Ugliest language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

ego

Re: Ugliest language

Postby ego » 2010-07-31, 17:47

Oleksij wrote:Oh, and Cypriot Greek. They speak as if they have hot potatoes in their mouths.

One of my friends calls Cypriots 'mosquitoes' because of the way they emphasize 'z' and 's' as well as their 'j' sound. You end up hearing smth like zzz..ss...zzz...j..zz...j... :D

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2010-07-31, 18:44

Reveuse wrote:
Emandir wrote:Yes, I've seen Babettes gæstebud and a couple of von Trier's movies: Danish is a delight compared to Dutch!

Nan mais c'est pas gentil ça :( :P.
Je ne me targue pas d'être gentil : juste d'être réaliste ! :P
I don't claim to be kind: just to be realist.
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-07-31, 22:15

Emandir wrote:just to be realistic

:wink:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-08-01, 0:19

I don't understand why people talk about Castilian and Latin American Spanish as if they were different languages. The hardest variety for me to understand (that I'm normally exposed to) is Andalusian Spanish. The only time I realize someone is speaking either is the absence or presence of ceceo.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-08-01, 0:40

Talib wrote:I don't understand why people talk about Castilian and Latin American Spanish as if they were different languages. The hardest variety for me to understand (that I'm normally exposed to) is Andalusian Spanish. The only time I realize someone is speaking either is the absence or presence of ceceo.

A big thing for me is yeismo, that helps me identify different dialects pretty well.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2010-08-01, 9:36

Talib wrote:I don't understand why people talk about Castilian and Latin American Spanish as if they were different languages. The hardest variety for me to understand (that I'm normally exposed to) is Andalusian Spanish. The only time I realize someone is speaking either is the absence or presence of ceceo.

are you usually exposed to Andalusian? How is that?

A big part of Andalusian doesn't do ceceo but seseo though, including the dialect of the Andalusian capital (Seville).
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2010-08-01, 12:52

For some reason I like nearly all languages, even the one that I perceive as being harsh and ugly as it always depends on the situation... If I wanted to shout at someone and insult him, I wouldn't use a soft and sweet language, but something which makes your ears bleed... :P

Additionally, no language is always beautiful or always ugly - it always depends on how you pronounce it. Even French can sound like Klingon, if you try hard. :mrgreen:

But to be honest - I personally dislike Arabic. I have nothing against their culture or something like that, but their language sounds just like what you hear in horror movies about exorcisms. :P

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2010-08-01, 14:59

Plusquamperfekt wrote:But to be honest - I personally dislike Arabic. I have nothing against their culture or something like that, but their language sounds just like what you hear in horror movies about exorcisms. :P
You can't say you dislike "Arabic": Moroccans, Tunisians, Egyptians or Iraqis don't speak the same way at all...
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-08-01, 19:49

A big thing for me is yeismo, that helps me identify different dialects pretty well.
Actually I never hear lleísmo, only yeísmo. Anyone who actually distinguished ll from y would sound very archaic to me.
are you usually exposed to Andalusian? How is that?
Yes, my teacher is from Granada.
You can't say you dislike "Arabic": Moroccans, Tunisians, Egyptians or Iraqis don't speak the same way at all..
No, but to the casual observer all Arabic is the ugly, harsh and grating speech of brown terrorists on planes in bad Hollywood action movies.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2010-08-01, 22:25

There was a movie which had "Arabic" terrorists speaking Hungarian in it. :lol:

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2010-08-02, 0:51

@ Talib

I hear people speaking Arabic every day in the tube, I don''t need to rely on bad hollywood movies...
And of course you're right - there are lots of varieties, but until now I haven't ever heard a dialect which does not have tons of uvular and pharyngeal as well as emphatic consonants - it seems to me that all Arabic dialects share this feature, correct me if I'm wrong. So it's really because of its sound.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-08-02, 2:14

There's no accounting for taste, but I don't see what's wrong with uvular or pharyngeal consonants. The popular conception that certain languages are "guttural" because they have segments pronounced at the velum or further back has never made much sense to me.

I recommend you try listening to Moroccan and then Lebanese Arabic and telling me you don't hear a difference.
Last edited by mōdgethanc on 2010-08-02, 4:09, edited 1 time in total.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-08-02, 2:56

Talib wrote:There's no accounting for taste, but I don't see what's wrong with uvular or pharyngeal consonants. The population conception that certain languages are "guttural" because they have segments pronounced at the velum or further back has never made much sense to me.

I recommend you try listening to Moroccan and then Lebanese Arabic and telling me you don't hear a difference.

I agree with you, but he could just not like any Arabic dialect. I'm kind of the same with Dutch, I've heard all kinds of dialects, but they all sound terrible to me. That being said, Levantine Arabic is my favorite, I can't understand how someone couldn't love it <3
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-08-02, 4:10

it's just Darija and Levantine are so different they're more or less distinct languages, whereas Belgian Dutch is like standard Dutch with more palatals. So it would help to be exposed to various kinds of Arabic before making a value judgment about any of them.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2010-08-03, 6:57

ILuvEire wrote: <c> for /dʒ/?! You've gotta be fucking kidding!

Not at all when considering this relation:
د ج ب ا
A B C D

At least to us with an Aramaic-script background, it sounds a sensible choice.

On a side note, I personally think «j» better suits ژ

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-08-04, 1:25

That's a coincidence: G is C with a line added, just like ج is ح with a dot added.
If you're used to French. For Spanish speakers it's خ and for Germans it's ي.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2010-08-04, 3:01

Talib wrote:That's a coincidence: G is C with a line added, just like ج is ح with a dot added.

But traditionally here, ابجد is compared with ABCD.

Talib wrote:
If you're used to French. For Spanish speakers it's خ and for Germans it's ي.

Not because of being used to a European language but the relation of ʒ and dʒ in (Persian) phonology. For example, hejdah هجده/هژده. «j» can never sound خ to us, let alone ی for which there's «y».

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-08-04, 6:51

But traditionally here, ابجد is compared with ABCD.
Yes, but who uses that alphabetical ordering anymore? It's hardly ever used in Arabic. The objection is more than <c> never sounded like ج in any other language but Turkish until it was decided in 1928 to add this usage to the Turkish alphabet, I guess to maintain the relation with <ç>.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2010-08-05, 2:17

Talib wrote:Yes, but who uses that alphabetical ordering anymore? It's hardly ever used in Arabic.

It has still some uses. For example, we use it in tests (الف، ب، ج، د) as «a, b, c, d». Or, in numbering the statements of an ordered list (in agreements, …) There are also abjad crosswords. However, ordinary people just know the first four letters (ابجد) by heart.

Talib wrote:The objection is more than <c> never sounded like ج in any other language but Turkish until it was decided in 1928 to add this usage to the Turkish alphabet, I guess to maintain the relation with <ç>.

Yes, breaking the custom code :)

Franco

Postby Franco » 2010-08-08, 10:03

Dutch. In comparison German sounds soft as silk and mellifluous. Also Hebrew and Arabic are strong contenders.

Return to “General Language Forum”