Duolingo

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Osias

Re: Duolingo

Postby Osias » 2021-04-07, 15:02

Eu tentei usar o Duolingo pra aprender coreano mas o curso de coreano era horrendo de ruim.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-04-07, 15:07

Osias wrote:Eu tentei usar o Duolingo pra aprender coreano mas o curso de coreano era horrendo de ruim.

I didn't think it was all that bad. Lingodeer is better though.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-07, 15:08

I'll check that out.

(yay, phrasal verbs!)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-07, 15:44

While the Korean course may be better than Duolingo's, the general idea is the same and it's still ridiculous:

There's even a Korean flag!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-04-07, 17:42

Bro you’re like at the first level.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2021-04-07, 22:43

linguoboy wrote:I'm exciting about the Duolingo Yiddish course hatching tomorrow.

Oh, nice!

But when did Duolingo make testing out of lessons a paid feature? :? At least testing out to the next checkpoint still works, and thankfully it was actually doable for the first two checkpoints (even though I lost three hearts and almost failed...)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-04-07, 23:08

kevin wrote:But when did Duolingo make testing out of lessons a paid feature? :? At least testing out to the next checkpoint still works, and thankfully it was actually doable for the first two checkpoints (even though I lost three hearts and almost failed...)

Sometime last fall? I was bummed.

You can still skip the remaining lessons on a level but doing the first two flawlessly. It's a less forgiving route than testing out of a level all at once, but on the other hand you can cheat (by highlighting unknown words). Fortunately, I built up a huge store of lingots last year and had nothing to spend them on, so I use those to pay for placement. (5 lingots a pop, with a reward of 1 lingot for succeeding sometimes.)

I made a couple of dumb mistakes on the initial placement test for Yiddish and was so annoyed I almost quit and started over. But now I'm making it up by passing individual checkpoints so it's no big.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-08, 0:22

linguoboy wrote:Bro you’re like at the first level.

It's just an example.

Return to “General Language Forum”