Nicknames

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Eoghan
Re: Nicknames

Postby Eoghan » 2009-01-04, 9:26

Okay... I've a couple of nicknames and they're all rather strange, but since I'm such a nice person I thought I'd share them with you...

My best friend at uni call me Sandis - my surname's Sandberg MacGuinne

Some other friends call me Guinness, and no, I do not have a strange obsession for Guinness, but look at me surname and you'll get it...

Some of my best friends from high school call me Morot, carrot in English, and yes I do have red hair :lol:

My grandparents (and my mother when she lived) call me Josse, which is a common way to shorten both Johan, Johanna and Josefine in Swedish

My sister call me Pou-Pou and only God knows why, it's really the most embarrassing nickname ever, imaging having something calling Pou-Pou at the top of their lungs in order to get my attention at e.g. a festival... On the other hand, I call her Plums, but well...

And all my German friends call me Jo-Jo...

My Scottish friends and relatives with a bit of Gaelic call me Eòghan Beag - little Eoghan - or An t-Suaineach - the Swede ...

Meera

Postby Meera » 2009-01-04, 19:13

I have two nicknames, the first is the name I always go by which is Meera. My real name is Ameera but my brother shortened it to Meera and then everyone started calling me that lol Sometimes in school people will call me Mimi which I guess could be short for Meera. :P

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » 2009-01-04, 21:16

My name, Carolyn, doesn't lend itself well to shortening. Some of my friends used to call me Care-care but it's never happened since.
Om alle var lykkelige ville vi ikke hatt noe god musikk.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-01-04, 21:22

Diogenes wrote:My name, Carolyn, doesn't lend itself well to shortening. Some of my friends used to call me Care-care but it's never happened since.

Carol maybe...but that's not much.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » 2009-01-05, 18:27

ILuvEire wrote:
Diogenes wrote:My name, Carolyn, doesn't lend itself well to shortening. Some of my friends used to call me Care-care but it's never happened since.

Carol maybe...but that's not much.

Haha...NEVER! :silly:
Om alle var lykkelige ville vi ikke hatt noe god musikk.

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2009-01-06, 8:47

In Romania,many names are shorten ; in Moldova as well. Few examples
Andrei- Andruşca[Rom] Andriuha[Moldova]
Alexandru/Alexandra- Saşa[Moldova]
Arina- Ina[Romania]
Adriana-Iana[Romania]
Bogdan - Bogdi[Romania]
Dumitru- Mitea[Ro and MD]
Mihail - Mişu[Ro] Mişa[Md]

Return to “General Language Forum”