Strange Word Etymologies

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Scoot
Strange Word Etymologies

Postby Scoot » 2009-02-22, 14:31

I was just thinking about the English word "black", and how it doesn't seem to match the Germanic equivalents which I know of (schwarz, svart, etc.) and nor does it match the Romance equivalents (noir) nor Welsh (du). And so on. So I checked Wiktionary, of course.

From Middle English blak, from Old English blæc. Cognates include blaze', bleach, blond, bald, bale, pale, Latin flagare, to shine, Latin blancus, white, Gothic *removed* (bala), paleness, German erbleichen, bleich, go -, turn pale, German bleichen, bleach and Russian белый, white.

So the English word for "black" actually has more to do with lightness and white things. :shock:

Anyone else know of any weird word etymologies?

Mutusen

Re: Strange Word Etymologies

Postby Mutusen » 2009-02-22, 14:47

Le mot « travail » vient du latin « tripalium », qui désigne un instrument de torture. Et d’après le Wiktionnaire, en ancien français « travail » voulait dire « tourment, souffrance ». (Il a d’ailleurs toujours en partie ce sens, quand on parle du travail de l’accouchement.)

The French word “travail” (work) comes from the Latin word “tripalium”, a torture device. And according to Wiktionary, in Old French, “travail” meant “torment, suffering”. (And it still partly has this meaning, because it also means the labour during the childbirth.)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2009-02-22, 14:53

Yeah, I found out about that s couple of weeks ago :P 'Cause in Norwegian blakk is a thin milky to beige color. (blek = pale; å bleke = to bleach; BUT blekk = ink)

Things I found interesting/weird:
vanskelig/vand [hard/tough/troublesome] --> Old Norse vandr [the other way around]
venstre [left (not right)] --> from the word ven meaning friend
krabat [restless baby] --> from the original meaning of Croatian man :lol:
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

loqu

Postby loqu » 2009-02-22, 15:05

In Spanish we have perro for dog, whose etymology is rather weird. There are several theories, but the most likely one is that the word comes from the noise the dogs do, prrrrr.

And all that even though we had a Latin word for them, can. It's as if we stopped saying campana (bell) and said tolón instead. :? :lol:
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2009-02-22, 15:12

loqu wrote:the most likely one is that the word comes from the noise the dogs do, prrrrr.

:shock: :shock:

I can't think of any kind of dog doing that :?
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Kuba

Postby Kuba » 2009-02-22, 15:20

Draven wrote:
loqu wrote:the most likely one is that the word comes from the noise the dogs do, prrrrr.

:shock: :shock:

I can't think of any kind of dog doing that :?

I have to second that. Dogs and bilabial consonats don't go together. "grrrrr", "ghrrrrrr", "rrrrr" - okay. But "prrrrrr"? Never! :nono:

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2009-02-22, 15:20

There are tons. :mrgreen: Like the one of toilet, which originally meant 'piece of cloth'.
Der binne der protten. :mrgreen: Lykas dy fan toilet, wat oarspronklik 'stik klean' betsjutte.

www.etymonline.com wrote:1540, "cover or bag for clothes," from M.Fr. toilette "a cloth, bag for clothes," dim. of toile "cloth, net" (see toil (2)). Sense evolution is to "act or process of dressing" (1681); then "a dressing room" (1819), especially one with a lavatory attached; then "lavatory or porcelain plumbing fixture" (1895), an Amer.Eng. euphemistic use.
Last edited by Dminor on 2009-02-22, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

Kuba

Postby Kuba » 2009-02-22, 15:34

As far as I remember, the Czech word for "to f*ck" comes from one of the Slavic roots for "to search for"... :lol:
Right now I remember only very obvious things like "haftować" (Polish: to embroider) comes from "heften" (German: to tack / sew / stitch) or "*iebheo" (PIE: to enter; don't ask me where to put the small number indeces or shwas) resulting in a common Slavic swearword with the meaning of my very first example in this post, loaned even to Romanian (and Hungarian, I think). But I would be really interested in the etymology of k*rwa/k*rva/к*рва/c*rva, since it has obviously nothing to do with mathematics & geometry...

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2009-02-22, 15:48

A Swedish, very obscene word describing the vagina is "fitta". Apparently the word comes from an Old Norse word meaning "soft, moist place"...

axaxaxasz mlö

Postby axaxaxasz mlö » 2009-02-22, 16:44

krabat [restless baby] --> from the original meaning of Croatian man

The word "cravat" (or in French "cravate") comes from Croatian, too. It is in the first lesson in my Croatian textbook.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2009-02-22, 20:21

maybe darkness wasn't as dark as it is now. global warming, and all, might make black look darker than the beige it used to be.

[/joke]
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2009-02-22, 20:31

Someone just asked this in the Old English discussion topic, and that etymology is completely wrong. The normal form of black in OE was blæc-, but it had an alternative form in poetry that was blāc-, which is sometimes confused with the OE word for "shining white." Black is probably descended from a word that meant "burnt."
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2009-02-22, 20:40

One I thought was cool, was the Navajo word for car chidí
It comes from the sound the old Model T's made when they started up in the morning:
chidí chidí chidí!

The Hopi word for heart is tùn, which comes from the sound of a beating heart:
tun tun, tun tun
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2009-02-22, 20:56

Kuba wrote:Dogs and bilabial consonats don't go together.

Why not? According to some sites I've seen, they say "bow wow" in English, "bau bau" in Italian, "bjäbb-bjäbb" in Swedish, "bow bow" or "bho bho" in Hindi/Urdu, "mrrr" (growling) in Finnish, "bau bau" in Bulgarian, and "bup bup" in Catalan. All of those begin with bilabial consonants.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

pittmirg

Postby pittmirg » 2009-02-22, 22:04

loqu wrote:In Spanish we have perro for dog, whose etymology is rather weird. There are several theories, but the most likely one is that the word comes from the noise the dogs do, prrrrr.

In Polish prr means "whoa" (said to a horse) :P Maybe perro is borrowed from some obscure non-IE Iberian language, who knows. I guess such a theory must exist at least.

@Kuba: kurwa from Proto-Slavic *kury (gen. *kurъve), with the same root as in *kurъ. It's been also borrowed by Romanian and Hungarian from surrounding Slavic languages.
Śnieg, zawierucha w nas

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2009-02-23, 3:08

Eoghan wrote:A Swedish, very obscene word describing the vagina is "fitta". Apparently the word comes from an Old Norse word meaning "soft, moist place"...

In Faroese, 'fitta' is an adjective meaning 'cute'...

Off-topic: @wolfox477: Love your avatar. ;)

On-topic:

The Faroese adjective for left-handed 'lámur' apparently comes from Irish láimh (or something similar to that), which means 'hand'.

Also, the original Faroese word for a 'negro' is/was 'blámaður' (blueman).

OK, maybe these aren't that strange (well maybe since they are 2 Celtic words), but I'll find some others.
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2009-02-23, 4:46

Mulder-21 wrote:
Eoghan wrote:A Swedish, very obscene word describing the vagina is "fitta". Apparently the word comes from an Old Norse word meaning "soft, moist place"...

In Faroese, 'fitta' is an adjective meaning 'cute'...

Off-topic: @wolfox477: Love your avatar. ;)

On-topic:

The Faroese adjective for left-handed 'lámur' apparently comes from Irish láimh (or something similar to that), which means 'hand'.

Also, the original Faroese word for a 'negro' is/was 'blámaður' (blueman).

OK, maybe these aren't that strange (well maybe since they are 2 Celtic words), but I'll find some others.

That is so cool! I knew Irish monks went to the Faroes and Iceland so it's cool to see that the Gaelic language has affected the Faroese language :)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2009-02-23, 5:48

About the dog barking/sounds, I say [bf̩] whenever I want to imitate my dog ;)
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Tukkumminnguaq

Postby Tukkumminnguaq » 2009-02-23, 6:10

eskandar wrote:
Kuba wrote:Dogs and bilabial consonats don't go together.

Why not? According to some sites I've seen, they say "bow wow" in English, "bau bau" in Italian, "bjäbb-bjäbb" in Swedish, "bow bow" or "bho bho" in Hindi/Urdu, "mrrr" (growling) in Finnish, "bau bau" in Bulgarian, and "bup bup" in Catalan. All of those begin with bilabial consonants.

Well, so Inuit/Yupik and Aleut are isolated because not related this word for 'bow wow' or any those dog's sounds..

Our dogs sounds is

Bow wow/bark
Qihluxs [Aleut]
Qiluk [Yupik/Inuit']

Growl, grrr
Qiniq/Ugik [All of Eskaleut]

hiss
saqaq! or haqaq! [Inuit dialects]

Dog/wolf's howl

Hwaadal (Aleut)
Maruaq (Yupik)
Maguq/Marruuq/Miaguq/Miaq (Inuit dialects)

expect Wolf sounds 'Amaruq'

so does those are isolated?
[flag]en-ca[/flag][flag]sgn[/flag][flag]iu[/flag][flag]kl[/flag][flag]ale[/flag]
[flag]qu[/flag][flag]tr[/flag][flag]yrk[/flag][flag]evn[/flag][flag]ckt[/flag][flag]itl[/flag]

[̲̅̅N̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅b̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅d̲̅][̲̅̅y̲̅] [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅n̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅w̲̅][̲̅̅s̲̅][̲̅̅.̲̅] [̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅i̲̅][̲̅̅f̲̅][̲̅̅e̲̅] [̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅s̲̅] [̲̅̅T̲̅][̲̅̅h̲̅][̲̅̅e̲̅][̲̅̅y̲̅] [̲̅̅K̲̅][̲̅̅n̲̅][̲̅̅o̲̅][̲̅̅w̲̅] [̲̅̅I̲̅][̲̅̅t̲̅][̲̅̅.̲̅]

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2009-02-23, 14:47

pittmirg wrote:@Kuba: kurwa from Proto-Slavic *kury (gen. *kurъve), with the same root as in *kurъ. It's been also borrowed by Romanian and Hungarian from surrounding Slavic languages.

... which means 'a cock' (BSC also has a related "kurac" with the meaning membrum virile).

Return to “General Language Forum”