The languages of our dreams

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Rí.na.dTeangacha
Re: The languages of our dreams

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-04-20, 9:10

vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure I fully understand this dream, but no worries! :D

Mine?
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-04-20, 16:59

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure I fully understand this dream, but no worries! :D

Mine?

Yeah.

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-04-20, 19:56

Maybe I didn't explain it well, or maybe it just didn't make very much sense (it is a dream, after all).
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-04-20, 20:53

It's just an elaborate nightmare and thus kind of hard for me to picture. Thanks for sharing it, though! :)

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-07-22, 18:15

Last night I've dreamt I was studying Welsh with a "Teach Yourself Welsh" book, and I was enjoying it a lot. I was reading some words containing many w's and y's.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-07-22, 19:05

Massimiliano B wrote:Last night I've dreamt I was studying Welsh with a "Teach Yourself Welsh" book, and I was enjoying it a lot. I was reading some words containing many w's and y's.

I sent you those dreams. As I was falling asleep, I was thinking of the words "mywyd i" ("my life").
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2021-07-22, 20:29

linguoboy wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:Last night I've dreamt I was studying Welsh with a "Teach Yourself Welsh" book, and I was enjoying it a lot. I was reading some words containing many w's and y's.

I sent you those dreams. As I was falling asleep, I was thinking of the words "mywyd i" ("my life").

I might have reinforced them. I went back to studying Welsh on duolingo after a long break about a week ago.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-07-22, 22:34

linguoboy wrote:

Naava wrote:
linguoboy wrote:

I might have reinforced them. I went back to studying Welsh on duolingo after a long break about a week ago.

Thank you for the good influence! Now I'm wanderlusting for Welsh.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-07-22, 23:50

Massimiliano B wrote:Thank you for the good influence! Now I'm wanderlusting for Welsh.

Ymuna â ni!
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-07-23, 12:52

linguoboy wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:Thank you for the good influence! Now I'm wanderlusting for Welsh.

Ymuna â ni!

Does this mean "Join us!"?. In Italian: "Unisciti a noi". Apart from the first word, the second and third are similar to Italian.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-07-23, 15:23

Massimiliano B wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Ymuna â ni!

Does this mean "Join us!"?
It does!
Massimiliano B wrote:In Italian: "Unisciti a noi". Apart from the first word, the second and third are similar to Italian.

The first is similar, too. The root is un "one", which is cognate to the ūni- in unire.

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-07-23, 16:07

linguoboy wrote:The first is similar, too. The root is un "one", which is cognate to the ūni- in unire.

Oh, I can see now. I've been misled by the first part of the word (ym-). It must be a preposition, or am I wrong?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-07-23, 17:06

Massimiliano B wrote:Oh, I can see now. I've been misled by the first part of the word (ym-). It must be a preposition, or am I wrong?

It's a verbal prefix; the corresponding preposition is am, e.g. "Cymraeg am byth!" ("Welsh forever!").

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-07-23, 21:59

linguoboy wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:Oh, I can see now. I've been misled by the first part of the word (ym-). It must be a preposition, or am I wrong?

It's a verbal prefix; the corresponding preposition is am, e.g. "Cymraeg am byth!" ("Welsh forever!").

Thanks! I wonder whether "am" becomes "ym-" because of a shifting in the stress position...

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-07-29, 13:56

Thanks to that dream, I've started learning Welsh on Duolingo, just for fun.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2021-07-29, 14:27

Massimiliano B wrote:

Thanks to that dream, I've started learning Welsh on Duolingo, just for fun.

Nice! I must say I've been quite happy with the course. Duolingo has its own problems, but I've got the impression that the people who made the course have genuinely tried to do their best. It's also got better since I started years ago. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have! :)

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-07-29, 21:33

Naava wrote:Nice! I must say I've been quite happy with the course. Duolingo has its own problems, but I've got the impression that the people who made the course have genuinely tried to do their best. It's also got better since I started years ago. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have! :)

I'm not a big fan of Duolingo. I've mostly used it to listen to languages I couldn't have listened to otherwise, like Hawaiian or Indonesian, and to learn pronunciaton and rhythm. The first lessons of the Welsh course I have studied so far are quite interesting.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-02, 2:27

Massimiliano B wrote:I'm not a big fan of Duolingo.

Back when I used it, at least, I wasn't a fan of it at all!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-10-07, 18:47

My neighbour told me last night that she had a dream where the President of the USA decided the Eurovision winner and the language of whatever country that was became the official language of the USA for the following year and I've never wanted so much for a dream to be true in all my life.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-07, 19:07

A friend of mine told me about a dream that ended with the thought "I wish I paid more attention to Vijay when he posted about African languages." :D

EDIT:
linguoboy wrote:My neighbour told me last night that she had a dream where the President of the USA decided the Eurovision winner and the language of whatever country that was became the official language of the USA for the following year and I've never wanted so much for a dream to be true in all my life.

What if the president just picked the UK, Australia, or perhaps Ireland every year? :P

Return to “General Language Forum”