Last word in a foreign language that you learnt

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

Osias

Re: Last word in a foreign language that you learnt

Postby Osias » 2017-08-20, 22:06

Interesting.

We have the expression "o cérebro ainda não pegou no tranco".
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-21, 0:03

(es-ve) cotufas popcorn

My Ecuadorian friend said he thought this word originated in Catalan but I did a little research and found that it's apparently limited to a few Balearic dialects (cf. Eivissenc catufes) and the Standard Catalan equivalent is crispetes. It's more widespread in the Spanish of the Canary Islands, so it probably either originated there or in Venezuela.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-08-22, 1:30

(fr)
à sa décharge - in his/her defense
garçon manqué m - tomboy
exciser v - excise; perform female genital mutilation
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-23, 15:27

(fr) faire la manche panhandle, go begging
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-23, 17:48

(es) salpicadero dashboard ((pt) tabliê)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-24, 5:21

Luís wrote:((pt) tabliê)

Is that a colloquial word? Or is it used only in Portugal? I couldn't find that on WordReference but only painel de controle, and I also couldn't find it on Wiktionary. Of course Wiktionary just says that painel de controle means control panel, and not specifically a car's dashboard. (I know just because WR and Wiktionary don't have the word does that mean the word is colloquial or slang or something.)

(pt) cobrar to charge (money)
My TAC for 2017.

(en-CA) (fr) (es) (pt-BR) (ko) (sv) (sq) (ga)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-24, 7:49

dEhiN wrote:Is that a colloquial word? Or is it used only in Portugal? I couldn't find that on WordReference but only painel de controle, and I also couldn't find it on Wiktionary. Of course Wiktionary just says that painel de controle means control panel, and not specifically a car's dashboard. (I know just because WR and Wiktionary don't have the word does that mean the word is colloquial or slang or something.)

No, it's a proper word.
Many times the original spelling is used (tablier). AFAIK it's specific to Portugal.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-26, 19:49

(fr) érable maple ((pt) ácer)

Ser

Postby Ser » 2017-08-27, 15:15

English tetchy ("bad-tempered, irritable").

English dehiscent. Heard it as "a dehiscent seed", i.e. a seed that's opening up to become a growing sprout, i.e. undergoing dehiscence.

French stage 'period in which a student who just graduated, or a student about to graduate, has some work experience'. It's close to North American English "internship" but it doesn't quite mean the same thing. I heard it in the context of Canadian students of French immersion teaching about to graduate, as they do a 4-month stage, as is typical of teachers' training. Talking about a stage after graduating is apparently more commonly said of lawyers.

Mandarin 行星 xing2xing1 'planet', which, annoyingly, sounds almost exactly the same as 星星 xing1xing1 'star'.

Mandarin 以及 yi3ji2 'and'. I thought there were only five ways of saying "and" in Mandarin to link two nouns, namely 和 he2, 跟 gen1, 同 tong2, 与 yu3 and 及 ji2, but I just read there's really six. I find it interesting that each of the six words is slightly different: 和 he2 is the most common one (used in any register), 跟 gen1 is colloquial and typical of northerners, 同 is colloquial and typical of southerners, 与 yu3 is formal, 及 ji2 is formal and implies the second thing is less important or prominent, 以及 yi3ji2 is like 及 ji2 but less common.

JackFrost
Global Moderator

Postby JackFrost » 2017-08-27, 16:32

(fr)
argent liquide - cash
compte courant - chequing account

Never knew they'd say those differently. Here, we say argent comptant/cash and compte-chèques respectively. :?
Neferuj paħujkij!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-27, 16:46

Serafín wrote:French stage 'period in which a student who just graduated, or a student about to graduate, has some work experience'. It's close to North American English "internship" but it doesn't quite mean the same thing. I heard it in the context of Canadian students of French immersion teaching about to graduate, as they do a 4-month stage, as is typical of teachers' training. Talking about a stage after graduating is apparently more commonly said of lawyers.

In American English, I've heard this pronounced in two syllables (and sometimes even spelled accordingly, i.e. "stagé") specifically in the context of a kitchen stage, i.e. an unpaid internship with a chef in order to learn particular techniques on the job.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2017-08-27, 18:56

linguoboy wrote:
Serafín wrote:French stage 'period in which a student who just graduated, or a student about to graduate, has some work experience'. It's close to North American English "internship" but it doesn't quite mean the same thing. I heard it in the context of Canadian students of French immersion teaching about to graduate, as they do a 4-month stage, as is typical of teachers' training. Talking about a stage after graduating is apparently more commonly said of lawyers.

In American English, I've heard this pronounced in two syllables (and sometimes even spelled accordingly, i.e. "stagé") specifically in the context of a kitchen stage, i.e. an unpaid internship with a chef in order to learn particular techniques on the job.

I think the meaning of stage in French extends even beyond that: it can also be used to refer to courses, as in "stage d'été" or "stage linguistique".

@Jack:
I think compte chèque also exists in European French, but it might be less common (there is also DAV - dépôt à vue).
Cash and argent comptant, too. Although technically, as far as I know, argent comptant isn't really cash in the sense of physical money (as opposed to a credit or debit card), but cash as in the whole amount being paid upfront instead of by installments/on credit.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-28, 1:23

(it) weekend fuori porta weekend getaway

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-28, 22:21

Kenny wrote:I think the meaning of stage in French extends even beyond that: it can also be used to refer to courses, as in "stage d'été" or "stage linguistique".

Yes, stage in France French (at least) also refers to any sort of training course and if I remember correctly can be used even of college programs.

Cash and argent comptant, too..

I didn't know cash was used in France French. Is it slang? I've definitely heard argent liquide before, but not sure if I've ever come across cash.
My TAC for 2017.

(en-CA) (fr) (es) (pt-BR) (ko) (sv) (sq) (ga)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-08-29, 19:20

dEhiN wrote:
Cash and argent comptant, too..

I didn't know cash was used in France French. Is it slang? I've definitely heard argent liquide before, but not sure if I've ever come across cash.

We were taught that while cash is used, you shouldn't use it, so I guess it is.
Please correct my mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-30, 14:25

(fr) réverbère streetlight

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-08-30, 19:53

linguoboy wrote:(fr) réverbère streetlight

Funny you post it today, I also learnt it the other day.
Please correct my mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-08-30, 19:58

Car wrote:
linguoboy wrote:(fr) réverbère streetlight

Funny you post it today, I also learnt it the other day.

I learned it last week but wasn't sure I'd remember it. Then today it popped up in my reading (En finir avec Eddy Bellegueule) and I was like, "I know what that means!"

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-09-03, 4:53

You'll also find it in Le Petit Prince, should that ever turn up on your reading list. :)
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-03, 9:12

(es) huella footprint ((pt) pegada)

This is a rather common word, but I had never really come across it until now... :hmm:

Return to “General Language Forum”