Words that just won't stick

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Linguaphile
Re: Words that just won't stick

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-04-05, 20:15

(es) septentrional northern
Actually, this word is used in English as well, but when I've come across it, it has been in Spanish. I tend to remember that it's a direction but forget which one. Instead I just associate it with the number seven, which is no help at all.
But I finally looked up the etymology and it is related to the number seven and maybe that is some help after all... from Latin septem (“seven”) +‎ triō (“plow ox”) which refers to the constellations Ursa Major and Ursa Minor which are in the north. So basically it's an adjective meaning "[the direction] of the seven oxen [in the sky]".
We'll see if that's enough to help me remember or if it's too convoluted to stick (maybe I'll only remember "oh yeah, it did have something to do with the number seven after all...." which will still be no help, if that's all I remember. LOL)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2023-04-06, 15:26

French uses the word, too, and I also struggle to remember it.
Please correct my mistakes!

lu:ka

Postby lu:ka » 2023-05-30, 7:46

Linguaphile wrote:(es) septentrional northern
Actually, this word is used in English as well, but when I've come across it, it has been in Spanish. I tend to remember that it's a direction but forget which one. Instead I just associate it with the number seven, which is no help at all.
But I finally looked up the etymology and it is related to the number seven and maybe that is some help after all... from Latin septem (“seven”) +‎ triō (“plow ox”) which refers to the constellations Ursa Major and Ursa Minor which are in the north. So basically it's an adjective meaning "[the direction] of the seven oxen [in the sky]".
We'll see if that's enough to help me remember or if it's too convoluted to stick (maybe I'll only remember "oh yeah, it did have something to do with the number seven after all...." which will still be no help, if that's all I remember. LOL)

In Italian it is quite common (especially in weather forecasts) to use the adjectives "settentrionale" to refer to Northern regions and "meridionale" to refer to the Southern ones (from Latin "meridionalis" = which is in the direction of the Sun at noon).

I guess that if you instinctively associate septentrional with the number 7, it may be helpful to imagine it as a sort of upward pointing arrow to remember that it refers to North.
lu:ka

~~~~
Sē þrōwend is ǣtren and slihþ mid þām tæġle tō dēaðe.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2023-05-30, 15:12

служба за запошљавање employment office
промашити to fail
навратити to visit
наставити to go on
прилично rather
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-06-26, 20:35

Linguaphile wrote:(es) septentrional northern
I finally looked up the etymology and it is related to the number seven and maybe that is some help after all... from Latin septem (“seven”) +‎ triō (“plow ox”) which refers to the constellations Ursa Major and Ursa Minor which are in the north. So basically it's an adjective meaning "[the direction] of the seven oxen [in the sky]".

Sí, funcionó. :whoo: Encontré esa palabra hoy dos veces en un solo párrafo (el que sigue) y sí recordé lo que significa sin tener que buscarlo otra vez. Una menos, faltan... muchas más, pero por lo menos finalmente recuerdo el significado de esta palabra.
Nuestra habitación y media formaba parte de una enorme hilera de habitaciones paralelas, que ocupaba la tercera parte de una manzana, en la fachada septentrional de un edificio de seis pisos que daba a un tiempo a tres calles y a una plaza. El edificio era uno de esos tremendos pasteles del llamado estilo morisco que en la Europa septentrional caracterizaron el fin del siglo pasado.

Yes, it worked. I encountered this word twice in a single paragraph (the one written above) today and I did remember what it means without having to look it up again. One down, lots to go... but at least I finally remember this one. :lol:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2023-07-05, 17:10

I remember when I was a kid, I often heard America settentrionale, Italia settentrionale, etc.
Nowadays I hear more often America del Nord/Nordamerica, Italia del Nord/Nord Italia, etc.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2023-07-19, 3:41

I still have difficulty reading 9 (dziewięć) and 10 in Polish (dziesięć). My mnemonic is dzie-si-ęć like Latin de-ce-m, and there are 20 cards with number dziewięć (in various inflectional forms) somewhere and 50 with dziesięć in my Anki deck, many of which are cloze. And I'm still failing the cloze deletions by saying them wrong.

md0

Postby md0 » 2023-08-14, 22:49

I have trouble keeping these two shift names apart
(de) Spätdienst or Spätschicht (lit. late duty or late shift)
(de) Nachtdienst or Nachtschicht (lit. night duty or night shift)

Spätdienst is what I would refer to as "afternoon shift" or "second shift" in Greek -literally translated- that is ca. 14:00 to 22:00, and Nachtdienst would be a "nighter" or "third shift" (ca. 22:00 to 06:00).

But calling one of them the "late shift" always makes me think that it takes place after the "night shift". I still look it up every time because I can't trust that I remember them the right way.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-10-02, 19:03

For some reason, I've repeatedly had trouble parsing several Estonian adverbs that are built from partitive noun + verb-starting-with-a-vowel, such as:
aukartustäratavalt awe-inspiringly
ennastimetlevalt smugly
murettekitavalt worryingly, distressingly
muljetavaldavalt impressively, dramatically
My brain initially tries to make them into nominative+verb or genitive+verb or (in the case of ennastimetlevalt) even adverb+adverb, etc. Only when the parts towards the middle or end of the word end up gibberish do I realize I have to go back to the beginning and start over with the partitive singular in mind.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2023-10-03, 8:40

Linguaphile wrote:aukartustäratavalt
ennastimetlevalt
murettekitavalt
muljetavaldavalt

Did your cat walk on the keyboard?

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2023-10-10, 11:33

(it) omologazione approval

I just keep thinking of the meaning "homogenisation" all the time.

aleph.0

Postby aleph.0 » 2023-12-21, 19:40

Car wrote:(it) omologazione approval

The "approval" meaning is legalese/burocratese only though. I think most people will use/hear it in one context only, that is omologazione della macchina. If it can help you, the two meanings are linked, for instance - to remain in the car realm - the approval process of cars (omologazione) is made so that all cars respect some standards and hence have some sort of homogeneity.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2023-12-21, 21:41

aleph.0 wrote:
Car wrote:(it) omologazione approval

The "approval" meaning is legalese/burocratese only though. I think most people will use/hear it in one context only, that is omologazione della macchina. If it can help you, the two meanings are linked, for instance - to remain in the car realm - the approval process of cars (omologazione) is made so that all cars respect some standards and hence have some sort of homogeneity.

Thank you!

Return to “General Language Forum”