The languages of our dreams

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Lur
Re: The languages of our dreams

Postby Lur » 2014-06-11, 17:08

I dreamed something in made up Persian the other day.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-12, 14:06

Tonight I dreamt that I was trying to speak English but it was incomprehensible because I didn't manage to articulate the sounds.

I suppose it's a language nerd's equivalent of those dreams where you would like to run but can't. :lol:
Last edited by IpseDixit on 2014-06-12, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

Marah

Postby Marah » 2014-06-12, 15:09

As far as I can remember I think I have only dreamed in French, English, Spanish and German... and that's pretty much it. :?
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-06-13, 6:47

IpseDixit wrote:I suppose it's a language nerd's equivalent of those dreams where you would like to run but can't. :lol:

In my dreams, I often run. And I often press the light switch, and the light turns on! :shock:
But I've never managed to scream.

I dreamt a lot about a language as a kid, maybe back then I was already a language nerd. :silly:

loqu wrote:It's like IT publications in Spanish, that don't say ordenador or computadora but equipo, you know?

I understand both ordenador and computadora. But I would have no clue what it means if I read equipo in an IT pubblication. I only know its meaning of "team". :lol:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-06-14, 14:14

Youngfun wrote:Rarely in Wenzhounese Wu,

And the other day, I dreamt of speaking Wenzhounese. :shock: I was arguing with an old lady and I was speaking it fast and loud and arguing hard. While in the reality I'm not that fluent in it. And I would make stops to think of the words if I were to argue...

Marah

Postby Marah » 2014-06-17, 7:20

I dreamed in Russian yesterday. I only remember saying things like Добрый день but it's a start...
Last edited by Marah on 2014-06-23, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-06-18, 19:27

In my dreams, there's only telepathic/thought communication, in no specific Earth language. :para:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-06-19, 14:55

I dreamt I was talking about and in Spanish with a friend of mine (Zompist). I jokingly compared myself to a "bermejeo"[*], which was apparently a gentilic for someone from Mexico which in context had something like the force of naco. Then I tried to say in Spanish "I say 'pan' because the service employees where I work do." Again, in context, pan was a slang term of address associated with narcotraffickers.[**] But I had German on the brain [I'd been reading a German novel right before falling asleep] so I began saying "Ich sage..." and caught myself. Then I go stuck on the first-person form corresponding to dice and ended up saying "Yo dico", using the Italian form rather than the correct "Yo digo". Then I stumbled on the word for "service employees", saying servicios which just means "services".

All in all , not my finest moment of dream conversation.

[*] Cff. bermejo "bright red"
[**] AFAIK, this usage exists in no Spanish variety [although cf. pan bendito "good egg"], but some South American varieties have pana "buddy, mate".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-06-20, 5:37

linguoboy wrote:but some South American varieties have pana "buddy, mate".

In Peru it's pata.

socialmedia

Postby socialmedia » 2014-06-21, 0:44

I'm learning Spanish and Portuguese but I only dream in English. My girlfriend is also trilingual but she dreams in all 3 languages.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2014-06-23, 16:19

About a week ago I dreamt I was driving a car and my parents were with me. We were in an Arabic speaking country, but I didn't know which one. We were going to visit a beautiful city I had already visited. The road wasn't very good, and after a while, we met a group of people in the middle of the street. I got out of the car and asked a girl - in Spanish and Italian:" No se puede raggiunger la ciudad?" (Isn't it possible to reach (raggiungere in Italian) the city?". I was aware I was mixing the two languages. She answered - in Spanish-Italian:"No es posible, porque la strada es interrupta por trabajos". (It is not possible, because the street (strada in Italian) is interrupted for works". (I don't know if the preposition por is correct here). Then I went back to the car and took a map. I saw a policeman and asked him (I don't remember in which language I was talking) how I could get to the city. He told me in English that in order to reach Beirut, I had to go back and turn left.
So at the end of the dream I've known which was the name of the city I was going to visit :lol:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-06-23, 16:53

Last night I dreamt I was in a city in Germany, in an apartment on the shore that was partially flooded due to high water. It was our last night there and I was regretting not having gotten out more, so I went for a walk. Ironically, though, I didn't hear any German, only some drunken bums cursing in French and a child being scolded in Mandarin Chinese.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-08-01, 3:17

I dreamt that I was living in a squat in some Central European city. Among ourselves, we spoke English, but I think the community language was something Slavic, probably Czech. One of the other Autonomen was scamming the government in order to collect disability payments; he used condiments to make it look like his knee was oozing pus, and when the inspectors came to search him, he passed us the bottles to hide, and I shoved them into a cupboard where they leaked. Two women came to me complaining that an antique shawl had been ruined and demanded compensation. This whole arguments took place in German and ended with me agreeing to pay them 50€.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-08-06, 3:08

Strange, though I've been learning Italian very frequently, the dreams I do get are only in English. Wouldn't more than five months be enough time to have dreams in Italian?

If I dream, which is rare, I either dream in English (that I can comprehend, but I think once I had a dream where I couldn't understand anything even though the sentences were formed correctly: I just couldn't hear very well so everything said was obscured) or in silence with the sound of my heart pumping. These latter dreams are quite nice, it's like watching a silent movie that doesn't make sense without captions.

Actually, I think I did have one dream a long time ago where we were definitely speaking something, but no language I recognised. And I had a few with some foreign phrases mentioned, but only small things that weren't really full dialogue.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-08-06, 3:33

Koko wrote:Strange, though I've been learning Italian very frequently, the dreams I do get are only in English. Wouldn't more than five months be enough time to have dreams in Italian?

I don't think I started dreaming in German until I'd been studying it for at least two years.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2014-08-06, 5:30

Well, it seems that I've dreamt in German last night. It was a sole sentence which I don't recall, though.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-08-11, 17:14

Lately I have been having dreams about Hindi songs or me singing Hindi songs in my dreams.

I also recently had a dream that I was speaking Arabic (it was MSA) but in my dream it was supposed to be iraqi, like everyone said Ani and I was in the middle of nowhere in Iraq, I think it might have been from watching the news too much.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

mikemike18

Postby mikemike18 » 2014-08-20, 2:40

I usually dream in English.. but once in a while I'll be dreaming in Italian. This is true especially when I'm in Italy (no surprise there).
Avançado: [flag=]en-US[/flag][flag=]pt-BR[/flag][flag=]it[/flag][flag=]es-ES[/flag]
Preciso melhorar: [flag=]ar-afb[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag]
Algum dia: [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]haw[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag]

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2014-08-21, 21:38

I usually dream in Spanish, Catalan or English (for some reason, English has become the predominant language in my thoughts). However, I have dreamed in French and sometimes a couple of words in Japanese. But the dream language I remember the most is Latin. I recall dreaming once of a woman called nauis (ship), so I deduced she spoke Latin, so I tried to start a conversation with a "Quid agisne?", which was supposed to mean "what are you doing?". No wonder she didn't bother to answer!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-08-21, 22:07

Last night I had a dream that started in English, but near the end became a full version of this Germanic language I just started yesterday and only have the words sön, monne, wiff, män and bea with their declined forms and the subject pronouns and articles. I didn't even work on it for more than ten minutes! (I heard a couple words that I recognized from that list is how I know it was that language) Because in reality it's not finished, I don't know what we were talking about.

Return to “General Language Forum”