 17:18

księżycowy wrote:Just wanted to give a potential warning that some of the audio is a bit fucked up. I was going through the audio for Yoruba (a book I've wanted to get for a while now) and some of the tracks sounded like a CD when it's all scratched up and skips. Needless to say I'll shoot them an email about it in a bit. This is the only audio I've downloaded and listened to thus far though.

Also, Lauren, I don't see any indication of pitch accent in the first lesson of the 3rd edition of Colloquial Japanese. Am I missing something? :hmm:

Hmm. Well the PDF I have is of the second edition, so maybe they removed them? I would be angry if they did. :evil: In the second edition though the downstep is marked by an acute accent on the previous syllable in the romanization.

Also I was wrong. :oops: Colloquial Japanese 2nd edition does teach kana and some kanji. I don't know where I got it in my head that it doesn't! Sorry.
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-08-18, 17:23

Then you're angry, cause it's gone.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-08-18, 18:32

księżycowy wrote:Then you're angry, cause it's gone.

Ugh. That's a shame. It saddens me that barely any books teach pitch accent. Same for Latvian and Lithuanian (though apparently a few authors of Lithuanian course books care). You're lucky if the book even mentions in passing that it exists. It's not like the vast majority of dialects and speakers of Japanese use it or anything. :x
Trans woman  Image

Return to “General Language Forum”