Random language thread 5

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random language thread 5

Postby księżycowy » 2018-09-13, 12:09

Lur wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Lur wrote:I have to say, while "learn one character set" seems okay, "learn two (potentially three with Japanese) characters sets used differently in different languages" does sound daunting as hell. :lol:

It's not really as bad as it sounds. But really, it depends what you're doing it for. Do you just want to learn a couple hundred characters which show up frequently in art, tattoos, and people's names? That's very doable. Do you actually want to read multiple East Asian languages? That's a very daunting task for reasons quite apart from the character sets in use.

It's more like I have difficulty picking one. :para:

I'll pick for you: Japanese. :twisted:

Lur

Postby Lur » 2018-09-13, 14:17

księżycowy wrote:I'll pick for you: Japanese. :twisted:

I'm pretty sure that if I follow unilangers' suggestions I'll have to do all of them. :lol:
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2018-09-13, 14:19

Well, we already have a Japanese study group, and the Japanese subforum is in need of more activity. Plus I'm not just any Unilanger!

I resemble that remark! :hmpf:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-13, 16:19

TIL there are people who say "in lieu of" to mean "in light of". I guess everything sounds fancier in French?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-09-13, 22:30

"Die Zwille (auch Zwackel, Zwuschel, Flitsche, Fletsche, Zwistel, Zwiesel, Katapult, Kartzi, Katschi, Schlatsche, Kreuzbergschleuder, Spatzenschießer, Zwockel, Gambel, Schlatte, Steinschleuder oder einfach Schleuder[1])" :shock:
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-09-13, 22:36

OldBoring wrote:
Yasna wrote:Fun fact: The syllable gyeong (경) present in the name of three traditional Korean provinces (Gyeonggi [畿], Gyeongsang [尙], and Hamgyeong [咸]) represents a different morpheme in each name.

What???? Salty Mirror?

"In 1509, it was renamed Hamgyong after its two principal cities, Hamhung (함흥, 咸興, Hamhŭng, "Complete Success") and Kyongsong (경성, 鏡城, Kyŏngsŏng, "Mirror," "Clear," or "Perceptive City")." - Wikipedia

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-09-14, 13:19

linguoboy wrote:TIL there are people who say "in lieu of" to mean "in light of". I guess everything sounds fancier in French?

You're kidding? French is the fancy language.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-14, 14:46

Yasna wrote:
OldBoring wrote:
Yasna wrote:Fun fact: The syllable gyeong (경) present in the name of three traditional Korean provinces (Gyeonggi [畿], Gyeongsang [尙], and Hamgyeong [咸]) represents a different morpheme in each name.

What???? Salty Mirror?

"In 1509, it was renamed Hamgyong after its two principal cities, Hamhung (함흥, 咸興, Hamhŭng, "Complete Success") and Kyongsong (경성, 鏡城, Kyŏngsŏng, "Mirror," "Clear," or "Perceptive City")." - Wikipedia

I'm not sure whether Old Boring was doing this on the sly or not, but he pointed up exactly the kind of confusion which comes from "simplifying" a traditional character (鹹) by replacing it with a "related" character (咸) that's now "obsolete" .
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-09-14, 16:19

linguoboy wrote:TIL there are people who say "in lieu of" to mean "in light of". I guess everything sounds fancier in French?

I know it can be used for "in place of", but I think it just sounds silly.

Osias wrote:You're kidding? French is the fancy language.

French can be very un-fancy. And it's not the 18th century anymore.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-09-14, 16:50

It's a bit cliché, but after my rendezvous at a café with a petite girl sporting an ombre coif, I realized I'd forgotten to RSVP to my sister and her fiancé's wedding, so she'd have to make do with a bouquet of flowers in lieu of my presence, which I found rather apropos.

Aurinĭa wrote:I know it can be used for "in place of", but I think it just sounds silly.

I rather like it. As an English speaker, I'm used to having at least three vocabulary choices for everything. Also, since my dialect is yod-dropping, "lieu" and "loo" are homophones, which gives me a little childish joy.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-09-14, 17:56

Aurinĭa wrote:French can be very un-fancy. And it's not the 18th century anymore.

It's not the speakers that decide that. It's the rest of the world that consider it the most beautiful and romantic etc as of today.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN
Forum Administrator

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-16, 20:07

Example?
My TAC for 2018.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (pt-br)

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2018-09-16, 21:40

dEhiN wrote:

Example?

Clearly, "l'esprit de l'escalier".

I am not serious.
Neferuj paħujkij!

dEhiN
Forum Administrator

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-16, 21:46

JackFrost wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Example?

Clearly, "l'esprit de l'escalier".

I confess, I don't quite get the joke. Is that an idiom? (I get the literal translation, but not the meaning/significance).
My TAC for 2018.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-09-19, 0:38

"The problem with all language learning is that it rots the critical faculty: the language is always right, and you are always wrong."

A startling comment from Language Log

dEhiN
Forum Administrator

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-19, 18:24

Yasna wrote:"The problem with all language learning is that it rots the critical faculty: the language is always right, and you are always wrong."

A startling comment from Language Log

It sounds to me like someone who can't stand being wrong or corrected! :D If anything, I would say that language learning improves the critical faculty - forcing you to critically evaluate what you want to get across, how to correctly say it, etc.
My TAC for 2018.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-19, 19:09

I was like, "Which Language Logger said that?" And the answer is, "None of them." It's in a comment from some commentator I don't recall seeing before (apparently a professor of Chinese at UMass).

dEhiN
Forum Administrator

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-19, 19:22

Then I'm even more surprised by that comment, if the commentator is a professor of Chinese!
My TAC for 2018.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-19, 19:37

I get what he's saying. After all, I'm constantly dealing with learners making false generalisations. I've had people actually tell me, "In English, it should be this" about constructions which are barely attested even among non-natives. Well, no, not if that's not what we actually say, no it "shouldn't".

The thread in Language Log is about Literary Chinese, which is particularly tricky to study and teach because there was never any codified grammar of it, as there was for other languages like Sanskrit. You were just supposed to pick it up from reading the Chinese Classics. You can try to make your own generalisations, but if something attested in one of these texts contradicts it, then it's right and you're wrong.

dEhiN
Forum Administrator

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-19, 19:49

linguoboy wrote:The thread in Language Log is about Literary Chinese, which is particularly tricky to study and teach because there was never any codified grammar of it, as there was for other languages like Sanskrit. You were just supposed to pick it up from reading the Chinese Classics. You can try to make your own generalisations, but if something attested in one of these texts contradicts it, then it's right and you're wrong.

Then the comment makes sense; it sounds like Literary Chinese would be tricky to study. However, the generalisation of the comment to all language learning is something I still don't quite agree with.
My TAC for 2018.

Return to “General Language Forum”