Last word in a foreign language that you learnt 2

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: Last word in a foreign language that you learnt 2

Postby linguoboy » 2021-09-09, 19:34

vijayjohn wrote:Spanish (es-mx) ¡No manches! - You gotta be kidding me! Get outta here! etc. (like ¡no mames! except I think that's Mexican-specific whereas, IIUC, ¡no manches! is not)

Both ¡no mames! and ¡no manches! sound very Mexican to me. I don't know what they say in other countries, but in Spain I'd expect to hear ¡no jodas!.

ETA:
La Academia Mexicana de la Lengua wrote:Se trata de una expresión coloquial que presenta alternancia con la frase no manches, la cual constituye un eufemismo de la expresión anterior. Ambas expresiones son muy comunes en México. Cabe señalar que, en la actualidad, con mucha frecuencia se utiliza la expresión no manches sin asociarla con la primera expresión que le dio origen.

Source: https://www.academia.org.mx/espin/respuestas/item/no-mames
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-09-09, 21:25

linguoboy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Spanish (es-mx) ¡No manches! - You gotta be kidding me! Get outta here! etc. (like ¡no mames! except I think that's Mexican-specific whereas, IIUC, ¡no manches! is not)

Both ¡no mames! and ¡no manches! sound very Mexican to me. I don't know what they say in other countries, but in Spain I'd expect to hear ¡no jodas!.

I agree. It's a euphemism for ¡no mames! and mainly used in Mexico.
Elsewhere, "¡No (me) jodas!" like Linguoboy said. That's used in Latin America too, not just Spain. In some areas (especially Rioplatense) it turns up as "¡No (me) jodás!".
They're all slang and (except for ¡No manches!) rather vulgar, but common.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-09-10, 1:35

I asked my Chilean friend what he says and he told me "¡No me huevees!" and honestly I feel like kind of a dumbass for not anticipating that. :)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-09-10, 1:41

linguoboy wrote:I asked my Chilean friend what he says and he told me "¡No me huevees!" and honestly I feel like kind of a dumbass for not anticipating that. :)

LOL

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-09-10, 13:51

(pt-br) cacófato - a ridiculous or obscene word resulting from the union of syllables of neighbouring words. E.g. "Ela tinha muito jeito" > "É latinha muito jeito". More examples here.
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-09-10, 15:06

My grandpa used to overexagerate to make the cacofáto even worse: "eu dei a comida na boca dela " => "eu dei comida na boca de cadela".
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-09-10, 21:44

(ca) engrunar to relate in great detail (lit. "to crumble")

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-09-13, 22:09

Spanish (es) faro - lighthouse, beacon, headlight, bicycle light
Spanish (es) cerro - hill
Guarani (grn) guarini - war
Guarani (grn) áva - person

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-09-16, 14:23

(pt-br) gradativo, gradativamente - gradual, gradually ("gradual" and "gradualmente" also exist with the same meaning).
Last edited by Rí.na.dTeangacha on 2022-02-16, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-09-16, 17:01

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:(pt-br) gradativo, gradativamente - gradual, gradually ("gradual" and "gradualmente" also exist with the same meaning).
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-09-16, 18:01

Bom, é bom saber que alguém está lendo o escrevo aqui, pelo menos! Obrigado (foi erro de digitação, claro, não é que achei que a palavra se escreve "grudual", mas imagino que nem preciso dizer isso neste altura.)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-09-16, 19:30

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Bom, é bom saber que alguém está lendo o escrevo aqui, pelo menos! Obrigado (foi erro de digitação, claro, não é que achei que a palavra se escreve "grudual", mas imagino que nem preciso dizer isso nesta altura.)

Não, mas é bom que tenha dito porque exercitou sua ortografia e me deu a oportunidade de te corrigir.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-09-21, 17:24

(fr)
pétanquodrome nm - pétanque court (or a set of such courts?)

déter adj - determined (epicene; < déterminé)

raccord nm - join (e.g., in wallpaper, wood); connector; adapter; joint; (film) splice
être raccord (avec) - be consistent (with), be in line (with)

I'm struggling to find prescriptive sources on how to write être raccord, but Google Ngrams, which looks at published books, implies that raccord is technically invariable in this usage. Meanwhile, there are a lot of online results where it gets number agreement. That divergent treatment reminds me of adjectivized nouns like marron "brown": prescriptively invariable but, informally, often given number agreement.

DirtyBiology wrote:Ils semblent être déter à avoir une ligne éditoriale sans désinformation. Évidemment c'est risqué comme posture parce que ce que quelqu'un appelle désinfo sera les convictions de l'autre, mais bon au moins ils tentent d'arbitrer sans avoir la main lourde, et ils seront peut-être plus raccord avec vos valeurs.

They [crowdfunding site uTip] seem determined to have an editorial policy free of disinformation. Obviously, it's a risky stance because one person's fake news is another person's firmly held belief, but anyway, at least they try to arbitrate without being heavy handed, and they will perhaps be more in line with your values.

Le Dauphiné libéré wrote:Le nouveau site accueille un pétanquodrome, des courts de tennis et l'école de cirque.

The new site has space for pétanque courts, tennis courts and the circus school.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-09-22, 14:38

(es) otear to look down upon from above, to survey from above
I knew the meaning of "to examine closely, to scrutinize, to scan, to scout" for this word, but not the "from above" nuance. RAE has that as the first meaning: "1. tr. Registrar desde un lugar alto lo que está abajo. 2. tr. Escudriñar, registrar o mirar con cuidado." Apparently, it even shares an etymology with the word "alto" ("oto" is a now-obsolete form of "alto", from Latin altus).

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-09-23, 5:28

(ko) 부들 cattail
(ko) 하늘하늘하다 sway, flutter
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-09-24, 19:57

(fr)
sanguinolent adj - streaked with blood; oozing blood; blood-red
en cosaisine avec - (of an investigation) in cooperation with, jointly with (though I think English would prefer a different structure)

France 3* wrote:"L'animal a été tué récemment car le corps était encore sanguinolant", a déclaré le procureur de la République, Florent Crouhy.
[…]
Une enquête pour destruction d'espèces protégées a été confiée à la gendarmerie de Gap en co-saisine avec l'office français de la biodiversité.

"The animal was killed recently because the body was still bleeding," said the public prosecutor, Florent Crouhy.
[…]
An investigation for destruction of protected species has been assigned to the Gap gendarmerie and the French Biodiversity Agency.

* Note that the article opens with a graphic photograph of a dead wolf

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-09-24, 21:04

Dormouse559 wrote:the Gap gendarmerie

Took me a moment to realise that the Gap does not have a private denim-clad police force in France.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-09-25, 2:45

linguoboy wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:the Gap gendarmerie

Took me a moment to realise that the Gap does not have a private denim-clad police force in France.

Hey, you've got to enforce US cultural hegemony somehow.

md0

Postby md0 » 2021-09-25, 9:27

Due to the Berlin Elections/Expropriation Referendum, I kept hearing the word (de) Konzern (e.g. große Immobilienkonzerne) a lot. My naive interpretation was "interests", as in "business interests" - a somewhat loaded term to be expected by expropriation advocates (very similar to Greek "συμφέροντα", literally "interests"). Close, but not quite. It just means "group of companies", or "όμιλος" in Greek.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2021-09-25, 10:02

md0 wrote:Due to the Berlin Elections/Expropriation Referendum, I kept hearing the word (de) Konzern (e.g. große Immobilienkonzerne) a lot. My naive interpretation was "interests", as in "business interests" - a somewhat loaded term to be expected by expropriation advocates (very similar to Greek "συμφέροντα", literally "interests"). Close, but not quite. It just means "group of companies", or "όμιλος" in Greek.

It's konserni in Finnish. I didn't know it was borrowed from German before your post. :)

Return to “General Language Forum”