The last word of your mother tongue you have learnt ?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The last word of your mother tongue you have learnt ?

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-24, 7:23

മരണക്കിണറ് [məˈɾəɳəkɛɳərɯ] - I might be remembering this wrong, but IIRC, this means a very deep well (literally 'death well'). Or else it means a rope that's long and can get to the bottom of such a well.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-09-24, 14:33

abrosexual
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-26, 4:10

I need to make sure to write down words again when my dad shares them with me. :?

വാരണാസി [ʋaːɾəˈɳaːsi] - Varanasi (alongside വാരാണസി [ʋaːˈɾaːɳəsi], which is apparently closer to the pronunciation in most Indian languages, and വരണാസി [ʋəɾəˈɳaːsi], which I always thought was the way to pronounce it and how my parents pronounced it and is definitely how I myself pronounce it)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-10-09, 19:40

farciminal sausage-shaped, cylindrical
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-14, 3:24

vijayjohn wrote:മരണക്കിണറ് [məˈɾəɳəkɛɳərɯ] - I might be remembering this wrong, but IIRC, this means a very deep well (literally 'death well'). Or else it means a rope that's long and can get to the bottom of such a well.

Actually, it's neither of these things.

It's a kind of circus attraction and motorbike stunt show: a hole in the ground where two people (probably men...) on motorbikes are supposed drive really fast without colliding. My dad says this was how he learned about centrifugal force.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-10-29, 14:23

outport

I thought this might be a misprint but apparently it's a legit word for "lesser port" much used in Atlantic Canada.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-29, 22:14

Public Health Information Systems (PHIS) - foundational components of public health infrastructure, providing how health departments collect and maintain data for public health practice
non-paternity event - in genetics, when someone who is presumed to be an individual's father is not in fact the biological father

വളയ്ക്കുക [ʋəˈɭɛkʲuga] - to cause to bend, cheat, defraud
പരിധി [pəˈɾid̪ʱi] - limit, boundary, range, circumference, enclosure, horizon, covering, chariot wheel

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-10-31, 0:19

vijayjohn wrote:non-paternity event - in genetics, when someone who is presumed to be an individual's father is not in fact the biological father

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-07, 0:17

മാറ്റൊലി [ˈmaːtoli] - echo (my dad misremembered this word as *മറ്റൊലി [mətˈtoli])
കിഴിവ് [kiˈɻiʋɯ] - discount
donair - Canadian version of döner
butter tart - some kind of Canadian pastry tart
soapberries - some kind of berries whose pulp is used for making soap
sxusem (pronounced [ˈskʰʊʃm̩]?) - Indian ice cream, a traditional indigenous Canadian whipped confection made from soapberries and other fruits

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-11-07, 15:45

invictive

I think this was a typo for something else (invective?) but it turns out to be historically attested (albeit rarely).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-12, 23:02

ഘട്ടം ഘട്ടത്തിൽ [gʱəˈʈəm gʱəˈʈət̪ɪl] - step by step
കുങ്കുമം [kʊŋˈgʊməm] - saffron (not necessarily edible)
കളഭം [kəˈɭəbʱəm] - perfumed sandalwood paste, young elephant, arrow, a kind of myrtle
അത്തിപ്പഴം [əˈt̪ipəɻəm] - fig
gitishness - stupidity (apparently)
delineate - to sketch out, draw or trace an outline; depict, represent with pictures; describe or depict with words or gestures; outline or mark out (I thought this was basically just a synonym for the verb detail)
limn - to draw, paint, delineate
limnetic - of or pertaining to the deeper, open waters, e.g. of a lake; an animal living in the limnetic zone

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-11-25, 20:29

reprotoxic causing reproductive toxicity

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-12, 5:31

eoo - eastern
esperio - western

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-12-15, 4:29

chin music - idle talk

It turns out I've been hearing this for a while in the song "Jealous" by Nick Jonas, but I didn't know what he was saying.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

h34

Postby h34 » 2019-12-15, 10:26

Setukesen - the indigenous ethnic and lingustic minority of the Setos in south-eastern Estonia and the Pskov Oblast in Russia (I always thought the most common term in German was Seto or Setu; apparently they are also known as setukesed in Estonian and setukaiset in Finnish, EDIT: and сетукезы in Russian)

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-18, 22:20

bugia - the conventional meaning is "lie" (as in "falsehood"), but I just learned that it also means "candle" and is the name of white stains on the nails (see leukonychia), and the name of little white blisters on the nose too. The last two meanings are due to the fact that - apparently - it's jokingly said that those things come to people who say lies.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-12-18, 22:37

Synalepha wrote:bugia - the conventional meaning is "lie" (as in "falsehood"), but I just learned that it also means "candle"

Actually, you're dealing with two homonyms: bugia "lie" is from Common Germanic *bausī "deceit" via Old Occitan. Bugia "candle" is a more recent borrowing from the name of the Algerian city of Béjaïa (known in the Middle Ages as "Bugia"), which was formerly a centre of wax candle manufacture. (The meaning of "(wax) candle" is also found in Catalan and French.)

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-19, 7:08

linguoboy wrote:
Synalepha wrote:bugia - the conventional meaning is "lie" (as in "falsehood"), but I just learned that it also means "candle"

Actually, you're dealing with two homonyms: bugia "lie" is from Common Germanic *bausī "deceit" via Old Occitan. Bugia "candle" is a more recent borrowing from the name of the Algerian city of Béjaïa (known in the Middle Ages as "Bugia"), which was formerly a centre of wax candle manufacture. (The meaning of "(wax) candle" is also found in Catalan and French.)

I suspected this because the meanings are so unrelated and the latter even goes against the common metaphorical convention where light = truth, which is quite cool tbh, light as a lie is an interesting idea.

For those interested: I found this in a book by Vasco Pratolini (Cronaca Familiare).

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-12-27, 19:45

h34 wrote:Setukesen - the indigenous ethnic and lingustic minority of the Setos in south-eastern Estonia and the Pskov Oblast in Russia (I always thought the most common term in German was Seto or Setu; apparently they are also known as setukesed in Estonian and setukaiset in Finnish, EDIT: and сетукезы in Russian)

That's interesting; I didn't know the German translations either.
It comes from a diminutive form; the Estonian diminutive suffix is -ke or -kene, with the genitive form -kese. In the Võru/Setu language the equivalent word is setokõsõq (along with the non-diminutive setoq).
It's interesting that these various languages (German, Russian, etc) have adopted the diminutive along with the non-diminutive forms.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-12-28, 3:18

hypercathect

Return to “General Language Forum”