Ugliest language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Levike
Re: Ugliest language

Postby Levike » 2016-06-26, 0:06

suruvaippa wrote:and for Turkic languages I'd need a harsher superlative of "ugly" to describe it.

What would you prefer Turkic languages to use?

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2016-06-26, 17:08

Levike wrote:
suruvaippa wrote:and for Turkic languages I'd need a harsher superlative of "ugly" to describe it.

Turkish, Azeri etc. in Latin script look fine to me.
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting
(smi-sma) (liv) (ka) (eu) (nv) (ru) (sw) eventually...

hayoshan

Postby hayoshan » 2016-06-26, 19:34

suruvaippa wrote:
Levike wrote:

Turkish, Azeri etc. in Latin script look fine to me.

شیندیگیندا لاتین الفباسی ياقسەن با، بیراق عاراب الفباسی ياقمايسیز؟ قاراباستان یاڭی بیرلاشیک الفباسی تۈرک تیللارنی ۇشۇن بۆلیشی یاقشی مۇمکین ويلايمین.

Really, you like the Latin alphabet, so do you dislike the Arabic alphabet? A new, unified, alphabet for the Turkic languages could be good though.
A reflective, contented mind is the best possession — Zarathushtra

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-26, 19:43

hayoshan wrote:Really, you like the Latin alphabet, so do you dislike the Arabic alphabet?

Suruvaippa never said anything about the Arabic alphabet and was talking about Cyrillic.

hayoshan

Postby hayoshan » 2016-06-26, 20:09

vijayjohn wrote:
hayoshan wrote:Really, you like the Latin alphabet, so do you dislike the Arabic alphabet?

Suruvaippa never said anything about the Arabic alphabet and was talking about Cyrillic.

That is why I asked it, many Turkic languages use the Arabic alphabet for writing. For the central Asian Turkic languages, the Arabic is the best in every form.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-06-26, 20:33

Turkic languages don't look great in any script, but at least Latin script makes sense for them. Arabic script looks the best for them, but makes no fucking sense at the linguistic level. Cyrillic is practical, but ugly as shit. Therefore, Latin is best.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2016-06-27, 5:00

hayoshan wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

That is why I asked it, many Turkic languages use the Arabic alphabet for writing. For the central Asian Turkic languages, the Arabic is the best in every form.

I do like the Arabic alphabet aesthetically, but I did not mention it in this context because I lack the ability to differentiate Turkic languages versus other languages that use Arabic script.
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting

hayoshan

Postby hayoshan » 2016-06-27, 5:38

suruvaippa wrote:
hayoshan wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

I do like the Arabic alphabet aesthetically, but I did not mention it in this context because I lack the ability to differentiate Turkic languages versus other languages that use Arabic script.

Many different letters are used for these, Uyghur has ۆۈ öü, and Kirghiz has ۅۉ öü, and others. Some use different letters for more sounds also, Pashto's special ټډڼړږښڼ letters and they even use different g ګ, Urdu's special ٹڈڑے letters and Sindhi has 50 of them I believe. This is not always true, however, Uyghur قىزىل vs قیزیل are the same word that mean red. Different writings of the same words exist on computer use because of font differences and some people like one way more, it may possibly more unified in other countries. I like to use Persian Unicode letters because they connect more smoothly, yet most of them are identical. Though it rests on what font is using, so it is not very important in common.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-27, 5:40

I have a soft spot for Nasta'liq.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-06-27, 6:20

Doesn't everyone? I think Arabic script is a bad fit for Urdu, but damn is that shit ever gorgeous.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2016-06-27, 6:29

vijayjohn wrote:I have a soft spot for Nasta'liq.

I can't help but think it looks like a blend of Arabic calligraphy and musical notation. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-27, 6:50

suruvaippa wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I have a soft spot for Nasta'liq.

I can't help but think it looks like a blend of Arabic calligraphy and musical notation. :P

A blend of musical notation with which style of Arabic calligraphy? Naskh?

hayoshan

Postby hayoshan » 2016-06-27, 7:35

I made a digital calligraphy of ۇيغۇرلار ئۆلگەن ئەلى ئەمەس, Uyghurs are not yet dead, in the shape of a wolf. It is not a terror wolf of nationalist violence, only a common symbol!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-27, 7:51

Aw, nice artwork, hayoshan. Thanks for sharing! :)

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2016-06-27, 11:34

mōdgethanc wrote:Turkic languages don't look great in any script, but at least Latin script makes sense for them. Arabic script looks the best for them, but makes no fucking sense at the linguistic level. Cyrillic is practical, but ugly as shit. Therefore, Latin is best.

Personally, I think Cyrillic isn't that bad; it can even look pretty cool, at least in the context of Kazakh and Kyrgyz. On the other hand, imagine if Finnish was written in the Cyrillic script. It would be hideous, yet some people are actually using it; those might just be people who want to avoid being put on some government list or whatever, I guess, but still. Like, it could look cool, but the reality... well... judge for yourself, heh. Unfortunately, a lot of the shit I'd bookmarked is gone and it's hard to find any real gems because everyone who uses the Cyrillic script for Finnish uses it totally differently. Honestly, it wouldn't even be hard to make it look cool and be practical (more practical than the current Finnish alphabet, actually; I mean, it looks like shit), but it's so pointless that no one even considers it except for some people who don't speak Finnish at all and who have no clue about how Finnish actually works. :P

Hmm, maybe I should start a thread for that...
hayoshan wrote:in the shape of a wolf
http://i.imgur.com/tpwnqip.jpg

hayoshan wrote:wolf

That's actually pretty cool, b-but... wolf? H-how... what... I mean, like, to me, it looks like a puppy. You know, the kind of a weird little gremlin ass thing that sounds like a rubber duck. :D

...and on the topic of ugly languages, what the shit is this shit. I mean, [t̠͡pn̠͡mʲ]? [ŋ͡mk͡p]? Like, really? That would be so awesome if it wasn't so... labial... and so nasal... the two things I dislike most about languages, and this fucking language has pretty much nothing except those two things. :nope:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-27, 15:45

Vlürch wrote:Like, it could look cool, but the reality... well... judge for yourself, heh.

That last one actually doesn't look too bad! Not worse than probably most other languages that use Cyrillic, anyway.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2016-06-27, 18:34

vijayjohn wrote:
Vlürch wrote:Like, it could look cool, but the reality... well... judge for yourself, heh.

That last one actually doesn't look too bad! Not worse than probably most other languages that use Cyrillic, anyway.

I'd agree if the ugly doubled letters were taken care of somehow. It has a bunch of misspellings and nonsensical ass things, anyway, but that's not really relevant to the actual content. Personally, though, if Finnish Cyrillic was more of a thing, I'd prefer <ә ө ү> for <ä ö y> and <є ї ң ґ> for <je ji ng g>. I'm actually starting to think this should really be a thing... which thread should this stuff go in if it's not relevant enough for this one? I mean, since not being ugly is kinda the point...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-06-27, 18:42

Vlürch wrote:I'd agree if the ugly doubled letters were taken care of somehow.

How are those any uglier than the ones that exist when it's written in Roman script, too?

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2016-06-27, 18:54

vijayjohn wrote:
Vlürch wrote:I'd agree if the ugly doubled letters were taken care of somehow.

How are those any uglier than the ones that exist when it's written in Roman script, too?

They're not, and I should've probably been more specific and mentioned I'm talking specifically about things like "piittaamattomat kaalikääryleet kakkaa luukkuun" (indifferent cabbage rolls poop in a hatch). You know, doubled consonants followed by doubled vowels or the other way around, etc. I don't know why, but those are so annoying. Regardless of what script they're in, excessive doubled letters are ugly to my eyes even if the language doesn't sound ugly.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2016-06-28, 3:49

Vlürch wrote:Personally, I think Cyrillic isn't that bad; it can even look pretty cool, at least in the context of Kazakh and Kyrgyz.
Nope. Those languages look like shit.
On the other hand, imagine if Finnish was written in the Cyrillic script. It would be hideous
It would be pretty easy to make one that looks good. I would just use umlauts for the fronted vowels because the Russian system of transcribing them with /ja, jo, ju/ looks shitty.
Honestly, it wouldn't even be hard to make it look cool and be practical (more practical than the current Finnish alphabet, actually; I mean, it looks like shit)
What? It's possible to be more practical than Finnish? I think Finnish looks great.
Personally, though, if Finnish Cyrillic was more of a thing, I'd prefer <ә ө ү> for <ä ö y> and <є ї ң ґ> for <je ji ng g>.
Ew no. Those random-ass letters that were probably created by some Soviet apparatchik look like shit.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Return to “General Language Forum”