Ugliest language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

mōdgethanc
Re: Ugliest language

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-07-28, 5:08

I really really didn't like Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Tagalog, or Malay/Indonesian, Korean and Tagalog were alright, and Teochew surprised me, I like it in theory, but listening to samples, it's terrible!
Other way around for me: I assumed Shanghaiese would sound terrible, but it actually wasn't bad.

I also love the sound of Japanese and think anyone who doesn't is nuts. It's just so smooth and flowing. The exception might be a high-pitched girl's voice.
I actually adore the vowel reduction, it's so sexy. I remember, in a Deolinda video, someone shouts /ˈmuzɨkɐ ˈmuzɨkɐ/!, and I was totally sold. I also really dislike the alveolarization of stops like /d t/ in BP, verdade /veɾˈdadʒi/ hurts my ears. The other big thing I like, is that they go along with the lenition of voiced stops intervocalically, like Spanish. /vɛɾˈð̞að̞ɨ/, muuuch better.
I'm inclined to say that both varieties are awful in their own way. But Brazilian is awful in a way I can tolerate better.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Sirach

Postby Sirach » 2010-07-28, 11:24

I can not stand Vietnamese or Cantonese at all... although Taiwanese Mandarin and Thai are quite lovely. Beijing dialect of Mandarin just sounds pretentious.

Dutch and Danish are very harsh to my ears, and English is just plain ugly. However, German and especially Swedish are very sweet to hear.

Hawai'ian and Tahitian have become completely annoying to my ears, but in contrast Samoan and Maori sound quite pleasant and sweet. Even Fijian is a very smooth language.

Certain Spanish accents and Brazilian Portuguese are plain ugly to hear to me, but I love Iberian Spanish and continental Portuguese, both very beautiful.

Arabic, Somalian and Hebrew are very harsh to my ears...

Punjabi is very ugly, annoying and sounds like Hindi but drunk, and Bengali is okay. Hindi, Sanskrit and Persian are sweet altogether. Tamil and Telugu sound even sweeter!

Mongolian is completely harsh to the ears.

The Westcoast BC aboriginal languages all sound ugly to me. But the Inuit and Cree dialects are very nice to listen to.

Mutusen

Postby Mutusen » 2010-07-28, 12:16

Sirach wrote:English is just plain ugly.

Do you find your own mother tongue ugly? Personaly I couldn't say whether mine is beautiful or ugly; I've always spoken French and it just sounds normal to me. It's hard to imagine how people who don't speak it perceive it.
„Koľko jazykov vieš, toľkokrát si človekom.“

'''

Postby ''' » 2010-07-28, 12:50

when you hear a movie in your language form the next room but haven't yet realised that that's what it is, that's what your language sounds like. I think magyar would sound harsh to a lot of foreigners.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

null

Postby null » 2010-07-28, 13:17

Cantonese
Vietnamese
Wu
German
Russian (plus all slavic languages)
Hindi
Korean

Quevenois

Postby Quevenois » 2010-07-28, 13:54

Hungarian sounds sweet to my ears.
אַ שפראַך איז אַ דיאַלעקט מיט אַן אַרמײ און פֿלאָט

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-07-28, 14:40

I can not stand Vietnamese or Cantonese at all... although Taiwanese Mandarin and Thai are quite lovely. Beijing dialect of Mandarin just sounds pretentious.
I agree. My Chinese tutor is from Taiwan and I like her accent a lot better. Beijing dialect just sounds ridiculous with its constant érhuà.
when you hear a movie in your language form the next room but haven't yet realised that that's what it is, that's what your language sounds like. I think magyar would sound harsh to a lot of foreigners.
Not harsh, but it does sound very funny. The stress is always on the first syllable and there are lots of front rounded vowels and postalveolar sounds. That's how I know it's Hungarian. Oh, and the palatal stops it's famous for.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Mongol

Postby Mongol » 2010-07-28, 14:48

I've been able to hear Chechen on globalrecordings.net, and it sounds like just about the harshest sounding language I've ever heard, though fascinating to listen to. It's very explosive and abrupt sounding, and sounds as though the speaker had a bad attack of hiccups because of the many ejective consonants and harsh velar sounds.
It also sounds like a tape recording of some one speaking some language backwards !
It sounds more like Klingon than a human language. Still,it's mesmerizing.
Circassian sounds as though the speakers were talking with their mouths full of food !

8-) 8-)

8-)

8-)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2010-07-28, 16:15

Czwartek wrote:Both Polish and Norwegian use the unvoiced velar fricative

Nah, Norwegian uses the unvoiced postalveolar fricative, the unvoiced retroflex fricative, and the unvoiced palatal fricative, but not the unvoiced velar one.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2010-07-28, 17:51

I think that any language can sound bad, depending on the person. German sounds the least appealing to my ears.

Talib wrote:Beijing dialect just sounds ridiculous with its constant érhuà.

I love erhua!
我爱儿化!

Siegel

Postby Siegel » 2010-07-28, 18:18

spanish
chinese
japanese
flemish
swiss german
^^lol^^

Sirach

Postby Sirach » 2010-07-28, 19:33

Mutusen wrote:Do you find your own mother tongue ugly? Personaly I couldn't say whether mine is beautiful or ugly; I've always spoken French and it just sounds normal to me. It's hard to imagine how people who don't speak it perceive it.

I have no idea. I was born and raised in English, with Tagalog in the background of things, so I heard both languages. I'm used to hearing English and Tagalog, and I still hold the opinion that both are not the most gorgeous sounding languages in the world.

The amount of vowels and vowel combinations in English are crazy... and the continuous presence of b, d, and g in Tagalog make me go crazy.

But there is that sense of exoticism that may make a language sound interesting... French used to be exotic to me, but as I ended up making French immersion friends, going to QC for two months, listening to the language, etc. it just sounds... normalised. The element of exoticism in French of which I perceived as sensual and romantic disappeared on me, lol.

En particulier quand on parle le joual la... :D

Sirach

Postby Sirach » 2010-07-28, 19:41

Talib wrote:I agree. My Chinese tutor is from Taiwan and I like her accent a lot better. Beijing dialect just sounds ridiculous with its constant érhuà.

I have forgotten all my Mandarin save basic phrases like: "Qing3 zuo4. Qing3 he1 cha2!" Hahaha!

But I used to annoy my Mandarin professor from Beijing in my first year of university when I spoke with a Taiwanese accent, collapsing all my chi, zhi, shi, to ci, zi, and si. :D And no 'er', or 'dianr' but 'dianli'. :D Taiwanese is not only easier on the tongue, but kinder to my ears, lol.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2010-07-28, 20:16

Sirach wrote:
Talib wrote:I agree. My Chinese tutor is from Taiwan and I like her accent a lot better. Beijing dialect just sounds ridiculous with its constant érhuà.

But I used to annoy my Mandarin professor from Beijing in my first year of university when I spoke with a Taiwanese accent, collapsing all my chi, zhi, shi, to ci, zi, and si. :D And no 'er', or 'dianr' but 'dianli'. :D Taiwanese is not only easier on the tongue, but kinder to my ears, lol.

I also had a Taiwanese instructor (actually a native of Nantong 南通 in Jiangsu). This caused some difficulties for many of my classmates because of her inconsistent attempts to distinguish the retroflex series. (She seemed to hypercorrect as often as merge.) But I appreciated the fact that she tolerated my saying 哪裡? instead of 哪兒?. (I do say nǎr sometimes, but only the way I do yìdiǎnr--i.e. as a joke.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2010-07-29, 0:06

Arabic,Danish,Polish,Hungarian,Turkish,Hebrew.

Czwartek

Postby Czwartek » 2010-07-29, 2:37

Johanna wrote:

Nah, Norwegian uses the unvoiced postalveolar fricative, the unvoiced retroflex fricative, and the unvoiced palatal fricative, but not the unvoiced velar one.

I'm sure I've heard the voiceless velar fricative in the word ikke in some dialect, but I could be mistaken.
I speak English natively, Jeg snakker litt norsk, Mówię trochę po polsku, Minä puhun vähän suomea, Türkçe öğrenmek istiyorum

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-07-29, 4:45

AndreiB wrote:Arabic,Danish,Polish,Hungarian,Turkish,Hebrew.

I find that Hungarian has a Russian sound..but a different cadence.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2010-07-29, 6:14

I find that Hungarian has nothing to do with Russian,nor the words,nor the way it sounds

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-07-29, 6:16

Czwartek wrote:
Johanna wrote:

I'm sure I've heard the voiceless velar fricative in the word ikke in some dialect, but I could be mistaken.

I think you're thinking of maybe a voiceless palatal fricative. I've heard that in words like ikke.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Michael

Postby Michael » 2010-07-29, 6:43

Sirach wrote:But there is that sense of exoticism that may make a language sound interesting... French used to be exotic to me, but as I ended up making French immersion friends, going to QC for two months, listening to the language, etc. it just sounds... normalised. The element of exoticism in French of which I perceived as sensual and romantic disappeared on me, lol.

En particulier quand on parle le joual la... :D

The exact same with me and Portuguese. Before when I only heard Brazilians speak and Portuguese sing, it just sounded like gibberish to me..

Nowadays Brazilian Portuguese literally sounds similar to its sister French, especially when you consider the consistency of that sound which is like a Parisian r; of a slightly different variation of those nasal sounds we associate with French; of the addition of 2+ simple affricates (dʒ+tʒ); and finally, of the loss of the final -r! Yay! Which makes me love the songs of Fafá De Belém (pron., fafah jee behleym)! (Not really because of that!)

Now I love European Portuguese and its long literary history, longer general history, and especially its fado, but as the Onion says, it really just sounds like people speaking Spanish with their mouth full of olives! They need to speak slowly! And enunciate! (The Brazilians enunciate too much perhaps!)
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Return to “General Language Forum”