Nicknames

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

hashi

Re: Nicknames

Postby hashi » 2008-12-22, 6:50

Jay is the most common name I have.
My closer friends call me JayJay.
The friend whose even closer calls me Jayberry
My mum calls me Jay Bee Jack. I have NO idea why.

My brother (who's name is Nicholas) is normally called Nick, or sometimes Semi... but only my Mum calls him that o_O

Jayden

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2008-12-22, 7:18

My Nan used to call me walósh (Cherokee for frog) or saligugi (which is Cherokee for turtle), but she used a drawn out, intensified, saligooooooooogi (with the stress on the last syllable).
Since me and my father had the same name, whenever someone mentioned my name, but in reference to my father, she would say with disdain údita sgoooooooooooooyi which is something like drunken insect. :)
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Travis B.

Postby Travis B. » 2008-12-25, 2:29

My nickname is just Trav [ˈtʃʰɹ̠ɛ̞ːv̥]~[ˈtʃʰɹ̠ɛ̞ːf], except in the case of my fiancée, who always calls me Travie [ˈtʃʰɹ̠ɛ̞ːvi(ː)].
secretGeek on CodingHorror wrote:Type inference is not a gateway drug to more dynamically typed languages.

Rather "var" is a gateway drug toward "real" type inferencing, of which var is but a tiny cigarette to the greater crack mountain!

jaybee

Postby jaybee » 2008-12-25, 9:35

My nickname is juju or sometimes jamjooma. A lot of Arabic nicknames are formed by repeating parts of the name. Though there are lots of types of nicknames.. some nicknames are simply a shorter version of the name.
Some nicknames are a small scaled version of the name. For example: noras are nicknamed nawwara.. nora is to nawwara as drop is to droplet. this applies to other names.
There's always the nicknames that have nothing to do with the name..

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2008-12-25, 9:43

Dani. [ˈðani]
my sister calls me oreja (ear), [oˈɾeha]
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2008-12-25, 14:21

My hometown friends just call me Rober, [ˈroβer]. For some reason, English speakers seem to be puzzled by this shortening. Dunno why.
At uni, most people use my full name because that's how I introduce myself (I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't force shortenings and nicknames on people, let them call you whatever they want!), but some call me Rober too. This friend of mine sometimes calls me Berto [ˈberto], mostly for shits and giggles, because she claims she doesn't like Rober. And this other friend has taken to calling me P'tit [ptsi] because of the Petit Robert French dictionary.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-27, 3:46

My sister calls my "Ty-ty" [taɪ taɪ]. It's possibly the most annoying thing every. I've also been called "T" and "TJ".

The best one is one of my friends. His name is Leditrick (sp?) but everyone calls him "LD." It's funny.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Travis B.

Postby Travis B. » 2008-12-27, 6:12

sa wulfs wrote:My hometown friends just call me Rober, [ˈroβer]. For some reason, English speakers seem to be puzzled by this shortening. Dunno why.
At uni, most people use my full name because that's how I introduce myself (I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't force shortenings and nicknames on people, let them call you whatever they want!), but some call me Rober too. This friend of mine sometimes calls me Berto [ˈberto], mostly for shits and giggles, because she claims she doesn't like Rober. And this other friend has taken to calling me P'tit [ptsi] because of the Petit Robert French dictionary.

The reason why native English-speakers are puzzled by the shortening of Robert as Rober is just that it is that it breaks normal shortening conventions in English, as normally one does not remove part of a final syllable coda in such forms in English. Mind you that the normal shortening of Robert in English (to me [ˈʁɑːbʁ̩ʔ]) is Rob (to be [ˈʁɑːb̥]), and there is also the more diminuitive form Robbie as well (to me [ˈʁɑːbi(ː)]), which are the basic types of forms they would likely expect for short forms of Robert.
secretGeek on CodingHorror wrote:Type inference is not a gateway drug to more dynamically typed languages.

Rather "var" is a gateway drug toward "real" type inferencing, of which var is but a tiny cigarette to the greater crack mountain!

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-12-27, 7:03

sa wulfs wrote:My hometown friends just call me Rober, [ˈroβer]. For some reason, English speakers seem to be puzzled by this shortening. Dunno why.

They only expect Rob, Bob or Bobby :P

Btw Bobby is the worst male pet name ever.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2008-12-27, 16:06

Travis B. wrote:

The reason why native English-speakers are puzzled by the shortening of Robert as Rober is just that it is that it breaks normal shortening conventions in English, as normally one does not remove part of a final syllable coda in such forms in English. Mind you that the normal shortening of Robert in English (to me [ˈʁɑːbʁ̩ʔ]) is Rob (to be [ˈʁɑːb̥]), and there is also the more diminuitive form Robbie as well (to me [ˈʁɑːbi(ː)]), which are the basic types of forms they would likely expect for short forms of Robert.

Yeah, all that is cool and fine, but English speakers seem to forget Rober is not short for Robert but for Roberto :lol:
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-27, 18:20

Draven wrote:

I agree. Bob isn't much better. :P
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Travis B.

Postby Travis B. » 2008-12-27, 19:11

ILuvEire wrote:
Draven wrote:

Luckily they have largely died out amongst younger people in North America, being replaced by Robby and Rob respectively.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-12-28, 4:17

Travis B. wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:
Draven wrote:Btw Bobby is the worst male pet name ever.

Luckily they have largely died out amongst younger people in North America, being replaced by Robby and Rob respectively.

Proof. Oh and it's only now that I know Bruce is related to Robert too.

I wonder how new names like Draven can be shortened.

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2008-12-28, 9:02

Draven wrote:I wonder how new names like Draven can be shortened.

Oi, Drav' head yersel o'er here!....
Image[flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]gd[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]pt[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]no-nn[/flag] [flag=]fo[/flag]

Albeit the Scot in me is of the Western stock and the red of the Cairngorms, the heather and the Lewissian gneiss, the Viking in me was there when you uttered the first word of your leid.

Travis B.

Postby Travis B. » 2008-12-28, 9:24

Eoghan wrote:

Oi, Drav' head yersel o'er here!....

Assuming that Draven would be [ˈd̥ʒ̥ɹ̠eːvɨ̃(ː)n]~[ˈd̥ʒ̥ɹ̠eːvn̩(ː)] here, the two main short forms of such that I can think of here are merely familiar Drave [ˈd̥ʒ̥ɹ̠eːv̥]~[ˈd̥ʒ̥ɹ̠eːf] and the commonly, but not necessarily, more affectionate Dravie [ˈd̥ʒ̥ɹ̠eːvi(ː)]. Most other names without established short forms can have short forms constructed in similar fashions; for instance, my sister Meredith [ˈmɛ̝ːʁəːdɪθ] is normally referred to by family as Mere [ˈmɛ̝(ː)ʁ] and her friend Allison [ˈɛ̞ːɯ̯ɨsɨ̃(ː)n]~[ˈɛ̞ːɯ̯ɨsn̩(ː)] is normally called Ally [ˈɛ̞ːɯ̯i(ː)].

(All pronunciations are in the dialect here, it should be noted.)

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-28, 10:53

I think that Drav' [dʒɹɛiv] would be an acceptable nick name for Draven [dʒɹɛɪvɪn], although most people would just drop the second vowel - Drav'n [dʒɹɛɪvn] or maybe [dʒɹɛɪbn]. Possibly Dra' [dʒɹɛɪ] also.

Martine

Postby Martine » 2008-12-29, 10:40

Polish nicknames sometimes are difficult. Some examples:
Andrzej- Jędrzej
Katarzyna- Kasia
Radosław- Radek/Radzio
Małgorzata- Gosia
Tomasz- Tomek
Stasisław- Staś
Jan- Jaś
Michalina- Misia
Joanna- Asia
Aleksandra- Ola
Aleksander- Olek
Bartłomiej- Bartek
Izabella- Iza
Agnieszka- Aga
Jakub- Kuba
Adrianna- Ada
Antonia- Tosia
My name (Martyna) can't be shorten. And I'm happy about it. However some people call me Martynia :P It's nice

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2008-12-29, 10:50

oh come here, let me hug you, Dravi [ˈdɾaβi]!!! :lol:
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2008-12-29, 10:53

Oh damn, I forgot about this girl who sometimes calls me Robertini. :lol:

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-12-29, 11:07

sa wulfs wrote:Robertini

Mmm.... martini.

loqu wrote:oh come here, let me hug you, Dravi [ˈdɾaβi]!!! :lol:

Nooooo :cry:

:lol: :lol: :P

Return to “General Language Forum”