True false friends

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 22880
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: True false friends

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-12, 7:26

American English (en-US) potty
Tamil (ta) போட்டி [ˈpoːʈi] - competition

Pissing contest! :P

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5827
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: True false friends

Postby OldBoring » 2019-01-12, 14:35

Homine.Sardu wrote:(en) ingenuity (in Italian "ingegnosità, ingegno")
(it) ingenuità (in English "naivety, innocence")

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5827
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: True false friends

Postby OldBoring » 2019-01-12, 14:38

vijayjohn wrote:American English (en-US) potty
Tamil (ta) போட்டி [ˈpoːʈi] - competition

Pissing contest! :P

Potty potty!
Pissing dans la piscine!

User avatar
Ciarán12
Posts: 3316
Joined: 2011-12-31, 15:23
Real Name: Ciarán
Gender: male
Location: Baile Átha Cliath (Dublin)
Country: IE Ireland (Éire / Ireland)

Re: True false friends

Postby Ciarán12 » 2019-01-14, 0:39

OldBoring wrote:
Homine.Sardu wrote:(en) ingenuity (in Italian "ingegnosità, ingegno")
(it) ingenuità (in English "naivety, innocence")

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat


Yeah, PT also: ingênuo - naïve

Linguaphile
Posts: 1694
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: True false friends

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-01-14, 1:03

Ciarán12 wrote:
OldBoring wrote:
Homine.Sardu wrote:(en) ingenuity (in Italian "ingegnosità, ingegno")
(it) ingenuità (in English "naivety, innocence")

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat


Yeah, PT also: ingênuo - naïve

(en) ingenuous naive, innocent, unsuspecting ((es) ingenuo)
(en) ingenuity cleverness, inventiveness ((es) ingenio)
(en) ingenious creative, clever, inventive ((es) ingenioso)


Return to “General Language Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest