The last word of your mother tongue you have learnt ?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

md0
Re: The last word of your mother tongue you have learnt ?

Postby md0 » 2020-02-21, 11:06

μικροκινητικότητα, η (mikrokinitikótita): micro-mobility, urban mobility/transport using electric light vehicles (primarily electric scooters). It was used in the context of legislating about them.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-02-21, 17:58

Linguaphile wrote:In my own dialect I'd say parking lot for the outdoor kind and parking garage for the underground or multi-story building kind, and avoid carpark / car park as the term isn't that common here. It would be understood, but as for whether it would be understood as a parking lot or parking garage, I think most people locally would think of it as a parking garage (in part just because they, like the term itself, aren't all that common here; the assumption would probably be that if you aren't using the word "parking lot" you're probably referring to something that is different from an outdoor parking lot, therefore probably a parking garage).
There's also carport for the open-air kind with a roof over it, usually for a single car or for a a single (or double) row of cars, such as an apartment building.

Indeed that's weird. American English is odd here. One can use parking space to mean a specific area of space while in UK English it appears to mean parking garage (at a residential home). At least i've not heard garage being a word used next to parking, so i merely wondered :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-27, 17:56

mulct
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-02-29, 17:36

apposite adj - apt, relevant
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-03-04, 21:45

proprioception
airing cupboard
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-04-02, 15:26

(en-us) hooptie junker [a beat-up old car]

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-04-02, 15:46

English: scoat; to prop, to scotch
Norwegian: nenne; to endure
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-04-12, 5:04

Sometimes, I don't even recognize the words in the definitions in this thread. :lol:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-04-13, 11:44

I agree with you. Also, there's a lot of English vocabulary that overlaps; so there's really no good definition of them as they're limited to certain contexts :hmm:

English: snuffer/snuffter; instrument for cropping the snuff of a candle with a closed box to contain the burnt smell of smoke

Norwegian: mokka; describes a grey-brown colour. 2) Used to describe a type of fresh Arabica coffee

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-04-19, 17:17

(en-us) exploit

Previously, I was only familiar with the meaning "heroic achievement", so I was momentarily baffled by the computing sense of "a programme that exploits a vulnerability".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-04-23, 15:37

seston all particulate matter in a body water, both organic and inorganic

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-04-24, 2:50

punzó

An adjective meaning "of a very bright red color", it can also be used as a noun.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-04-24, 14:21

Norwegian: berberis; Berberis vulgaris, barberry
English: patter; talk

I knew patter as nonsense or talking patter, but lately I'd noticed UKers using it like that kind of patter/talk; unrelated to nonsense. Initially I thought I'd heard it used that way before, but I hadn't :hmm:

Youth patter; probably youth slang

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-04-24, 17:41

thrum

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-04-28, 7:30

aljamía

1) Among the ancient Muslim inhabitants of Spain, language of peninsular Christians.

2) Moorish text in Romance language, but transcribed in Arabic script.

3) Judeo-Spanish text transcribed in Hebrew script.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-02, 19:33

Norwegian: superhundreåring
English: supercentenarian

That's someone who's reached at least 110 years in age

It might sound weird but a lot of compound words like this in Norwegian I don't know and I simply make something up on the go. I doubt being alone in this :para: :)

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-03, 11:32

English: smalls. Underwear
Norwegian: triatlon. Triathlon

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-08, 12:37

English: cloy weary by too much, surfeit
Norwegian: nautgard [horse] stable

I think the latter is a historical term, but I like it as it sounds quite medieval. :) Nevertheless you don't hear it used in modern times unlike fjøs, which precisely means dairy cattle barn

md0

Postby md0 » 2020-05-12, 7:57

(el) στάγδην (medical): σε σταγόνες, σταγόνα σταγόνα (in drops, drop by drop, (el-cy) σταξιάν σταξιάν)
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-05-14, 20:02

neptunismo - Hypothesis that stated that water was the sole responsible in the formation of Earth's crust.

Return to “General Language Forum”