Languages spoken in your city.

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Languages spoken in your city.

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 21:41

linguoboy wrote:Arabic
Mayan (had to ask the speakers to be sure of this one!)

Which varieties of Arabic and which Mayan language(s)?

As far as I know and can remember:

Albanian
Amharic
Angloromani (if that counts)
Armenian
ASL
Balinese
Basque
Bengali
Brazilian Portuguese
Bulgarian
Burmese
Cantonese
Catalan/Mallorquí
Croatian
Cup'ik
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Egyptian Arabic
French
German
Ghanaian Hausa
Greek
Gujarati
Hindi
Hungarian
Hup
Indian Tamil (not sure which exact varieties)
Indonesian
Iraqi Arabic
Isan
Italian
Japanese
Kannada
Kaqchikel
Khmer
K'iche'
Kinyarwanda
Kirundi
Konkani
Korean
Krio
Lao
Lebanese Arabic
Macedonian
Malayalam
Mam
Mandarin
Mandinka
Marathi
Nepali
North Central Romani
Odia
Panjabi
Papiamento
Persian
Polish
Punjabi
Q'anjob'al
Romani
Russian
Sinhalese
Slovak
Spanish
Sri Lankan Tamil
Swahili
Swedish
Syrian Arabic
Tagalog
Telugu
Teochew
Thai
Tulu
Turkish
Urdu
Vietnamese
Vlax Romani
Wolof

Possibly also Kashmiri, Malagasy, Mongolian, Sindhi, Romanian, and Cebuano (I have known people who spoke all of these to some degree, but most of the specific people I know no longer live in Austin, and I only know one person who knew some Cebuano)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-02-05, 21:46

I'm not able to reliably identify a lot of the languages I hear, so this will be pretty limited:

Arabic
Burmese
Cantonese
Dutch
French
German
Hebrew
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Mandarin
Persian
Portuguese
Spanish
Telugu
Thai
Turkish
Vietnamese
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 22:01

Trust me, for most UniLangers, the list is bound to be much smaller than that. :P

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-05, 22:01

vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Arabic
Mayan (had to ask the speakers to be sure of this one!)

Which varieties of Arabic and which Mayan language(s)?

I think the language was K'iche', but it might have been some other variety of Guatemala.

I'm not good at recognising Arabic varieties, but I know I've heard Bahrani/Khaliji (because of my friend and his family), Levantine (lots of Syrians, Lebanese, and Palestinians in Chicago), and Iraqi. Most likely Egyptian as well but I'm less sure about any other African varieties.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-05, 22:04

Come to think of it, I probably should've included Moroccan Arabic. I remember I had a classmate of Moroccan origin in elementary school. We didn't get along. :P (She told me she put a hex on me :lol:).
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2018-02-26, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-06, 1:08

As far as I can remember:
Arabic
Armenian
Assyrian
Cantonese
Dutch
Estonian
Farsi
French
German
Hindi
Hmong
Italian
Iu Mien
Japanese
Kazakh
Korean
Lao
Mandarin
Mandinka
Mixtec
Mongolian
Portuguese
Punjabi
Russian
Spanish
Thai
Triqui
Ukrainian
Urdu

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2018-02-06, 20:41

I find it amusing that so many of you bothered to order your lists alphabetically. :)

In San José (+ surrounding areas), off the top of my head:

English
Spanish
Vietnamese
Tagalog
Swahili
Amharic
Finnish
Estonian (is this disqualified if I'm the one who brought the speaker here? :P )
Swedish
Russian
Polish
Serbo-Croatian
German
French
Cantonese
Hakka
Mandarin
Shanghainese
Burmese
Thai
Japanese
Korean
Arabic
Armenian
Georgian
Turkish
Farsi
Hindustani
Punjabi
Gujarati
Bengali
Telugu
Kannada/Tamil/Malayalam (really difficult for me to tell between these)

In Tampere:

Finnish
English
Swedish
Norwegian
Danish (or Scanian Swedish, idk)
Estonian
Lithuanian
Hungarian
Polish
Czech
Serbo-Croatian
Slovene
Russian
Ukrainian
German
Italian
Spanish
Catalan
Portuguese
French
Romanian
Mandarin
Cantonese
Japanese
Korean
Somali
Arabic
Farsi
Hindustani
Telugu

I've definitely heard more than these, but the rest I couldn't recognise with reasonable certainty. Surprisingly (or maybe not, I have my own theories as to why :P ), I've never heard Dutch spoken in person anywhere even though it's among the easiest languages for me to recognise,
Last edited by suruvaippa on 2018-02-06, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting
(smi-sma) (liv) (ka) (eu) (nv) (ru) (sw) eventually...

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-06, 20:47

suruvaippa wrote:I find it amusing that so many of you bothered to order your lists alphabetically.

I needed some kind of order so I could keep track of what I'd listed already and what I hadn't. Grouping them by family has a certain appeal, but there's no good principle for what sequence to list the families in or even how to arrange the languages within each family. (In the Translation forum, the general principle for the families and branches seems to be to start with English and move outward geographically, but we still end up alphabetising the languages in each branch.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-02-07, 10:36

suruvaippa wrote:I find it amusing that so many of you bothered to order your lists alphabetically.

It's not that difficult. There are websites that do that in less than a second.

cHr0mChIk

Postby cHr0mChIk » 2018-02-12, 6:48

(in my hometown)

Officially:

Serbian
Hungarian
Romanian
Slovak
(meaning that the public signs, etc. are in these languages)

But unofficial (minority) languages:

Romani
Macedonian
Bulgarian
German
Albanian
Slovenian
Russian
Ukrainian
Rusyn
Goranski
Vlach
Arabic (because of immigrants)
(English) - not a minority language, but most of the population speaks it

Also, not the languages of the minorities, but languages which have a number of speakers and learners:
Spanish
Italian
Turkish
French
(probably some more. but this is as far as I know)

I've actually arranged mine approximately by the number of speakers, from high to low.
Speaks: English (en) Bosnian (bs) Serbian (sr) Romani (rom)

Learns: Arabic (ar) Urdu (ur) Pashto (ps)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-15, 16:02

Czech
Romany
Vietnamese (Northern)
Russian
Ukrainian
Polish
German
English
Mandarin (Beijinghua)
Japanese (tourists)
Norwegian (ditto)
Wenzhounese
Armenian
Mongolian
Gheg Albanian
Serbian (Croatian??)
Arabic
Romanian
Hungarian
Slovak
Telugu (???)
Turkish
French (African - Kongo, Pobřeží slonoviny = Congo Ivory Coast)

I may have missed some. For example I met a girl from Malta and a guy from Indonesia, but that doesn't matter their native languages are spoken here.

there is only about 95 thousand inhabitants in Ústí nad Labem and this language list is composed of all the people I heard speaking throughout my life excluding languages I couldn't identify.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-16, 3:18

Hent wrote:Telugu (???)

People from Hyderabad, I'm guessing. It's a major city with a lot of tech companies and research institutes that's in the awkward position of being the capital of two different states, surrounded by villages where crimes so horrible you might not be able to imagine them are apparently commonplace and are probably never prosecuted. I can kind of see why people from there might choose to move to the Czech Republic for any length of time.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-19, 13:30

vijayjohn wrote:
Hent wrote:Telugu (???)

People from Hyderabad, I'm guessing. It's a major city with a lot of tech companies and research institutes that's in the awkward position of being the capital of two different states, surrounded by villages where crimes so horrible you might not be able to imagine them are apparently commonplace and are probably never prosecuted. I can kind of see why people from there might choose to move to the Czech Republic for any length of time.

Probably. I will ask them next time I see them.

Oh and I forgot to add Igbo on my list. :)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-02-25, 8:31

How can you guys recognise and remember all the languages that you hear in your city?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-02-25, 9:16

Yeah, I neither understand very well how to answer that post. There a lot of people here from every corner of the earth, both turists and inhabitants. How could I possibly know all the languages they speak? :hmm:

The other day I went to buy bread, and the shopgirl was speaking Catalan with the clients, and Fon dialect with his little son in the shop (she said to us it was Fon dialect, because otherwise I couldn't have recognised it).

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-02-25, 9:38

I'm a special case because I work in an area of Rome that has more immigrants and tourists than local people, but I can't recognise a lot of languages.
But among those I can recognize:

-Italian
-Mandarin
-Qingtianese
-Wenzhounese
-Cantonese
-Min
-English
-French
-Spanish
-Portuguese
-Romanian
-Arabic
-etc.

There are a lot of Bangladeshi and Sinhalese so I suppose they speak Bengali and Sinhala, but I can't recognise those languages. Same for many other languages I can't recognise.

With Italian what I hear the most is broken Italian, then Roman Italian, then other varieties.
With Mandarin: Zhejiang accent, Northeastern dialects, Standard Mandarin, broken Mandarin.
With English it's mainly Nigerian English and other African varieties, then broken English by non-natives, and then American/Canadian/British/Australian etc. by tourists.
With French it's mainly Senegalese French, Moroccan French, Algerian French, etc. rarely European French.
Spanish: Peruvian and Argentinian Spanish. Rarely other variants.
Portuguese: Brazilian. Only twice I met people who spoke Portugal Portuguese.
Arabic: probably Egyptian and North African.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-25, 16:29

OldBoring wrote:How can you guys recognise and remember all the languages that you hear in your city?

I can't, which is why I pointed out that there are (for instance) any number of West African varieties that aren't listed.

Often, you can rely on external clues. If you're in a restaurant that makes a big deal of billing itself as "Eritrean" rather than "Ethiopian" and you overhear the owners talking to each other in a language you can't understand, you can be pretty sure you're hearing Tigrinya. Not 100% sure, but damn close.

Or you can ask people directly. I did this in a few of the cases I listed (Malayalam, Swedish, Mayan). In at least one other (Macedonian), someone else asked. They could have been lying, of course, but if so, the lies were plausible. In some other cases, I relied on the expertise of a friend. For instance, my Bahraini friend tried to speak as much Arabic as he could and would identify for me the dialects of each of his interlocutors.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-25, 16:54

OldBoring wrote:How can you guys recognise and remember all the languages that you hear in your city?

I can't either. I didn't list every language I've ever heard here, just the languages spoken by friends and acquaintances, in which case I already knew what languages they speak or I asked them which language they were speaking. I'm sure there are many others that I've probably overheard and not recognized or not remembered later.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2018-02-26, 12:22

This is why I haven't replied to this thread yet, but I guess now is the time.

I'll only list ones I've heard here in Roihuvuori, not Helsinki as a whole. Also, I'll at least try to list them in a decreasing order judging by the times I've heard them throughout my life and contexts explained as best as I can. That means they're not necessarily ordered by number of speakers.

Finnish (fi) Finnish
I mean, this is Finland...

English (en) English
Literally everyone who doesn't speak Finnish speaks English with people who speak Finnish, unless both know Swedish and that's not a lot of people AFAIK. There are also a lot of tourists that come to the cherry tree park here, so that means more English being spoken... at least for a couple of days each year. :P

Swedish (sv) Swedish
Around the beach, there's fairly often at least one or two people speaking Swedish. Elsewhere, though, there aren't as many judging by my ears. I'm not sure if that means the coastal parts are more upper-class or not (well, they are, but I don't know if that still correlates with Swedishness to this day so strongly), but well.

Russian (ru) Russian
At least once every ten times I go out, I hear Russian. Whether that means there are a lot of Russians here or it's just a coincidence, I don't know. There are quite a few Russians in Finland, though, so... I hear it much more in the summer than in the winter, so it could be that they're tourists or the visiting relatives of a few Russians who live here or something?

Turkish (tr) Turkish
The local pizzeria/kiosk's owner and staff are Turkish. Since I go there at least once a month, often once a week, I overhear them talking to each other in Turkish quite often. I'm not sure how many Turks live around here, but there are at least a few...

Arabic (ar) Arabic
I have no idea which varieties they speak, but there are a lot of recent immigrants. Assuming they're refugees, logically they're from Iraq or Syria and as such speak Iraqi and/or Syrian Arabic, and I guess maybe Tunisian or whatever. There are some older immigrants, too, though, so there could be other varieties.

Somali (so) Somali
Lots of Somali immigrants from the late 90's and early 2000's. If this list was ordered by number of speakers, this would probably come before Swedish. Lately, I haven't heard as much Somali (or seen as many Somalis) as a couple of years ago, but I don't know if that means they're moving away or not. Probably not.

Estonian (et) Estonian
When I was like 5-10, there were tons of Estonians here for work. They've all moved back to Estonia as far as I know, but I have heard it a couple of times randomly and I think there are a few living somewhere in the same building I live in. Of course, some come as tourists and whatnot.

Japanese (ja) Japanese
Mostly in and around the cherry tree park in the summer, especially when they blossom. There are lots of tourists around that time, and I suppose the relatives of Japanese people who live here also visit them around that time? I've also heard it at random times in random places since there are some Japanese immigrants, but not that often.

Romani (rom) Romani
There was a Romani family that were my neighbours when I was a kid. Unfortunately, they were the most stereotypical Romanis ever, leaving a bad impression on everyone... and I don't know what kind of variety or dialect or whatever they spoke, but it was probably the one that most Romani in Finland speak. I've randomly seen some other Romanis but they've almost always all spoken Finnish.

Greek (el) Greek
Another language I heard as a kid. There was a Greek family that lived next door, and they were the most messed up family ever. The parents yelled at the kids in Greek and sometimes in Finnish, also mixing them IIRC, and were known to beat and sexually abuse them, and as a result the kids were totally fucked up bullies... I don't want to start talking too much shit about people I haven't seen in over a decade, but it was my first impression of Greeks and it wasn't a good one. It could be that that's partially why I've never been interested in learning Greek except for occasional wanderlusts...

Hindi (hi) / Urdu (ur) Hindi/Urdu
I'm not sure which variety, but I've definitely heard Hindustani at least half a dozen times, although I guess it could also have been Punjabi or something...? :para:

Some Indian language
Yeah, I know, it's kinda racist to not be able to tell apart languages that may not even belong to the same language family, but all I can say is that there was a family from India who lived nearby when I was a kid and that they spoke something with retroflex sounds and aspirated plosives. I can't even remember what it sounded like beyond that, only that it sounded funny to my ears as a child. And since the family has almost certainly moved (I haven't seen them in years), it's not like I could ask them what language they spoke... not that I'd ask even if I could, since that'd be weird and rude.

Persian (fa) Persian
There was a short period of time either last year or the year before when I heard this practically every time I went out in the summer. No idea why. Maybe there were some Iranian exchange students or something somewhere and they hung out around here for some reason and happened to always be outside in random places at the same time as me, or maybe they were the relatives of some Iranian immigrant living somewhere around here visiting? Or maybe it was just a strange coincidence? Well, whatever the case, I haven't heard it at all since then.

Kurdish (ku) Kurdish
Similarly to Persian, I heard it several times over the course of maybe half a year and then not at all. It was around the same time, too, although at times I couldn't be 100% certain whether something was Kurdish or Persian (or some other Iranian language) so it could be that they were always the same people and at times they spoke one language and at times the other for some reason, maybe even code-switching between them or something?

Italian (it) Italian
Similarly to Persian and Kurdish, I heard Italian a bunch of times maybe like 3-5 years ago in a short period of time, but then never again. To be honest, though, it could've been any smaller Romance language(s) that sounded somehow more like Italian than French or Spanish and I would've just assumed it was Italian and moved on; still, logically it's more likely that it was always Italian than anything else, so yeah.

Polish (pl) German (de) Romanian (ro) Spanish (es) French (fr) Thai (th) Polish, German, Romanian, Spanish, French, Thai
These I've heard only once or twice (maybe a few more times), but definitely recognised. They're not in any order, but I think I've heard Polish and German more often than Spanish, French or Thai at least. These have probably all been tourists or whatever, so I don't know if it's even appropriate to include them in this list.

Mandarin (zh) Mandarin Chinese
Literally once. Well, okay, probably a few more times, but the reason I'm listing it separately from the above is that the most recent time I heard it was in such a hilarious context: it was a couple of days before the proper hanami festival (yeah, Finns really are weebs lol) but there were already a ton of people hanging out by the cherry trees since they had started blossoming. I was on my way to see my dad, walking past the trees, when a group of people who were on a blanket on the ground under one of the trees suddenly started talking loudly... in Mandarin. Like, are the relations between China and Japan so bad that it's easier for the Chinese to come to Finland to look at cherry blossoms than Japan, or what...?

Mystery language of my neighbours
This is something I hear at least once a week since my downstairs neighbours speak loudly and occasionally yell. Since it's really muffled and stuff, I can't recognise it. It could be that it's not just one language since there are two names in the mail slot, neither of which's origin I'm 100% certain about; one is definitely Slavic, probably Polish (it's too long to memorise during the glance I take whenever I pass by), and the other is apparently common as a given name in Afghanistan but not used as a surname except in India with a slightly different spelling... what makes it hard to find information about is that one person with the name became very well-known, but even saying for what reason would immediately reveal my neighbours' surname, and that's probably illegal (and even if it was legal, it wouldn't be a good idea since there's probably only one family with that surname in Finland...) Oh well, whatever language(s) they speak, it's none of my business.

Mystery Turkic language
I thought it was Uzbek, but it could've been literally any Turkic language (or any non-Turkic language with a phonology similar to Turkic languages and some false friends with Turkic languages) if it sounding weird and unrecognisable was just the guy who spoke it having an odd style of speech or him being old and that distorting his speech. It had a lot of rounded vowels, so that's why I assumed it was Uzbek, but well. :lol:

~

I probably forgot at least a few languages I've heard more than once, and almost definitely many I've heard only once or twice, but well.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-02-26, 13:10

Vlürch wrote:and were known to beat and sexually abuse them

And nobody thought that maybe, just maybe, it could be a good idea to call the police?

Return to “General Language Forum”