You know you're a language nerd when...

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Chekhov

Re: You know you're a language nerd when...

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-02, 7:00

Eh, I doubt you need to know Spanish or Arabic in Korea. Japanese maybe, if you're a translator or something. What do you use all these old fossils for, anyway?
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2011-12-02, 12:44

Chekhov wrote:Eh, I doubt you need to know Spanish or Arabic in Korea. Japanese maybe, if you're a translator or something. What do you use all these old fossils for, anyway?

Indeed, French, Japanese, Spanish and German have been the most useless thing I have ever learned, even when I was living, studying and working in Canada.

What do you do with a fossil? You just put it on some shelf and look at it. They're absolutely useless but pretty to look at.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
Spoiler Alert: Turkish | -30 Thai | Sink or Zapotec

ich

Postby ich » 2011-12-02, 15:58

When you are sitting in a room full of people and everyone is chatting and you are not really paying attention, you can still pick out someone suddenly say the word "language" out of nowhere from across the room.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2011-12-02, 16:24

ich wrote:When you are sitting in a room full of people and everyone is chatting and you are not really paying attention, you can still pick out someone suddenly say the word "language" out of nowhere from across the room.

Or any word in a foreign language.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2011-12-02, 16:56

I wonder, would a language nerd consider the sounds people use as more important than what they actually intend to say? (I tend to do so. :oops: )
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet.)

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2011-12-02, 19:48

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:I wonder, would a language nerd consider the sounds people use as more important than what they actually intend to say? (I tend to do so. :oops: )

TOTALLY. It happens to me all the time, I begin analyzing people's idiolect or dialect and then get distracted, so I end up not really knowing what they said to me. And it's awkward. :?
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Taunt1

Postby Taunt1 » 2011-12-02, 20:22

I watch Euronews on my TV in English, French, German, Russian, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Arabic and Ukrainian. Too bad it doesn't support Turkish and Persian anymore.

Today scolded one guy for telling me that he wants to learn "semitic" languages like Persian, Farsi and Dari. I told him none of them were semitic and that he in fact said something like: I wanna learn French, Quebec French and Français. lol

Meera

Postby Meera » 2011-12-02, 22:28

Taunt1 wrote:I watch Euronews on my TV in English, French, German, Russian, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Arabic and Ukrainian. Too bad it doesn't support Turkish and Persian anymore.

Today scolded one guy for telling me that he wants to learn "semitic" languages like Persian, Farsi and Dari. I told him none of them were semitic and that he in fact said something like: I wanna learn French, Quebec French and Français. lol

He doesn't even know that Persian, Farsi and Dari are all the same language. :mrgreen: Well sometimes Dari is counted as a different language though :P
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2011-12-02, 22:39

loqu wrote:
Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:I wonder, would a language nerd consider the sounds people use as more important than what they actually intend to say? (I tend to do so. :oops: )

TOTALLY. It happens to me all the time, I begin analyzing people's idiolect or dialect and then get distracted, so I end up not really knowing what they said to me. And it's awkward. :?

I'm worse. As a future interpreter, I've been known to completely disregard what people are saying and just translate everything they say in my head...but without actually paying attention to what they were saying as a whole meant. I mean I still have a general idea of what they were saying but I would be lost if they asked me about details.

...when you hate (okay, hate is a strong word, and it's more "envy" than anything else :D) seeing foreign people speak awesome English on American TV series, wondering how well you would do if you lived in-country.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2011-12-03, 17:52

Kenny wrote:I'm worse. As a future interpreter, I've been known to completely disregard what people are saying and just translate everything they say in my head...but without actually paying attention to what they were saying as a whole meant. I mean I still have a general idea of what they were saying but I would be lost if they asked me about details.
Glad I'm not the only one. :)

If you often switch your keyboard to make it easier to type special signs and then forget to switch it back. The above sentence actually came out as 'Glqd Ičů not the onlz one? .=' Then again, if it wasn't for that fucking AZERTY, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2011-12-03, 20:24

Whenever I type something in French I switch back and forth between the Hungarian and French layouts. So every time I have to type out a letter the Hungarian layout doesn't have I switch to AZERTY and then back to QWERTZ right afterwards. (using shortkeys, obviously)

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2011-12-03, 21:42

Usually I switch back immediately, but sometimes I forget to do that, or I switch and my fingers forget I did. Then I still type q's instead of a's. :roll:

md0

Postby md0 » 2011-12-04, 6:51

when half of your monthly wage is spent on grammar reference books you buy without thinking twice.

when your life dream is to write a grammar of your native dialect for foreigners, and grammars of foreign languages in your native langue.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-12-04, 7:17

meidei wrote:when your life dream is to write a grammar of your native dialect for foreigners
I would without a doubt love an introduction to Cypriot colloquialisms. :D
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2011-12-04, 11:37

meidei wrote:when your life dream is to write a grammar of your native dialect for foreigners, and grammars of foreign languages in your native langue.

Oh man, I felt so identified with this.

There's so much to write about Andalusian. If only I had the time to do proper research.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-12-04, 11:50

loqu wrote:
meidei wrote:when your life dream is to write a grammar of your native dialect for foreigners, and grammars of foreign languages in your native langue.

ME TOO. If only I had the proper motivation and support. :oops:
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Ser

Postby Ser » 2011-12-04, 17:56

loqu wrote:

There's so much to write about Andalusian. If only I had the time to do proper research.
Salvadoran too. In fact it's even worse, since there's at least an amount of published research on your sort of Andalusian, for Salvadoran there's almost NOTHING.

johntm

Postby johntm » 2011-12-04, 18:18

meidei wrote:when your life dream is to write a grammar of your native dialect for foreigners

Maybe not write a grammar, but I do like explaining the ins-and-outs of my dialect of Southern English to people (be it on here, or the yankees that come down here for school).
Native: [flag]en-US[/flag]
Learning: [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag]
"The goal [of learning foreign languages] is to speak not so that you can be understood, but so that you cannot be misunderstood."-Earl W. Stevick
"You either get good at accomplishments or you get good at making excuses."-Anonymous

razlem

Postby razlem » 2011-12-04, 21:08

Pfft. South Carolina isn't the South :P

I could write a multi-volume encyclopedia about the dialects (and creoles) of Southeast Louisiana.
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Bach

Postby Bach » 2011-12-04, 21:15

When you want to learn languages even though you just install floor tiles. :)
I want to learn [flag]fr[/flag] , because I like the sound of it and find it really amazing. I also want to learn [flag]it[/flag] , because I like opera. If I'll be able to comprehend [flag]sl[/flag] grammar and produce the language, then I'll be happy. Adijo !!!

Return to “General Language Forum”