Duolingo

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

JasleenKaur
Re: Duolingo

Postby JasleenKaur » 2015-12-26, 11:35

This App lets you learn any kind of language and practice anytime anywhere. Love learning languages Duolingo is an app that help you learn easily.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2016-01-01, 16:56

eskandar wrote:As far as I know, salaam or salaam alaikum / assalaam alaikum are far and away the most common greetings used by Pashto speakers. But I'd defer to Meera on this too if she disagreed.

The most common way to say Hi/Hello is Salaam. If you are talking to adults or respectful people it is considered nicer to say Salaam Alaikum. :P
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-01, 19:00

Thanks, Meera! :)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-02, 0:56

Alaikum must be the Pashto gozaimasu or seumnida/hamnida.
JasleenKaur wrote:This App lets you learn any kind of language and practice anytime anywhere. Love learning languages Duolingo is an app that help you learn easily.

Thank you very much. Now I've learnt that Duolingo is for learning languages.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2016-01-02, 0:58

OldBoring wrote:Alaikum must be the Pashto gozaimasu or seumnida/hamnida.
JasleenKaur wrote:This App lets you learn any kind of language and practice anytime anywhere. Love learning languages Duolingo is an app that help you learn easily.

Thank you very much. Now I've learnt that Duolingo is for learning languages.

Ne sois pas facétieux! :D
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2016-01-02, 9:22

OldBoring wrote:Alaikum must be the Pashto gozaimasu or seumnida/hamnida

Not really. First of all it's a set phrase borrowed from Arabic. "Salaam" means 'peace' and "alaikum" means "be upon you". So most people greet each other with "peace" and in more formal settings say "peace be upon you" but you wouldn't use "alaikum" with any other phrase in Pashto, as far as I know.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2016-01-02, 9:27

Thanks, eskandar! :)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2017-12-27, 19:31

Up!

Someone still into Duolingo? What language(s) are you learning with it?
I noticed that the app was very different on an iPhone, that's weird. Apart from that I still really like it. I'm now doing Danish, a lesson each day.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2018-01-02, 18:36

I'm kinda flirting with Guarani for Spanish speakers. :whistle:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-02, 21:52

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Someone still into Duolingo? What language(s) are you learning with it?
I noticed that the app was very different on an iPhone, that's weird. Apart from that I still really like it. I'm now doing Danish, a lesson each day.

I meant to respond to this when you first posted it, but then didn't and then forgot! I'm not using Duolingo anymore, and haven't for a while. I used to use it, at first to finish the trees, and then as a vocabulary mine. But lately my brother has gotten into it. He started learning Spanish, and he's been using Duolingo as well as Memrise. I'm quite impressed: he actually follows the whole "do a little bit every day" adage. He told me that the app (on Android) is different from the website, and he thinks that Duo is trying to encourage people to use the app since there are ads on it. He said that with the app, you can get bonus points for getting a certain amount right in a row, whereas you can't on the site.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-02, 22:53

TeneReef wrote:I'm kinda flirting with Guarani for Spanish speakers. :whistle:

If there's anything I want to try from Duolingo beyond what I already have, this is one of them for sure. I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but it's a bit complicated since you have to change the language you even view Duolingo in and stuff. :?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-01-02, 23:39

At least in the web version, switching between courses from different source languages just works these days.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-03, 0:04

Oh wow, you're right! :o Thanks, kevin!

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2018-01-18, 11:45

I took their placement test in French. I was given Level 25, though I have no idea what that means. I tried one module that came after it, it was still a bit too basic, so I wanted to get rid of it... I googled it, I couldn't find how on the app version, so I had to log in to the web version to remove French.

And I notice Klingon is there. Why isn't that listed on the app version? Curious. And I noticed Catalan and Guarani are offered only in Spanish. Hmm.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-18, 13:42

Karavinka wrote:I took their placement test in French. I was given Level 25, though I have no idea what that means

That's actually the highest level in Duolingo.

I think finishing the whole tree will probably get you to something like A2/B1 (depending on the language).

Karavinka wrote:And I notice Klingon is there. Why isn't that listed on the app version? Curious. And I noticed Catalan and Guarani are offered only in Spanish. Hmm.

Some languages are only available in the app version and vice versa. I have no idea why.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-01-18, 15:28

I finally ended up trying Duolingo for the first time last night. I did surprisingly well on the Korean placement exam, passing straight to level 5. I didn't do nearly as well on any of the other exams I tried which leads me to suspect the Korean module is less challenging than some of the others.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-18, 17:05

I have no idea yet why Arabic is still at 0%, but Hindi is at 90% and Indonesian at 71%! Yay!

All three of those are languages I want to add. :P

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-02-03, 13:28

I've been learning Welsh for ages in Duolingo but I feel like I'm not going anywhere. I can count to ten and say that I like vegetables, but I keep forgetting everything else. I think the problem is that at first I tried to get as many levels unlocked as possible because doing the same level again and again is boring. :ohwell:

It seems they've updated the Welsh tree, so I took this as a chance to go back to the start. I'm now trying to repeat each lesson until I can remember the words for longer than one day. I could also try to read the grammar sections (if they are still there). I'm not going to give up because I love Welsh, but I'd probably learn more with a teacher than with Duolingo. It's so easy to press enter enter enter without even trying to memorize the words. No wonder I haven't learnt much. :lol:

vijayjohn wrote:I have no idea yet why Arabic is still at 0%, but Hindi is at 90% and Indonesian at 71%! Yay!

Oh no. I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I see all these languages that I could learn if I just tried... I already have 6 languages that I'm "learning" even tough I haven't got time for any of them really. Send help.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-03, 17:39

I have eight. The last time I actually did anything on Duolingo except try to find new languages to add was probably years ago.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-03, 17:59

Naava wrote:I've been learning Welsh for ages in Duolingo but I feel like I'm not going anywhere. I can count to ten and say that I like vegetables, but I keep forgetting everything else. I think the problem is that at first I tried to get as many levels unlocked as possible because doing the same level again and again is boring.

Wyddwn i ddim dy fod di'n dysgu Cymraeg!

I've been testing out the Welsh lessons and they're frustrating. One problem is the lack of standardisation in the colloquial variety, so it rejects acceptable forms belonging to the variety I'm most comfortable with (e.g. ŷch, rw). It's got to be even worse if you're learning a northern variety.

I really can't imagine seriously using Duolingo to learn a language except in conjunction with other materials. By itself, it just isn't near enough.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “General Language Forum”