Words that just won't stick

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Ciarán12

Re: Words that just won't stick

Postby Ciarán12 » 2019-06-20, 20:57

linguoboy wrote:For some reason, I've had a hell of time remembering that it's (es)mapache "raccoon" and (es-MX)tambache "pile", not *mapuche and *tambuche. In the first instance, I can blame interference from Mapuche, but why should I have problems with tambache?

I don't know if you use mnemonics a lot when learning vocabulary, I do. I'd try to think of a racoon holding a map ((es) mapa) and for the second one, it's a bit trickier but maybe think of a pile of "H's" ((es) Hache).

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-07-19, 16:09

I'm going to post a few from my Spanish reading in the hopes of making them stick:

carcajada guffaw
carey tortoiseshell
ladrillo brick
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-11, 6:30

English (en) bundobust, Urdu (ur) بند و بست‎, etc. (other Indian languages have this term, too)

Does anyone even use this term anymore in any language? How the fuck do you remember that something about tying means organization?
Vlürch wrote:
voron wrote:Rüya is actually originally Arabic

Ohhh, welp. Goes to show once again that assuming etymologies is never a good idea. :P It probably entered Turkish through Persian, though, right?

Yes.

ReachingOut

Postby ReachingOut » 2019-08-11, 7:58

In Romanian, there are a lot of words of Slavic origin beginning with zdr- or zb- which sound a bit similar and for some reason won't stick, or are harder to learn. Zdrobi, for example, to crush or defeat. I find it a lot easier to learn such words when I write them down, or create a mental image from the word which I then associate with the word and its sound.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-16, 0:00

Catalan (ca) llavors - then

I recently noticed that I remembered aleshores but not this. It's one of those things where the problem used to be the opposite, and now I've spent so much effort trying to remember one term that I forgot the term I always remembered. :lol: I also just learned how this is supposed to be pronounced.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-17, 17:17

vijayjohn wrote:Catalan (ca) llavors - then

Ara estic amb aquesta cançó al cap:

https://youtu.be/vxXbdqh4h7k
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “General Language Forum”