Duolingo

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Duolingo

Postby voron » 2013-09-19, 15:08

Worked like a charm for me, both on my desktop and on my tablet (win RT) IE browser!

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-09-19, 16:17

Cool. I recall it was giving me the worse problems in Firefox but iit wasn't working right in Chrome either. Haven't tired it on my Kindle (which is Android), but I will.

Looking at it now--they apparently have changed things around so hopefully they resolved the earlier problems I was having. I am still listed as at level 8 in French and German, but will have to restart all the trees from the beginning. Fair enough. Can use the review!

My Duolingo name is Ceid-Donn, similar to my Unilang name, if anyone wants to find me there.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-09-20, 19:26

ceid donn wrote:Looking at it now--they apparently have changed things around so hopefully they resolved the earlier problems I was having. I am still listed as at level 8 in French and German, but will have to restart all the trees from the beginning. Fair enough. Can use the review!
Try Lesson Practice if you'd like your review more rapid; it covers everything you have.

My Duolingo name is Ceid-Donn, similar to my Unilang name, if anyone wants to find me there.
I have. Interestingly, you're only a couple of lessons behind me in German (but much further in Spanish, and I haven't even tried French).

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-09-21, 3:25

johnklepac wrote:Try Lesson Practice if you'd like your review more rapid; it covers everything you have.

I am doing a little of both. Since I'm not really competing with anyone, I'm just going at a pace I like. I did a lot yesterday and thankfully had no problems. But some of the lessons I haven't reviewed in over a year and they added new material to some lessons since I last was active there, so some lessons I have to redo anyhow because I haven't unlocked that new material.

I started doing the Spanish too. I could always use more Spanish. Can't wait until they add Japanese.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2013-09-25, 18:39

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-25, 19:51

Why is Europanto front and centre? There can't be that many people who want to learn it.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-09-25, 19:57

lol at the Klingon.

I've never liked Esperanto and I don't see the appeal.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-25, 19:58

Lur wrote:lol at the Klingon.
Qapla'!

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-09-26, 4:19

I think it's cool, but with them just having user's add languages wouldn't it be like livemocha? And livemocha courses are terrible lol
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-09-26, 21:59

Meera wrote:I think it's cool, but with them just having user's add languages wouldn't it be like livemocha? And livemocha courses are terrible lol
I'd like to think there'd be some kind of verification/authentication process, even if only communally (e.g. user ratings or reports for poor quality). Otherwise countless troll-courses would sprout up, like a "Chinese" program consisting of endless chings and chongs or something like "Ghetto Talk." (However, I don't mind the idea of someone posting a self-created conlang, for example, if it's labeled as such.)

I'm starting to get a little sick of Duolingo, since it's getting more difficult to make it to the end of a German lesson without screwing up at least four times on declensions, particularly with articles. I don't mean to denounce it altogether - I'm sure some users appreciate that focus - but as a rule I care more about listening, reading, and quantity than speaking, writing, and quality (inb4 "we've noticed"), so I'd rather the balance be tilted in favor of vocabulary.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-09-26, 23:38

johnklepac wrote:
Meera wrote:I think it's cool, but with them just having user's add languages wouldn't it be like livemocha? And livemocha courses are terrible lol
I'd like to think there'd be some kind of verification/authentication process, even if only communally (e.g. user ratings or reports for poor quality). Otherwise countless troll-courses would sprout up, like a "Chinese" program consisting of endless chings and chongs or something like "Ghetto Talk." (However, I don't mind the idea of someone posting a self-created conlang, for example, if it's labeled as such.)

I'm starting to get a little sick of Duolingo, since it's getting more difficult to make it to the end of a German lesson without screwing up at least four times on declensions, particularly with articles. I don't mean to denounce it altogether - I'm sure some users appreciate that focus - but as a rule I care more about listening, reading, and quantity than speaking, writing, and quality (inb4 "we've noticed"), so I'd rather the balance be tilted in favor of vocabulary.

Oh then that would be really cool! and Yeah I know what you mean, sometimes I get so frustrated with the lessons because I have to redo it if I miss three hearts and for stupid mistakes too :P
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

dan3697

Postby dan3697 » 2013-09-27, 0:35

mōdgethanc wrote:Qapla'!

True, but 'tis a shame that nobody actually pronounces the glottal stop these days, even though it's pretty damn important. Well, to add to it, most people just disregard pronunciation entirely. Oh that laryngeal there? Fuck it. Those retroflexes? Fuck them. It's like modern English pronunciation (in the lack of actual pronunciation), only more alien [pun not intended].
If Hangul is based on shapes of mouth positions, then the Koreans must be Martians. Do I like, get a show on the History channel now?
.اگاگاھاۋاگىيۇد تاچامىيۇداب

My Conlangs: Vérédæntsk, Tagawaha, Слувидроватскиј, Dareqar, Matoran (reconstruction of the Bionicle language), Krndmaz, Þęndeś, Sutspiki, Gwornligh

I've formulated a conjecture as to the nature of language change. Every language change began with one guy saying, "I'm gonna say this a certain way, let's see if it catches on..."

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-09-27, 15:45

dan3697 wrote:True, but 'tis a shame that nobody actually pronounces the glottal stop these days, even though it's pretty damn important. Well, to add to it, most people just disregard pronunciation entirely. Oh that laryngeal there? Fuck it. Those retroflexes? Fuck them. It's like modern English pronunciation (in the lack of actual pronunciation), only more alien [pun not intended].
What laryngeals?

Klingon is supposed to have a bizarre-sounding phonology to make it more alien to English speakers (and speakers of any Earth language). The problem is most Star Trek fans are not linguists and don't care about details like what a uvular affricate is. And who can blame them? Only nerds are into that stuff.

dan3697

Postby dan3697 » 2013-09-28, 1:24

mōdgethanc wrote:Klingon is supposed to have a bizarre-sounding phonology to make it more alien to English speakers (and speakers of any Earth language). The problem is most Star Trek fans are not linguists and don't care about details like what a uvular affricate is. And who can blame them? Only nerds are into that stuff.

I said 'laryngeal' as a sort of joke, due to the consonants' alienish sounds, and due to the term's general synonymy with the glottal consonants. Also, I see what you did there with those italics. Well played.
If Hangul is based on shapes of mouth positions, then the Koreans must be Martians. Do I like, get a show on the History channel now?
.اگاگاھاۋاگىيۇد تاچامىيۇداب

My Conlangs: Vérédæntsk, Tagawaha, Слувидроватскиј, Dareqar, Matoran (reconstruction of the Bionicle language), Krndmaz, Þęndeś, Sutspiki, Gwornligh

I've formulated a conjecture as to the nature of language change. Every language change began with one guy saying, "I'm gonna say this a certain way, let's see if it catches on..."

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-09-30, 20:33

I just translated a German sentence into English using Duolingo's exact peek-translations (the first ones) for each word. It made sense that way, too, and I got it wrong.

Gettin' real tired of your shit, Duolingo...

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-10-28, 14:51

Okay, this time I typed in a sentence and the link to the next one didn't work. So I just had to click "Don't know the answer? - skip". Except it happened again until I had no more lives.

Gettin' REAL tired of your shit, Duolingo...

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-10-28, 18:21

johnklepac wrote:Okay, this time I typed in a sentence and the link to the next one didn't work. So I just had to click "Don't know the answer? - skip". Except it happened again until I had no more lives.

Gettin' REAL tired of your shit, Duolingo...

Are you using an app? I have several issue with the Android app--doesn't load probably, desn't laod at all, very sluggish, etc.

The full web version is running better than it has in the past. But it still has hiccups. Before I couldn't get the audio to work at all in Firefox and would have to use Chrome, if I could get Chrome to run without crashing. That's why I stopped using Duolingo for several months. Now I only occasionally get a message that the audio's not working, and refreshing it seems to fix it. But it's a free program so hey.

I haven't run into this particular issue in the German tract with it not proceeding to the next sentence, although sometimes the site is sluggish and there's a lag. I just check Twitter or something when that happens. There are also occasionally things that are not very clearly explained, or if you "peek", the translations they give you aren't the best (or in a couple cases I reported, were incorrect). My issue is that they don't really give you much heads up on idiomatic things that don't translate word for word, so I have to just get it wrong, look at their answer and try to remember it. Not the smoothest way to learn, but again, it's free software.

But if gets too aggravating to use, just send them a note about what the problem is and go find another resource. I've done that. And if they implement this noxious color coding nonsense they're talking about, I may do again. :roll:

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-10-28, 20:49

ceid donn wrote:Are you using an app? I have several issue with the Android app--doesn't load probably, desn't laod at all, very sluggish, etc.
Nope, it's the website. As I'm trying it again, it's fine now, though. My main problems with the site are that sometimes it speaks too quickly and without enunciation and that sometimes I'll type in the exact translation after "peeking" at every word and still get it wrong.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-10-31, 16:27

I've added a couple of you on Duolingo. Just tried the website for the first time today, I used to use only the app, it works fine here :)

The only thing that's difficult for me is that it's not in Dutch, so I end up losing lives just because I didn't know the English (the spelling of breakfast for instance...), and the you/you, Du/Sie-thing is more confusing than necessary now. But apart from that, I enjoy Duolingo :)
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-10-31, 21:51

Did you guys read this: http://blog.duolingo.com/post/532072773 ... o-proposal ?

A Italian guy whose American girlfriend learns Italian via Duolingo asked the Duolingo team to prepare a lesson for her that ends with the main question "Will you marry Flavio"?

Awesome!

I stopped doing my Spanish exercises as I'm not interested in Spanish that much, but I liked it nevertheless, and as soon as English via Russian version becomes available (rumours have it that it's been cooking in the incubator) I'm definitely going to recommend it to my friends.

Apparently Duo cannot be used as the only source to learn a langauge, but as a supplementary facility I find it the best among the computer aided learning systems.

Return to “General Language Forum”