suggestions about slavonics

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Æxylis

suggestions about slavonics

Postby Æxylis » 2011-04-28, 7:27

so I've started to get a bit more of an interest in slavic languages lately, and since they seem to be a group of interest to many here I thought this would be an interesting topic for many people, perhaps... anyway, I started russian because I thought it'd be helpful with my studies of certain languages and because many resources are available in it, but since I've started studying it, I've started to really like it. I've since started to become curious about other slavic languages... so I went to the library the other day and got some books on Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Serbian. Here are a few of my observations about them regarding my own interests:

Polish:
really long, odd-looking words with what seems like 4-6 consonants in a row possible (though I realize this is merely a feature of the orthogdraphy)
nasal vowels, this is an interesting feature to me
an active form of the verb być in present tense (not available in russian)
latin alphabet (preferred spelling standard for latin alphabet relative to other slavic langs using the latin alphabet)

Czech:
the feel of this one kinda bugs me a little... I'm not sure why exactly, but Slovak just feels a little nicer to me... perhaps it's the way the words look or the grammar used...
I don't really have much of an opinion about czech, it didn't really strike me as a very interesting language...

Slovak:
I've been told this has features of both western slavic and southern slavic languages... I noticed this a little bit in the forms of the być verb (I'm using the polish spelling regardless of language for the latin alphabet standard for this verb) I didn't look too much further into the language besides that the words look a little nicer to me than the Czech ones and that the być verb resembles southern slavic langs a bit more...

Serbian:
I love Serbian's cyrillic alphabet, but I don't like how the latin alphabet is also usable for this language, as the cyrillic alphabet seems more than sufficient and looks much nicer to me than the latin version for this language... the idea of tones in this language seems a bit odd for me and the words feel really simplified compared to the other slavic langs...

Bulgarian:
I looked into this one a bit... the lack of cases kinda bores me for a slavic lang as this seems to me a major feature of the slavic family so without it, this language feels a bit lacking... it also seems to use the cyrillic letter for the u in bulgarian a bit excessively for my liking...

I'm curious about the other cyrillic languages and your opinions about them...

a few things I like and/or don't mind about russian compared to what I said about the previous languages:

it uses the cyrillic alphabet (major plus)
I like the way it makes use of the soft sign to indicate palatalization
I prefer the other slavic languages' verb conjugation style, but I like the russian verbs themselves better, they feel cleaner than the western slavic ones
I like russian grammar, though the noun inflection system seems a little messy... basically I like the use of prepositions and words like chto-to and kto-nibud and whatnot, but the inflectional system for certain groups of commonly used words (like demonstratives and pronouns and whatnot) seems a bit messy...
I don't mind the variable stress, it gives the language character and has an interesting feel... however, I could do without the large amount of odd exceptional word changes like drug -> druzja, etc.

I haven't checked out many of the eastern slavic langs yet, but I intend to look into them more... based on what I've said thus far about these langs, do you have any suggestions for ones I might like?
Если хочешь говорить со мной по скайпу, мой скайп нейм - jaakuuta
If you want to speak with me on Skype, my Skype name is jaakuuta

Polonus

Re: suggestions about slavonics

Postby Polonus » 2011-04-28, 8:50

邪悪歌 wrote:
Polish:
really long, odd-looking words with what seems like 4-6 consonants in a row possible (though I realize this is merely a feature of the orthogdraphy)
latin alphabet (preferred spelling standard for latin alphabet relative to other slavic langs using the latin alphabet)

Quite sound and objective observations. That's the way my native language may look like.
I know what turns you off; szczęściarz = a lucky person. Isn't that something? I baptize you = chrzczę cię, ... but that's the charm of it.

I think any representative of the slavic languages will promote his/her language. As for Polish my advice is as follows; take your time, think it over, don't learn it or you will jump into "a well without buttom" as we call it. It is a hellish language. Sometimes we have problems with cases as well. Polish is a linguistic challange, although there are some foreigners who succeded in mastering it to a certain degree. Only to a certain degree. I have never met a foreigner who would speak it the way I do. :)
Unless you want to be an exeption. :D Good luck.
Last edited by Polonus on 2011-04-28, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2011-04-28, 10:48

I recomend Slovak, Slovenian or Kajkavian. :D
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-04-28, 11:09

Polonus wrote:
邪悪歌 wrote:
Polish:

Quite sound and objective observations. That's the way my native language may look like.
I know what turns you off; szczęściarz = a lucky person. Isn't that something? I baptize you = chrzczę się, ... but that's the charm of it.

I think any representative of the slavic languages will promote his/her language. As for Polish my advice is as follows; take your time, think it over, don't learn it or you will jump into "a well without buttom" as we call it. It is a hellish language. Sometimes we have problems with cases as well. Polish is a linguistic challange, although there are some foreigners who succeded in mastering it to a certain degree. Only to a certain degree. I have never met a foreigner who would speak it the way I do. :)
Unless you want to be an exeption. :D Good luck.

I hope to be an exception myself. Wonder how well that'll work out . . . :whistle:

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2011-04-29, 23:40

after listening to the whole "listen to the slavic languages" page in the stories section of the site, I listened to the same text in russian, polish, czech, bulgarian, and serbian, and out of them, the sound of polish appealed to me the most... lately, I've started looking into the other eastern slavlangs too... both ukrainian and white russian have an interesting feel to them... something appealing about the idea of learning white russian though :lol:

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-04-29, 23:43

Ła łingua połonese ła xe ła łingua cul sonido bellissimo, e croata ła xe ła łingua cul orthographia bellissima. Non mi piace cirillico.
Last edited by Lenguas on 2011-04-29, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2011-04-29, 23:47

I'd have to disagree on that, I much prefer the serbian orthography (cyrillic ftw)
if only they didn't use that j that stands out so much against the pretty cyrillic...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-04-29, 23:49

I'm probably somewhat biased, but Polish is awesome! :<3:
I can't wait to start studying it again! I've just got to hold on a little longer . . .

The orthography isn't that bad (to me). Kind of reminds me of Irish with the use of the i's and digraphs.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2011-04-29, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2011-04-29, 23:53

polish is pretty awesome... just looking at a sentence in it kinda scares me, but once I get beyond the sentence as a whole and try to look at individual words then it doesn't seem as intimidating

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-04-29, 23:55

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I think it looks worse than it actually is.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2011-04-30, 7:08

Slavonic is a weird word, somehow it reminds me of Slavonia. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavonia
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-04-30, 10:14

Reminds me of Old Church Slavonic. :whistle:

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2011-04-30, 17:13

Staroslavenski? ;)

and not staroslavonski :mrgreen:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-04-30, 18:40

You're all wrong. It's the Slavic Ebonics.

Palabriscious

Postby Palabriscious » 2011-04-30, 22:15

I actually find Czech a Lot more attracting than Slovak. I like it's ortography and sound more. But Polish is also very awesome. It looks to me as the most difficult Slavic language and is quite unpronounceable to me.
Deutsch, English, Magyar, Suomi, Eesti Keel, Svenska, Norsk, Español, Русский, Portuguese, Italiano.

Veqq

Postby Veqq » 2011-05-01, 2:57

Српскиииииииииии!
Skype me: Veqqio
Ich lern Deutsch. я учу русский.

Æxylis

Postby Æxylis » 2011-05-01, 3:07

А почему любешь српски более, чем другие славянские языки?

Veqq

Postby Veqq » 2011-05-01, 3:23

Zvuči lepo, čini smisla za mene, gramatika je strašan i zabavan, ne izgleda da glupavo teško bez ikakwog razloga. :P

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-05-01, 3:26

Македонски јазик е најдобар. Би сакал да можем да зборувам подобро.

Veqq

Postby Veqq » 2011-05-01, 3:45

Нет.

Return to “General Language Forum”