Duolingo

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: Duolingo

Postby Osias » 2021-04-07, 15:02

Eu tentei usar o Duolingo pra aprender coreano mas o curso de coreano era horrendo de ruim.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-04-07, 15:07

Osias wrote:Eu tentei usar o Duolingo pra aprender coreano mas o curso de coreano era horrendo de ruim.

I didn't think it was all that bad. Lingodeer is better though.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-07, 15:08

I'll check that out.

(yay, phrasal verbs!)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-07, 15:44

While the Korean course may be better than Duolingo's, the general idea is the same and it's still ridiculous:

There's even a Korean flag!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-04-07, 17:42

Bro you’re like at the first level.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2021-04-07, 22:43

linguoboy wrote:I'm exciting about the Duolingo Yiddish course hatching tomorrow.

Oh, nice!

But when did Duolingo make testing out of lessons a paid feature? :? At least testing out to the next checkpoint still works, and thankfully it was actually doable for the first two checkpoints (even though I lost three hearts and almost failed...)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-04-07, 23:08

kevin wrote:But when did Duolingo make testing out of lessons a paid feature? :? At least testing out to the next checkpoint still works, and thankfully it was actually doable for the first two checkpoints (even though I lost three hearts and almost failed...)

Sometime last fall? I was bummed.

You can still skip the remaining lessons on a level but doing the first two flawlessly. It's a less forgiving route than testing out of a level all at once, but on the other hand you can cheat (by highlighting unknown words). Fortunately, I built up a huge store of lingots last year and had nothing to spend them on, so I use those to pay for placement. (5 lingots a pop, with a reward of 1 lingot for succeeding sometimes.)

I made a couple of dumb mistakes on the initial placement test for Yiddish and was so annoyed I almost quit and started over. But now I'm making it up by passing individual checkpoints so it's no big.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-08, 0:22

linguoboy wrote:Bro you’re like at the first level.

It's just an example.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-09-25, 17:59

Still haven't touched Duolingo in ages even though one of my former colleagues in grad school who I follow on Twitter now and posts fairly frequently works there :oops:

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2021-10-01, 23:27

I have just returned back to Duolingo. It's easy and fun, especially if I don't have motivation for anything more serious.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-02, 0:26

What language(s) are you doing on Duolingo?

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2021-10-02, 0:42

Indonesian, Catalan, French and Vietnamese mainly. But also Hawaiian, German, Hungarian and Finnish (my Finnish tree is completed, I tested out of most of it). I have also completed Portuguese.
The first language I did on Duolingo was Spanish, but I deleted the tree when I got to a higher level, cause there was no point continuing with simple beginner exercises.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-02, 0:46

If I remember correctly, that was the first language whose tree I completed on Duolingo as well!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-02, 2:11

aaakknu wrote:Indonesian, Catalan, French and Vietnamese mainly. But also Hawaiian, German, Hungarian and Finnish (my Finnish tree is completed, I tested out of most of it). I have also completed Portuguese.
The first language I did on Duolingo was Spanish, but I deleted the tree when I got to a higher level, cause there was no point continuing with simple beginner exercises.

How do you juggle so many? Do you worry about some trees falling behind, especially for practice? For the ones that do, do you restart them, or try to catch up on the practice when you go back to it, or just continue the tree?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-02, 2:14

Are you currently using Duolingo as well? :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-02, 2:35

vijayjohn wrote:Are you currently using Duolingo as well? :)

Currently? No....within the past year? Yes!

Back around December of last year and even into January/February of this year, I started getting back into Duolingo. I posted about it during that time on my language log, if you recall.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-02, 16:10

You post so much on your TAC it's hard for me to keep track of anything! :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-10-02, 18:00

vijayjohn wrote:You post so much on your TAC it's hard for me to keep track of anything! :lol:

Really? Haha, I always feel like I go long stretches of not posting anything. But I guess I also have periods where I post mini-stories several days or weeks in a row.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-02, 18:16

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:You post so much on your TAC it's hard for me to keep track of anything! :lol:

Really? Haha, I always feel like I go long stretches of not posting anything.

Yes, but I mean when you do post something!

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2021-10-04, 14:47

dEhiN wrote:
aaakknu wrote:Indonesian, Catalan, French and Vietnamese mainly. But also Hawaiian, German, Hungarian and Finnish (my Finnish tree is completed, I tested out of most of it). I have also completed Portuguese.

How do you juggle so many? Do you worry about some trees falling behind, especially for practice? For the ones that do, do you restart them, or try to catch up on the practice when you go back to it, or just continue the tree?

I don't do them all everyday: I switch between them. No, I no longer worry about falling behind.
Previously, I restarted or even deleted trees. I restarted Danish multiple times (got to level 10 the first time). No I no longer do Danish. Spanish was the first tree I completed, but I deleted it, when my Spanish got to a level beyond Duolingo. I did Hungarian right after the course was released, deleted it, forgot it, now started again.
Now I decided that I will never delete anything again; I'll just do the revision instead (that way I'll get to level 25 :D ).
I returned back to Catalan after having abandoned it for 2 or 3 years. Now I'm revising lessons from the beginning.

I got to the amethyst league today! :)
TAC 2019

Return to “General Language Forum”