You know you're a language nerd when...

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Michael
Re: You know you're a language nerd when...

Postby Michael » 2011-12-04, 23:04

I plan on publishing two books on Pizzonese Neapolitan: Grammatica del napoletano pizzonese and Vocabolario tematico del napoletano pizzonese. I will write them in Italian first since that's where I need to reach out to in order to receive linguistic help and support. Then I will translate the works into English - Spanish - Portuguese. How many of you would ever be interested in a copy?
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

johntm

Postby johntm » 2011-12-05, 2:24

razlem wrote:Pfft. South Carolina isn't the South :P
Bitch please, SC was the first state to secede.

I could write a multi-volume encyclopedia about the dialects (and creoles) of Southeast Louisiana.

I'd totally read it. I find Cajun French and its history pretty interesting (I haven't looked into it too much, though).

Michael wrote:I plan on publishing two books on Pizzonese Neapolitan: Grammatica del napoletano pizzonese and Vocabolario tematico del napoletano pizzonese. I will write them in Italian first since that's where I need to reach out to in order to receive linguistic help and support. Then I will translate the works into English - Spanish - Portuguese. How many of you would ever be interested in a copy?

I would, because I find the dialects of Italian kind of interesting right now, and I plan on learning (Standard) Italian at some point so I assume that interest will only grow. I'd probably go for a copy in Spanish, English, and Italian. Just because.
Native: [flag]en-US[/flag]
Learning: [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag]
"The goal [of learning foreign languages] is to speak not so that you can be understood, but so that you cannot be misunderstood."-Earl W. Stevick
"You either get good at accomplishments or you get good at making excuses."-Anonymous

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2011-12-05, 10:55

When you choose French on an ATM when withdrawing money and read everything it tells you, annoying the shit out of everyone in line behind you.

MillMaths

Re: You know you’re a language nerd when …

Postby MillMaths » 2011-12-05, 11:49

When you choose French when setting up your newly bought laptop. Which was what I did. When I bought it at the store, the sales assistant actually offered to do the setting up for me. That would have cost me an extra £20 so I refused. Instead I set it up myself – and chose French as the interface language. :good4u: If I had let him set it up for me, he would have chosen English – that is to say, American English. Sorry, I’m not poisoning my eyes by having to look at ugly spellings like "favorites" instead of "favourites" on my own computer. Fuck American English.

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-12-05, 12:02

johntm wrote:

Weren't you originally from Georgia anyway?

md0

Postby md0 » 2011-12-05, 12:27

. . . when you watch films in languages you do understand, cause you are curious about the choices the translator made.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

johntm

Postby johntm » 2011-12-05, 15:41

hlysnan wrote:
johntm wrote:

Yes, that's why I edited my post from "we were the first state to secede". My parents and their parents are from South Carolina though, so I've been going there since I was little, so I know SC pretty well (at least, the upstate).
"The goal [of learning foreign languages] is to speak not so that you can be understood, but so that you cannot be misunderstood."-Earl W. Stevick
"You either get good at accomplishments or you get good at making excuses."-Anonymous

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2011-12-05, 16:49

meidei wrote:. . . when you watch films in languages you do understand, cause you are curious about the choices the translator made.
That's why I usually watch English films with Dutch subtitles. Or with French, if I'm feeling like it.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2011-12-05, 17:28

I don't do that anymore because 99% of the time at some point I feel like shoving my foot through the screen thinking to myself "MotherFUCKER WHO PUT YOU IN CHARGE OF TRANSLATING THIS SHIT?!".
It's not that their translations don't sound Hungarian enough, it's just that sometimes they have no goddamn idea what the hell a sentence they found a real handy translation for actually means.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-12-05, 17:50

Over here, I have pretty good evidence that the subs they put on at the cinema are generated by EVTRAN, possibly with corrections by humans.

Yes, English proficiency and work ethnics in Vietnam are that amazing.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

johntm

Postby johntm » 2011-12-05, 17:56

Tenebrarum wrote:Yes, English proficiency and work ethic in Vietnam are that amazing.

Related story: my dad worked in Radio Shack after he graduated college, and one of his coworkers was a black guy (<-that comes in to play in a second). Some guy returned a phone (or answering machine or something) that didn't work, and the black guy told my dad they should put it back out for sale. My dad responds by saying it's not ethical to do that, to which the guy responds "Man, what's that got to do with me being black?"

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2011-12-05, 18:00

No, it's not ethical for white Americans to do that. Let black people and Mexicans do it instead.
Last edited by MillMaths on 2011-12-05, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2011-12-05, 18:04

Subtitles here are generally quite good. Sure, there are mistakes sometimes, but it happens just as often that I'd want to compliment the subtitler on a particularly good subtitle.

When you go to a film in the cinema in a foreign language you (more or less) understand, read the bilingual subtitles* and compare both translations with the original, all while being completely engrossed in the film.

*Films in Belgian cinemas are always subtitled in Dutch and French.

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2011-12-05, 18:09

melan wrote:When you go to a film in the cinema in a foreign language you (more or less) understand, read the bilingual subtitles* and compare both translations with the original, all while being completely engrossed in the film.

How can you be engrossed in a film and still manage to read two sets of subtitles at the same time? :shock:

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2011-12-05, 18:11

...when close friends tell you that watching "The Big Bang Theory" reminds them of you for some reason.. :P

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-12-05, 18:17

Sophie wrote:
melan wrote:When you go to a film in the cinema in a foreign language you (more or less) understand, read the bilingual subtitles* and compare both translations with the original, all while being completely engrossed in the film.

How can you be engrossed in a film and still manage to read two sets of subtitles at the same time? :shock:

Practice I guess. People who aren't used to subtitles at all can't read them and be engrossed in a film. So I guess it's just taking it one step further.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-12-05, 18:21

•When you have your iPod Touch in Portuguese and your phone in Spanish and nothing in English.

hlysnan wrote:
johntm wrote:

They're all the same thing to me. (I'm not saying that out of ignorance. I remember in history class we discussed how the Carolina and Georgia colonies were founded for almost similar purposes; although do note that Oglethorpe originally meant for Georgia to be a free/non-slave state.)

Sophie wrote:No, it's not ethical for white Americans to do that. Let black people and Mexicans do it instead.
Nice one, Σοφία. :wink:

Plusquamperfekt wrote:...when close friends tell you that watching "The Big Bang Theory" reminds them of you for some reason.. :P
I've been told this before (many times) too! :para:
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2011-12-05, 19:06

johntm wrote:Related story: my dad worked in Radio Shag

That's what I read and I went WOW COOL STATION.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

johntm

Postby johntm » 2011-12-05, 19:11

Michael wrote:They're all the same thing to me. (I'm not saying that out of ignorance. I remember in history class we discussed how the Carolina and Georgia colonies were founded for almost similar purposes; although do note that Oglethorpe originally meant for Georgia to be a free/non-slave state.)

Georgia was originally a debtors' colony, I don't think SC had any specific purpose (other than agriculture and splitting up the bigass state called "Carolina").

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2011-12-05, 20:53

Rumpetroll wrote:
Sophie wrote:

Practice I guess. People who aren't used to subtitles at all can't read them and be engrossed in a film. So I guess it's just taking it one step further.

Yep, just practice. I've been reading subtitels practically since I could read. And they show a lot of foreign-language programmes and films on TV here, so I get practice almost every day. I do it automatically, I don't have to think about it.

You know, that might be another reason I almost always watch films with subtitles, even when it's in a language I understand well enough without. Because I miss them, the subtitles.

That reminds me, when I was on Erasmus in Finland most DVD's I got from the library had subtitles in Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish. I really liked to watch Scandinavian films with subtitles in a different Scandinavian language, just to see the similarities and differences. Unfortunately, many DVD's here only offer Dutch and French.

Return to “General Language Forum”