Ugliest language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Michael

Re: Ugliest language

Postby Michael » 2010-07-29, 6:50

(this was a warped duplicate of my following post)
Last edited by Michael on 2010-07-30, 2:05, edited 1 time in total.
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2010-07-29, 6:52

Sirach wrote:But there is that sense of exoticism that may make a language sound interesting... French used to be exotic to me, but as I ended up making French immersion friends, going to QC for two months, listening to the language, etc. it just sounds... normalised. The element of exoticism in French of which I perceived as sensual and romantic disappeared on me, lol.

En particulier quand on parle le joual la... :D

The exact same with me and Portuguese. Before when I only heard Brazilians speak and Portuguese sing, it just sounded like gibberish to me..

Nowadays Brazilian Portuguese literally sounds similar to its sister French, especially when you consider the consistency of that sound which is like a Parisian r; of a slightly different variation of those nasal sounds we associate with French; of the addition of 2+ simple affricates (dʒ+tʒ); and finally, of the loss of the final -r! Yay! Which makes me love the songs of Fafá De Belém (pron., fafah jee behleym) even more! (Not really because of that!)

Now I love European Portuguese and its long literary history, longer general history, and especially its fado, but as the Onion says, it really just sounds like people speaking Spanish with their mouth full of olives! They need to speak slowly! And enunciate! (The Brazilians enunciate too much perhaps!)

Logo, parabéns com as suas estudes com qualquer línguas que estejam estudando! O português fica certo do espanhol em os meus línguas amadas. E espero também que vocês tenham sorte com todas outras das suas aventuras lingüísticas!
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-07-29, 9:37

I don't like calling any language "ugly" but I definitely don't enjoy listening to Portuguese and Dutch.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2010-07-29, 11:37

ILuvEire wrote:
Czwartek wrote:I'm sure I've heard the voiceless velar fricative in the word ikke in some dialect, but I could be mistaken.

I think you're thinking of maybe a voiceless palatal fricative. I've heard that in words like ikke.

Exactly, that's why it's spelt "ikkje" in Nynorsk.

I don't know how you perceive the voicelass palatal fricative Czwartek, but people from the southern half of Sweden learning German often mistake it for our back sje-sound, which is, or is very close to, the voiceless velar fricative.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2010-07-29, 16:58

I can’t think of any languages I might dislike. Sometimes I think I might actually dislike English – especially American variants –, but I’m so used to it I can’t ‘feel’ the way it sounds anymore. I didn’t particularly like Spanish in the past, but nowadays I actually do.

Carioca Portuguese is pain to my ears, though. :P
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Sirach

Postby Sirach » 2010-07-29, 18:34

Michael wrote:The exact same with me and Portuguese. Before when I only heard Brazilians speak and Portuguese sing, it just sounded like gibberish to me..

Now I love European Portuguese and its long literary history, longer general history, and especially its fado, but as the Onion says, it really just sounds like people speaking Spanish with their mouth full of olives! They need to speak slowly! And enunciate! (The Brazilians enunciate too much perhaps!)

Hahaha, I'm so used to listening and hearing to joual that when I hear Parisien spoken by people in Canada asides from the television, I become stupefied with confusion. :mrgreen:

Meh, I would rather onions in their mouths than Brazilian Portuguese with a completely open mouth, like seeing food...

I really dislike Brazilian Portuguese pronunciation, in comparison to European. Always have... I love Portuguese... just never Brazilian, although I love their culture in itself.

Talib wrote:I also had a Taiwanese instructor (actually a native of Nantong 南通 in Jiangsu). This caused some difficulties for many of my classmates because of her inconsistent attempts to distinguish the retroflex series. (She seemed to hypercorrect as often as merge.) But I appreciated the fact that she tolerated my saying 哪裡? instead of 哪兒?. (I do say nǎr sometimes, but only the way I do yìdiǎnr--i.e. as a joke.)

Hahaha... nar... yidianr... Most of my Mandarin language classmates were Cantonese speaking Hongcouverites, so even when I was using Taiwanese pronunciation, people could still understand, and my instructor, perhaps somewhat kind, tolerated my linguistic misbehaviour. ;)

Just like how I'm used to speaking French joual instead of the Parisien generally taught in schools... :twisted:

Michael

Postby Michael » 2010-07-30, 2:37

Psi-Lord wrote:I can’t think of any languages I might dislike. Sometimes I think I might actually dislike English – especially American variants –, but I’m so used to it I can’t ‘feel’ the way it sounds anymore. I didn’t particularly like Spanish in the past, but nowadays I actually do.

Carioca Portuguese is pain to my ears, though. :P
I could possibly hate my own native language English slightly :? It's just that I would rather sound better speaking Scottish English. Because I was first spoken to in Neapolitan (being born American still), my adventures with the American letter r have went pretty painful especially, not to mention that when speaking fast I would confuse my r's and w's, and when they collided into wr, total havoc! It's all fixed today, but I still can never seem to get rid of that accent people say I have. Overall I'm pretty proud of the American English dialect, but the language itself I don't sit well with.

Now Psi-Lord, I felt the same way with Portuguese, it sounded so unique from any other language I knew (probably because I barely knew any other language that long ago, or at least how they sounded), but now, I'm used to those distinct bits of both Portuguese dialects which make them unique now. And yeah, in the past, Portuguese was a language I wanted to avoid (such as I do with Finnish), yet now, I love it as much as my own Spanish and Neapolitan!

BTW: I'm learning to speak Brazilian Portuguese in the Carioca accent :twisted: I hope that doesn't disappoint you, being from São Paulo and not Rio de Janeiro! Logo boa sorte com as tuas experiências com os falantes do dialecto carioca! Boa sorte também quando fores no Rio da próxima vez! Oh, e devo admitir a todos vocês que uso um spellchecker quando escrevo o português a máquina!

ich

Postby ich » 2010-07-30, 7:09

As a whole, I have to agree that English is pretty ugly. I don't like most of the American dialects. I really only like the dialect around the Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana areas, everything else is really ugly.
As far as English in other countries go, I like most accents, especially a Scottish accent or Nova Scotian accent.

Siegel

Postby Siegel » 2010-07-30, 7:43

I like the English language and American accents in particular. I also like accents from Scotland. I don't like proper English accents (from England), I mean the ones that aren't associated with the lower class, but I don't think they're terrible. The only accent I really think is kind of ugly is the Australian accent.

I agree with ich that those southern dialects are nice.
Last edited by Siegel on 2010-07-30, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
^^lol^^

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-07-30, 8:20

As surprising at it may be, I like the Aussie accent. Especially spoken by old women.

svld

Postby svld » 2010-07-30, 12:12

I hate Korean, most southeast asia languages, and every tonal language except the ones (Mandarin with the standard accent of Taiwan, and Minnan with the more zhangzhou sounding varieties among the southern Taiwanese accents) I speak natively.
I don't like spoken Romance in general, too.
Last edited by svld on 2010-08-09, 7:23, edited 1 time in total.

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-07-30, 14:16

I hate Wuhanese accent in China :)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2010-07-30, 16:38

Curiously, by the way, although I’ve said I might’ve disliked English in a parallel dimension, I was thinking of the spoken, everyday language only – I quite like its orthography (with all the quirks, problems and whatnot that come with it), and I think it’s an awesome language for one to sing in. :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2010-07-30, 17:10

Why the hell are you guys arguing? The ugliest language ever is Dutch, full stop!
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

Facebook

Lada

Postby Lada » 2010-07-30, 17:15

Mongol wrote:I've been able to hear Chechen on globalrecordings.net, and it sounds like just about the harshest sounding language I've ever heard, though fascinating to listen to. It's very explosive and abrupt sounding, and sounds as though the speaker had a bad attack of hiccups because of the many ejective consonants and harsh velar sounds.
It also sounds like a tape recording of some one speaking some language backwards !
It sounds more like Klingon than a human language. Still,it's mesmerizing.
Circassian sounds as though the speakers were talking with their mouths full of food !

I happen to hear languages from Caucasus area quite often (there are many people from there around), I do not distinguish them, but all of them sound just like you described Chechen. They are really unpleasant for untrained ears... so all these languages - Chechen, Georgian, Dagestanian etc. - are at number 1 in my list of "ugly" ones and nothing can really beat them.

Arabic and Hebrew sound better, but I don't like them either.
From European languages, I would point at Dutch, at least one its dialect sounds even scary to me...
Unlike many people I dislike how Spanish sounds, can't figure out why many people like it so much...

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2010-07-30, 19:24

I personally dislike the sounds of Mandarin (not Cantonese, it sounds cool), Korean, Portuguese (any variety), nasal redneck American English a la GWB and Latin American Spanish. Oh, and Cypriot Greek. They speak as if they have hot potatoes in their mouths.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
My Youtube Channel
Last.fm

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-07-30, 21:16

Emandir wrote:Why the hell are you guys arguing? The ugliest language ever is Dutch, full stop!

Have you ever heard Danish ?

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-07-31, 5:23

Danish is horrible. I like Castillian Spanish, but I really hate Puerto Rican and Mexican accents. I learned castellano, but it's very hard to speak it here (in NY at least) when every Mexican is whistling at women and hollering "hey chingado!", and then go into proper castillian speech. ;)
My neighbor, who is Mexican from Puebla, has a 16 yr old son. They speak nothing but Spanish at their house. When I fixed their computer last week, I told the son "tu padre tiene que sustituir la tarjeta madre", he said to me "Huh? What are you saying?"
Either he was being a complete maricón and chingado, or he forgot Spanish.
(Sorry, this is the wrong forum for my rant. But el pinchazito siempre dice esa mierda....)
I speak to his parents everyday in Spanish and we never miscommunicate, but he acts like I'm speaking Chinese. My son says the kid downplays the fact that he's Mexican. My son says he's never even heard him speak Spanish....oh well)
Rant off.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2010-07-31, 5:46

Nejimakidori wrote:
Emandir wrote:Why the hell are you guys arguing? The ugliest language ever is Dutch, full stop!

Yes, I've seen Babettes gæstebud and a couple of von Trier's movies: Danish is a delight compared to Dutch!
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

Facebook

Reveuse

Postby Reveuse » 2010-07-31, 7:17

Emandir wrote:
Nejimakidori wrote:

Yes, I've seen Babettes gæstebud and a couple of von Trier's movies: Danish is a delight compared to Dutch!

Nan mais c'est pas gentil ça :( :P.
Native: Dutch - Fluent: French - Advanced: English - Intermediate: German, Catalan, Spanish.

New language I'd like to learn: Swedish

Return to “General Language Forum”