Random language thread 6

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random language thread 6

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-12, 3:15

I think you're trying way too hard to find an exact parallel to the situation in East Asian languages, and languages just don't work that way. You're never going to find the exact same situation because you'll never find the exact same set of historical events, relative geographical location, etc. But you do find something very similar even in English.

In other language-related news, it seems that my dad understands Tamil about as well as I do now. I got him to listen to some of the clips on the Tamil Language in Context website. He says he understands Tamil as long as it isn't spoken fast, so he could understand the last two dialogues in Unit 6 (there are twelve units in all), except for the English word "sandwich" in the last dialogue in that unit (which I also struggled with at first, like wtf is "sendichu" or whatever?).

In more general language news...I'm starting to worry that languages aren't all that interesting to me anymore. :para: Like, at this point, I've gotten familiar enough with languages in general that I'm actually having trouble finding a new language to learn - in particular, finding a language that is completely unfamiliar to me at this point (but that I can also learn, I guess?). Maybe it's about time that I started focusing on how to use my languages instead of on how to learn them.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-06-13, 20:06

vijayjohn wrote:Maybe it's about time that I started focusing on how to use my languages instead of on how to learn them.

Maybe you could shift that focus for the languages you're stronger in (i.e., the ones you're at a C1/C2/fluent level), but for any language you're intermediate in or lower, keep it still more of a fun activity?
N: (en-ca)
B1: (fr)
A1: (es) (pt-br) ((ta-lk))
A0: ((sv) (ro) (cy) (gl))
Brackets indicate no active study

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-17, 15:47

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Maybe it's about time that I started focusing on how to use my languages instead of on how to learn them.

Maybe you could shift that focus for the languages you're stronger in (i.e., the ones you're at a C1/C2/fluent level), but for any language you're intermediate in or lower, keep it still more of a fun activity?

No, I don't think that's really the issue. I think what's helping me more is to just try to focus more on the things I don't know in each language. For example, lately, I've been transcribing texts from Teach Yourself Vietnamese but with Chinese characters for all the Chinese loanwords I can find. That's been getting me pretty into Vietnamese (not to mention the fact that my next-door neighbors whose house I can see right out the window from here all day every day speak it).

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2021-07-16, 10:59

We all know that Vietnamese is a Chinese dialect with many Vietnamese loanwords.

Return to “General Language Forum”