The languages of our dreams

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Gormur

Re: The languages of our dreams

Postby Gormur » 2020-07-17, 13:05

Probably not even worth mentioning but regina meant queen in Late Latin. The -ion word reminds me of queen bee, which might make sense in a dream

I searched a bit and apparently Old English didn't have princess as a word, so maybe that explains why there's no word for transitioning from princess to queen even though there isn't one for prince to king either
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-07-17, 13:40

Vlürch wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Or enthroned.

True, but that can also be used to refer to non-monarchs and figuratively pretty much anything. Of course any word that explicitly refers to enmonarchment could be, too, but at least it'd literally refer to... uh... enmonarchment. :lol: I swear the only word I can think of is *enmonarched, and it is immediately understandable so it would probably be better than something more obscure... but I'm still pretty sure there has to be a word with that explicit specific meaning, even if it'd only be found in some obscure 16th-century dictionary. :lol:
Linguaphile wrote:(In Ghanaian English they say enstooled.)

Interesting!

The thing is, enmonarched isn't a real word, but enthroned is. There's also coronated and crowned.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2020-07-19, 15:31

Linguaphile wrote:The thing is, enmonarched isn't a real word, but enthroned is. There's also coronated and crowned.

Yeah, but the creation of neologisms is (increasingly?) one of the ways new words become "real". This one probably wouldn't become widely used in any case since, like you said, those (near-)synonyms exist, though... but it seems too good a word not to use if specificity is needed imho. There is one result on Google for enmonarched, which also uses monarching to mean something like "to do monarchial things", so it's not like I'd be the first person to use it if I used it. :P

I didn't mean to derail this thread, but...

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-07-19, 15:49

It seems kind of useless though when you already have enthroned which can also turn into dethrone(d). It's also easy to pronounce

What does en- mean anyway? It almost seems like something's going on within a monarchy :para:

The enmonarched church where the wedding took place between the king and newly crowned queen was celebrated for its history.

There :lol: :)
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2020-07-19, 16:06

Gormur wrote:It seems kind of useless

Well, maybe, but I meant specifically a word that's not used figuratively the same way as enthroned and would only be used to refer to literal monarchs. :hmm:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-07-19, 16:19

Vlürch wrote:

Well, maybe, but I meant specifically a word that's not used figuratively the same way as enthroned and would only be used to refer to literal monarchs. :hmm:
No idea. I think it has to do with the structure of kings coming first and queens being their wife, so automatically they (women) were royalty but then even as things got more complex with rules they never came up with terms to express what women did in their chosen/inherited roles

I guess you know all that, but in hypothetical terms it'd be interesting to come up with terms. Like what it's called when a daughter becomes queen. We know it's usually because she's the eldest at the time but what would it be called, e.g to inherit a kingdom?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-07-19, 16:40

Vlürch wrote:

The literal meaning comes first, and then it acquires figurative meanings by extension. You could invent a word like enmonarched, but if the word caught on (if people started to actually use it), it would almost certainly be only a matter of time before people started using it figuratively as well. :mrgreen:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-07-19, 21:29

It's too hard to say, in my opinion :)

Actually my dream job is to be a person who invents new words for Norwegian and maybe Icelandic. English is a bit trickier because I don't really think that way about it, like I memorized a lot of it as a kid then stuck with it but newer words never stick because I don't already know them. They're counter-intuitive sounding, or maybe because I don't care :)

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2020-07-23, 11:20

Linguaphile wrote:The literal meaning comes first, and then it acquires figurative meanings by extension. You could invent a word like enmonarched, but if the word caught on (if people started to actually use it), it would almost certainly be only a matter of time before people started using it figuratively as well. :mrgreen:

Mmh... weeeeell, true, I can't and don't even want to argue with that. Figurative uses even for words with seemingly strict literal meanings can of course be good, too, etc. It's just weird to me if there really isn't even an obscure (near-)synonym for enthrone(d) that has an etymological connection to monarch, regent, reign or whatever, but then again languages often have weird lexical gaps... just, you know, English being English, I'd always expect a dozen synonyms/near-synonyms to exist for every single concept. :lol:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-07-23, 17:48

If there never was one, one could invent a word. There might be a way to do it with Old English but it'd have to be reconstructed since there's no record of this concept

Maybe I misunderstood. Were you trying to come up with a term meaning when a woman becomes queen or was it to do with a kingdom ruled by a woman? :hmm:

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2020-07-24, 1:22

Gormur wrote:Maybe I misunderstood. Were you trying to come up with a term meaning when a woman becomes queen or was it to do with a kingdom ruled by a woman? :hmm:

Nothing about women, just a word meaning "having become (or been made) a monarch" referring to anyone of any gender derived from some root with a literal etymological connotation of monarchy. I wasn't trying to come up with one but figure out if one already exists. My assumption was that since English has so many obscure words barely anyone even uses, there probably already is one... but I guess there isn't, after all? :para:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-07-24, 14:33

Yeah and even then you need to say having become a royal monarch when there's no context

Bequeathe the throne is an inheritance; the throne was bequethed to them

I can't find one that isn't an idiom :hmm:

Return to “General Language Forum”