Best/favorite online monolingual dictionary for your language

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Linguaphile
Best/favorite online monolingual dictionary for your language

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-11-24, 5:44

I'd like to make a list of "best" online monolingual dictionaries for different languages here. Please add one for any languages that you know well enough to use a monolingual dictionary!
Criteria:
  • The dictionary should be monolingual. (I've made a similar thread for bilingual dictionaries.)
  • List a single site you think is best, not a list of different sites and not a link to such a list. You should be able to search for a word directly from the site you link to. (It's probably the link you're most likely to use yourself if you want to look up a word online.)
  • If someone else has already added your language and you think a different site is better, add that one too!
  • Keep my list in your message and your own to it (so ideally by the end of the thread we'll have a long list in one post).

I'm starting with a shorter list for this one because really the only languages I use monolingual dictionaries regularly in are Spanish and Estonian.

(es) Diccionario de la lengua española (Real Academia Española)

(et) Eesti keele seletav sõnaraamat (Eesti Keele Instituut)

linguoboy

Re: Best/favorite online monolingual dictionary for your language

Postby linguoboy » 2022-01-28, 17:41

For Catalan, I'm torn between the Gran diccioni de la llengua catalana and the Alcover-Moll. The latter is more comprehensive but also a bit more dated. I tend to consult it for information on pronunciation (which the GDLC doesn't include, for reasons I don't understand), dialectal variation, and fuller discussions of disputed etymologies, but the GDLC is my usual go-to for ordinary lexical questions.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-28, 19:00

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-01-28, 22:14

linguoboy wrote:For Catalan, I'm torn between the Gran diccioni de la llengua catalana and the Alcover-Moll. The latter is more comprehensive but also a bit more dated. I tend to consult it for information on pronunciation (which the GDLC doesn't include, for reasons I don't understand), dialectal variation, and fuller discussions of disputed etymologies, but the GDLC is my usual go-to for ordinary lexical questions.

vijayjohn wrote:I think it would be perfectly fine on your part to add both. Someone did that for Georgian on the bilingual dictionaries thread.

Yes, of course! I specified "one dictionary" just to keep this from being an every-dictionary-ever-made kind of thread. But different people will have different favorites or have a hard time choosing just one and that makes sense. As long as it's a favorite, one that you regularly return to and recommend, it's good!
I think this is turning out to be a great list.

(ca) Gran diccioni de la llengua catalana more up to date but lacks pronunciation
(ca) Alcover-Moll a bit dated but has pronunciation, dialectal variation, etymologies
(fr) Dictionnaires d'autrefois
(pt) Infopédia

(en-US) Merriam-Webster
(de) Duden
(de) DWDS
(no) Bokmålsordboka/Nynorskordboka (Språkrådet)
(dk) Ordnet.dk

(ru) Gramota.ru

(fa) Vazhehyab

(bn) Shongshod Bangla Obhidhan
(hi) Hindi Shabdsagar
(ur) Urdu Lughat

(ta) Thamizh Mozhi Akaraathi
(ml) Olam

(zh) Dict.cn

(ko) Naver

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-01-29, 18:27

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-17, 16:19

Linguaphile wrote:Yes, of course! I specified "one dictionary" just to keep this from being an every-dictionary-ever-made kind of thread. But different people will have different favorites or have a hard time choosing just one and that makes sense. As long as it's a favorite, one that you regularly return to and recommend, it's good!
I think this is turning out to be a great list.

Tbh, most of the ones I added are really just the only dictionary I'm even aware of for the language, apart from Wiktionary, which is what I really use most often for most (especially non-Indian) languages (including English). :oops:

Reorganizing this list a bit btw because otherwise, it might look as if Estonian is an Indo-European language :?

(ca) Gran diccioni de la llengua catalana more up to date but lacks pronunciation
(ca) Alcover-Moll a bit dated but has pronunciation, notes on dialectal variation, fuller etymologies
(fr) Dictionnaires d'autrefois
(pt) Infopédia
(pt-br) Dicio
(it) Treccani

(ga) An Foclóir Beag
(cy) Geiriadur y Prifysgol Cymru

(lv) Tezaurs

(en-US) Merriam-Webster
(en-UK) Oxford English Dictionary
(de) Duden
(de) DWDS
(no) Bokmålsordboka/Nynorskordboka (Språkrådet)
(dk) Ordnet.dk

(ru) Gramota.ru

(fa) Vazhehyab

(bn) Shongshod Bangla Obhidhan
(hi) Hindi Shabdsagar
(ur) Urdu Lughat
(ur) Urdu Lughat (same name but different site. Modeled after the Oxford English Dictionary)
(mr) Maharashtra Sabdakosa
(sd) Jāmi' Sindhī Lughāta

(ta) Thamizh Mozhi Akaraathi
(ml) Olam

(zh) Dict.cn

(ko) Naver

(ja) Goo Kokugo Jisho

(tr) Ekşi sözlük

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2022-07-25, 1:23

native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-07-25, 3:01

Multiturquoise wrote:Ekşi Sözlük is not a dictionary but more like a social network.
:rotfl:

Multiturquoise wrote:I'm adding the most reliable source for Turkish instead.
Thanks!

Return to “General Language Forum”