Duolingo

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

beispiel
Re: Duolingo

Postby beispiel » 2015-12-13, 6:42

Meera wrote:Are you Afghan too??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm only part Afghan. My father fled to Europe during the Soviet-Afghan war and then he met my mum, who's Danish.

Unfortunately, my parents decided that Danish should be my only native language, so I barely speak any Pashto :cry:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-13, 19:03

beispiel wrote:
Meera wrote:Are you Afghan too??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm only part Afghan. My father fled to Europe during the Soviet-Afghan war and then he met my mum, who's Danish.

Unfortunately, my parents decided that Danish should be my only native language, so I barely speak any Pashto :cry:

You could practice with Meera!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-13, 19:13

dEhiN wrote:
beispiel wrote:

You could practice with Meera!

Or learn and then practice. :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-14, 6:14

Or practice and then learn.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-14, 6:27

How do you practice something you haven't learned at all, though?

Norman

Postby Norman » 2015-12-14, 13:17

Sebastian. wrote:Found out about this site randomly. Sounds like a neat (but perhaps too good to be true) idea.

What do you guys think? :hmm:

Wikipedia wrote:Duolingo is a free language-learning website and crowdsourced text translation platform. The service is designed so that as users progress through the lessons, they simultaneously help to translate websites and other documents.

Link: http://duolingo.com/

Some of my friends think that website very useful.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-15, 0:43

Norman wrote:
Sebastian. wrote:Found out about this site randomly. Sounds like a neat (but perhaps too good to be true) idea.

What do you guys think? :hmm:

Wikipedia wrote:Duolingo is a free language-learning website and crowdsourced text translation platform. The service is designed so that as users progress through the lessons, they simultaneously help to translate websites and other documents.

Link: http://duolingo.com/

Some of my friends think that website very useful.

What about you? Have you tried it? Do you find it useful? If not, what do you find useful?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-16, 3:28

vijayjohn wrote:How do you practice something you haven't learned at all, though?

-Salaam alaikum!
-Salaam alaikum?
-It means hello! Lit. "May Allah be with you!"
-Thank you!

I learned Spanish and Portuguese mostly by practicing them. with speakers. Though they are related to Italian. For languages that are not related to the ones you already know, it's probably not possible.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-16, 7:14

OldBoring wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:How do you practice something you haven't learned at all, though?

-Salaam alaikum!
-Salaam alaikum?
-Thank you!

I learned Spanish and Portuguese mostly by practicing them. with speakers. Though they are related to Italian. For languages that are not related to the ones you already know, it's probably not possible.

Well you still could, depending on your definitions of practice and learn. If you learnt a language solely from talking to native speakers (who would have to also speak your native language, especially a lot at the beginning), you could very slow learn through what is essentially practice. (You know, as opposed to reading some book or taking some course to have a base and then talking with natives).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-16, 7:40

OldBoring wrote:

-Salaam alaikum!
-Salaam alaikum?
-Thank you!

Except considering that Meera's already said on this forum that she's losing her Pashto, I kind of have a hard time envisioning this ever actually happening. :P (I mean, it totally could happen in principle. I just...don't find it a very probable scenario).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-12-16, 8:53

vijayjohn wrote:Except considering that Meera's already said on this forum that she's losing her Pashto, I kind of have a hard time envisioning this ever actually happening. :P (I mean, it totally could happen in principle. I just...don't find it a very probable scenario).

What happening? Meera losing her Pashto? Well she might not lose it completely, but she could be forgetting more advanced stuff that maybe she used to be able to say. I find that with English to a little degree, and I still use English daily! Though in my case it's in the form of taking longer to search for a word, or sometimes not recalling the more advanced word I want to use and would've recalled in a heartbeat prior to starting on a multilingual journey. There are also the few times I get stuck to recall basic words.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2015-12-16, 9:43

Yes, if you don't practice a language on a daily basis, it's very likely that you should loose fluency or vocabulary to some extent (but not completely). Even if it is your mother tongue...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-17, 0:20

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Except considering that Meera's already said on this forum that she's losing her Pashto, I kind of have a hard time envisioning this ever actually happening. :P (I mean, it totally could happen in principle. I just...don't find it a very probable scenario).

What happening? Meera losing her Pashto?

No, beispiel practicing his Pashto with Meera on Skype or whatever.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-12-25, 0:15

OldBoring wrote:-Salaam alaikum!
-Salaam alaikum?
Lit. "peace be upon you" not "may God (Allah) be with you."
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-25, 0:29

Actually I don't think those are even the typical greetings in Pashto. :lol: Although of course Meera would know better than me.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-12-25, 1:04

As far as I know, salaam or salaam alaikum / assalaam alaikum are far and away the most common greetings used by Pashto speakers. But I'd defer to Meera on this too if she disagreed.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-25, 1:42

eskandar wrote:
OldBoring wrote:-Salaam alaikum!
-Salaam alaikum?
Lit. "peace be upon you" not "may God (Allah) be with you."

Yea, actually I heard this etymology before. But for some reason, my mind thought salaam came from "Allah", like *sallahm. :lol:
I also think that's the most common greeting by the Pashtuns, but maybe there's also a native non-Arabic greeting? Idk.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-25, 1:47

OldBoring wrote:maybe there's also a native non-Arabic greeting? Idk.

I've seen something like staṛay/staṛey mə she and staṛi mə shey.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-12-25, 2:26

[flag=]fr[/flag] Star est m'sieur.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-12-25, 7:31

vijayjohn wrote:
OldBoring wrote:maybe there's also a native non-Arabic greeting? Idk.

I've seen something like staṛay/staṛey mə she and staṛi mə shey.
That doesn't mean the same thing as "hello" or "salaam alaikum". It literally means "don't be tired" (likely calqued from Persian خسته نباشید ; cf. Turkish "kolay gelsin", Azeri "yol olmasın", and Arabic يعطيك العافية) and can be used alongside other greetings, but if its use is anything like its equivalents in the other languages, it's restricted in use according to setting whereas salaam/salaam alaikum is more universal.

Return to “General Language Forum”