Duolingo

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

johnklepac

Re: Duolingo

Postby johnklepac » 2013-11-02, 22:20

German sentence: "Die Untersuchung beginnt vor sieben Uhr am Morgen."
My translation: "the examination begins before 7:00 in the morning" (I don't bother to capitalize.)
Correct answer: "The examination begins before 7 in the morning."
And I got it wrong.

Are you FREAKING kidding me.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-11-03, 1:57

With the Android app sometimes you get something wrong because the answer is incorrect. I missed one yesterday because the answer it wanted was something like "These are are new books" when it should have been "These are the new books". Aggravating--and on the app you don't have a function to report problems like that.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-11-03, 4:00

johnklepac wrote:German sentence: "Die Untersuchung beginnt vor sieben Uhr am Morgen."
My translation: "the examination begins before 7:00 in the morning" (I don't bother to capitalize.)
Correct answer: "The examination begins before 7 in the morning."
And I got it wrong.

Are you FREAKING kidding me.

Yes stuff like that gets so ANNOYING. I have given up a few lessons because of that.
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2013-11-03, 4:09

I actually feel like Duolingo is very forgiving to me... Sometimes I give pretty odd translations and it'll accept them. Duolingo must play favorites. :whistle:
I haven't done much on the app version though. I hate the set-up of the app.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-11-03, 16:59

I simply got tired of how repetitive it was. No, I don't need you to ask me five times how to order a fish sandwich in German. I got it the first time.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-11-03, 21:51

mōdgethanc wrote:I simply got tired of how repetitive it was. No, I don't need you to ask me five times how to order a fish sandwich in German. I got it the first time.

Yeah I hate that too. It gets so annoying to here the same sentances over and over.
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-11-03, 22:13

Once you get further down the tree you start to get a lot more variety. Except for this one sentence, "Meine zwei Söhne lesen die Zeitung". I probably get that one every day.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-11-04, 1:37

I suspect that it is programmed to repeat sentence you mess up several times like five times in a row.

I am annoyed by the practice reminder on the phone, it just seems to work at random - some days it doesn't even show up then today it comes up even though I already did few exercises :evil:

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2013-11-05, 15:35

mōdgethanc wrote:I simply got tired of how repetitive it was. No, I don't need you to ask me five times how to order a fish sandwich in German. I got it the first time.

"The elephant is eating rice." is all over the Spanish lessons. All animals seem to eat rice only, just like humans.
Please correct my mistakes!

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-11-05, 17:36

That's exactly what I like about Duolingo, repetition is a good way of learning things. Guess you're just too smart for it.
Though until now I get it all after one time too, but I like the sound of having it right, haha.

I think the sentences sometimes are a bit odd though. I get why they do it, but really: the grandmother is my mother...?
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-11-05, 17:41

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:

That's exactly what I like about Duolingo, repetition is a good way of learning things. Guess you're just too smart for it.
Though until now I get it all after one time too, but I like the sound of having it right, haha.

I think the sentences sometimes are a bit odd though. I get why they do it, but really: the grandmother is my mother...?

There's a Twitter account for things like that.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-11-05, 19:20

Lovely, thanks!
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-11-05, 19:57

BTW, everyone, if you go into the Vocabulary section (tab at the top), you can opt to remove certain words by clicking on the word in your vcabulary list and clicking on the "Remove from practice" option on the right. That will remove all sentences that word occurs in from the "rotation".

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2013-11-05, 21:14

Car wrote:

"The elephant is eating rice." is all over the Spanish lessons. All animals seem to eat rice only, just like humans.

I don't remember there being many other foods introduced. I actually ended up downloading another app for vocabulary

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-11-05, 22:21

Car wrote:"The elephant is eating rice." is all over the Spanish lessons.
Yeah, for German it's "The dog is eating rice." I don't remember even getting that wrong the first time...

All animals seem to eat rice only, just like humans.
I like deluding myself that carnivores don't exist in nature, so I don't mind.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2013-11-06, 1:39

Well I signed up recently and yeah, it gets quite repetitive, so it's kinda like school. But at least it makes it easier to remember vocabulary and rules. Kinda like math, I guess.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-11-06, 17:31

It is - up to a point. Like I said, If I've gotten it right the last five times, I don't need to reinforce any more, now do I? Perhaps that time could be better spent on learning some different vocabulary so that I know how to say more things in German than "fish sandwich".
I like deluding myself that carnivores don't exist in nature, so I don't mind.
Tell that to my cats.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-12-10, 14:53

"English for Russian speakers" Duolingo module is about to come out!
http://incubator.duolingo.com/courses/en/ru/status

I have this friend who is a complete beginner in English and who asked me to help him with it so I'm definitely going to try Duolingo on him.

On a side note, I also tried Assimil and one of those fancier communicative courses called "Cutting Edge", and Assimil works so much better for us. I was always skeptical about those communicative methods, I wonder if they have been effective for anyone. Perhaps I just can't use them right.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-12-10, 15:04

I would be curious to try the Assimil Hebrew course, but the price is too of a pain in the neck, and honestly I don't feel like spending around 90 euros without having the certainty that it will be a useful tool which is really worth 90E.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-12-10, 15:47

IpseDixit wrote:I would be curious to try the Assimil Hebrew course, but the price is too of a pain in the neck, and honestly I don't feel like spending around 90 euros without having the certainty that it will be a useful tool which is really worth 90E.

I'm having the same problem. I have the pdf for Assimil Hebrew, but I feel like without the audio it's a bit pointless. I haven't seen anywhere where I can buy the audio on its own...

Return to “General Language Forum”