Random language thread 6

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Osias

Re: Random language thread 6

Postby Osias » 2022-06-06, 1:27

dEhiN wrote:I was reading this article recently from Atlas Obscura titled "Meet the Mother-Son Duo Translating Astrophysics Into Blackfoot". I was really neat to read, and I remember the specific event in question referenced in the article. Basically, when gravity waves were first detected by LIGO, one of the languages the press release was translated into was Blackfoot. One of the researchers is Blackfoot and he suggested the idea of having the press release translated into his language. His mother was the one who did the translating, and the article goes into how she tackled concepts where there wasn't a native Blackfoot word for it. It's a very fascinating read.

👏👏👏👏
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2022-07-29, 13:34

Osias wrote:Thanks everyone for the comments.

I also think we should rename the language to Brazilian unironically. But I don't believe that will ever happen.

http://www.yes24.com/Product/Goods/5261997

This book's title literally says: "Talk out of your mouth: Brazilian." Below it says "First steps in conversational Brazilian (Portuguese)"

I still think "브라질 포르투갈어(Brazilian Portuguese)" is more common in Korean, but "브라질어(Brazilian language)" is not rare either.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-07-30, 17:36

What's "Talk out of your mouth"? :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-08-01, 16:17

Osias wrote:What's "Talk out of your mouth"? :hmm:

Looks like the name of a language learning series, similar to Hodder & Stoughton's "Teach Yourself" or Routledge's "Colloquial". The phrase itself is an interesting mashup of native Korean (입에서 /ip eyse/ "mouth from") and English (톡 /thok/ < "talk"). I'm not sure what the connotations are of using a modewort like 톡 in place of a native Korean word such as 이야기 /i.ya.ki/.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-08-02, 7:26

Hey all, I thought this might be interesting to some of you. I posted on r/Anki about how I've been using Anki this year, starting after a multi-year hiatus. The post is a little long, but I go through how I've structured things and how I feel like I've stepped up my Anki game! :D Currently, I'm taking a conversational French course at my local college, but apart from that, Anki is probably my only intentional language study. Anyway, here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/ ... urce=share
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(sq)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2022-08-07, 8:29

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:What's "Talk out of your mouth"? :hmm:

Looks like the name of a language learning series, similar to Hodder & Stoughton's "Teach Yourself" or Routledge's "Colloquial". The phrase itself is an interesting mashup of native Korean (입에서 /ip eyse/ "mouth from") and English (톡 /thok/ < "talk"). I'm not sure what the connotations are of using a modewort like 톡 in place of a native Korean word such as 이야기 /i.ya.ki/.

In this case 말 would be more natural, 이야기 is more like a story. As in speak vs tell in English.

It's likely to be a pun between English _talk_ and the onomatopoeic word 톡, which means protruding or bulging. Not to say that talk and talking (톡/토크 and 토킹) are completely acceptable loanwords.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2022-08-07, 9:37

dEhiN wrote:Hey all, I thought this might be interesting to some of you. I posted on r/Anki about how I've been using Anki this year, starting after a multi-year hiatus. The post is a little long, but I go through how I've structured things and how I feel like I've stepped up my Anki game! :D Currently, I'm taking a conversational French course at my local college, but apart from that, Anki is probably my only intentional language study. Anyway, here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/ ... urce=share

One question that pops up my mind: Do you study the macro deck (Active and Inactive at once) or do you study individual decks at a time? Because afaik studying the macro deck will show cards from all subdecks randomly.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-08-13, 13:52

Karavinka wrote:One question that pops up my mind: Do you study the macro deck (Active and Inactive at once) or do you study individual decks at a time? Because afaik studying the macro deck will show cards from all subdecks randomly.

Most of the time, I choose the macro deck. Inactive is for cards and language decks I'm not working on, so I don't touch that. As for the way a deck shows cards from child decks, you can now specify the ordering in deck options. I think I've left it at random and to mix learning and review cards, but to do new ones after the other two. Sometimes, though, I might do one child deck at a time.

By the way, you need a preposition between "pops up" and "my mind". For me, the most natural sounding one would be "in", though "to" could also work. Also, there's an idiomatic expression "come to mind" which, in my experience, is more commonly used than "pops up in/to my mind". The funny thing is, when I read your post, I read the first sentence as "One question that comes to mind"! :D
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(sq)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-10-02, 14:08

I was pleasantly surprised to see that AdSense or whatever Google is currently using gave me an ad in Hmong today:
It's a reminder to test for covid before and after traveling out of the country or attending large gatherings. I think it's the first time I've gotten a Hmong AdSense ad before, despite having quite a bit of Hmong in my search history. It's nice to see that it does have some ads in Hmong (or, at least, this one).
Ajalik inimene ei jõua oma keelerännikul kunagi pärale. See tähendab, et isegi oma emakeelt ei ole võimalik lõpuni mõista. Osa teeharusid jääbki inimesel elu jooksul keeles avastamata. - Valdur Mikita

Talle ko tággáár uccâ almugâs tego anarâšah-uv viggá ovdediđ kielâ já kulttuur, te ij koolgâ smiettâđ meendu ennuv, et lii-uvsun taat máhđulâš. Kalga keččâđ kuhás já uáiniđ ovdâskulij, kalga orvâđ. Taat pargo ij lah pessimistâi pargo. - Matti Morottaja

Return to “General Language Forum”