Wanderlust support group 4

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 17274
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-09, 21:20

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Ah, now I get what he meant:
OldBoring wrote:You either Either you can read that hanzi or GTFO, stupid illiterate, your Chinese classes were taught by a PE teacher.

I'm not sure about your idiolect, but I've definitely seen/heard/used "you either A or B" as a colloquial variant of "either you A or B".

Okay, that's true in mine, too, but the thing is saying "you either" in this context makes it sound to me like the two options are simply "can read that hanzi" or "(can) GTFO," not "can read that hanzi" or "(can) GTFO, stupid illiterate, your Chinese classes were taught by a PE teacher," so it sounds like you're a stupid illiterate person who got their Chinese classes from a PE teacher either way, which made me confused. :)
vijayjohn wrote:Definitely the first Portuguese-based creole I'd like to do. There's an entire song in it that I memorized ages ago (and part of another that's since been taken off YouTube :evil:).

Isn't Ave Maria by Stromae partially in Cape Verdean Creole?

I believe so.

User avatar
Luís
Forum Administrator
Posts: 6925
Joined: 2002-07-12, 22:44
Location: Lisboa
Country: PT Portugal (Portugal)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby Luís » 2017-11-09, 21:34

dEhiN wrote:Isn't Ave Maria by Stromae partially in Cape Verdean Creole?


It's Ave Cesaria... :P

(see Cesária Évora)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

User avatar
dEhiN
Posts: 4565
Joined: 2013-08-18, 2:51
Real Name: David
Gender: male
Location: Toronto
Country: CA Canada (Canada)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-09, 21:48

vijayjohn wrote:but the thing is saying "you either" in this context makes it sound to me like the two options are simply "can read that hanzi" or "(can) GTFO," not "can read that hanzi" or "(can) GTFO, stupid illiterate, your Chinese classes were taught by a PE teacher," so it sounds like you're a stupid illiterate person who got their Chinese classes from a PE teacher either way, which made me confused. :)

Ok then I'm confused. The way I understand it, GTFO = get the fuck out; so OB is saying that you can either read that hanzi or get the fuck out, and then calling that person stupid and illiterate and saying their Chinese classes were taught by a PE teacher. (Ahh, UL - only on here will a simple sentence with a possibly troll-like comment be linguistically analyzed! :D)

Luís wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Isn't Ave Maria by Stromae partially in Cape Verdean Creole?


It's Ave Cesaria... :P

(see Cesária Évora)

Thanks; I never knew who he was referring to. And I thought something was wrong with that title! But I hear ave and I automatically think maria. :D
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2/B1:(fr) | B1:(pt-BR) | A2:(es-GT) | A1:(sv)(ta-LK)

User avatar
Luís
Forum Administrator
Posts: 6925
Joined: 2002-07-12, 22:44
Location: Lisboa
Country: PT Portugal (Portugal)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby Luís » 2017-11-09, 21:54

dEhiN wrote:
Luís wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Isn't Ave Maria by Stromae partially in Cape Verdean Creole?


It's Ave Cesaria... :P

(see Cesária Évora)

Thanks; I never knew who he was referring to. And I thought something was wrong with that title! But I hear ave and I automatically think maria. :D


She's probably Cape Verde's most popular singer (and was rather popular in France). Here's her most well-known song Sodade (cf. (pt) saudade)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNVrdYGiULM
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 17274
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-09, 22:00

dEhiN wrote:Ok then I'm confused. The way I understand it, GTFO = get the fuck out; so OB is saying that you can either read that hanzi or get the fuck out, and then calling that person stupid and illiterate and saying their Chinese classes were taught by a PE teacher. (Ahh, UL - only on here will a simple sentence with a possibly troll-like comment be linguistically analyzed! :D)

He was saying that if you can't read hanzi, you're a stupid, illiterate person, you learned Chinese from a PE teacher, and therefore, you can GTFO.

User avatar
Vlürch
Posts: 543
Joined: 2014-05-06, 8:42
Gender: male
Location: Roihuvuori, Helsinki
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby Vlürch » 2017-11-10, 16:33

vijayjohn wrote:
Vlürch wrote:how do people tweet in polysynthetic languages where words can get extremely long?

They don't?

At all?
voron wrote:It often happens in Turkish words that only the difference between the final "m" or "n" differentiates between the 1st or 2nd person.
Nouns:
arabam - my car
araban - your car

I still instinctively think of Arabs every time I see the word araba because I keep forgetting that it has the <a> at the end... :oops:
Karavinka wrote:Depends on what they want to tweet? I don't think any language demands every word to be +140 characters long anyways.

księżycowy wrote:Even if they did, it seems you don't understand how polysynthetic languages work. Typically what we would consider one word in Seneca, for example, would be a sentence in English. I think you're exaggerating the word length a bit too. Most words aren't that long.

Yeah, you're almost certainly right, I'm just an idiot. :lol:
vijayjohn wrote:
Karavinka wrote:Manga would usually have furigana.

The ones I have rarely use it.
linguoboy wrote:Words can get extremely long in English.

And Finnish!

Well, yeah, that's why I was wondering how it's even possible to tweet in languages where words get longer than Finnish: I almost always struggle with the 140 character limit the rare times I tweet in Finnish. Then again, even in English, I don't really like using abbreviations unless they're stuff like "IIRC", "wtf", "etc.", etc. Some people got kinda pissed off at me for this once, when one tweet was replied to by some radical feminist who probably didn't even see the one after it, since the 140 character limit hit pretty hard... not that I'd need to be misunderstood to piss people off, but still, it's barely ever my intention to piss people off or have the "wrong" opinions on anything... it's just that when it comes to politics, on most issues I'm a liberal leftist in the literal sense rather than the trendy sense, which is often mistaken for being a far-right retard. :roll:
dEhiN wrote:But I hear ave and I automatically think maria. :D

I think satanas... :para:

I guess I'm not wanderlusting anything right now, and even the languages I'm trying to learn seriously don't seem at all interesting today. Feels weird, but it's probably because I was expecting to get banned from here and read a little bit about Arabic verbs and got mindfucked. My interest in Mongolian is probably more than wanderlust at this point again, too, so I should try to actually seriously learn it rather than just looking up translations for random words and trying to wrap my head around its grammar... I wish there were full infection tables somewhere, but I haven't been able to find any, just lists of the endings. It's almost as good, so I know I'm basically just complaining about nothing, but well.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 17274
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-10, 18:17

Vlürch wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
Vlürch wrote:how do people tweet in polysynthetic languages where words can get extremely long?

They don't?

At all?

linguoboy wrote:Words can get extremely long in English.

And Finnish!

Well, yeah, that's why I was wondering how it's even possible to tweet in languages where words get longer than Finnish: I almost always struggle with the 140 character limit the rare times I tweet in Finnish.

But you still do tweet in it sometimes, don't you?
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2017-11-10, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk
Posts: 6796
Joined: 2005-11-30, 10:21
Gender: female
Location: Utrecht
Country: NL The Netherlands (Nederland)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2017-11-10, 20:14

I guess people say what they have to say in more tweets than, working with 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3. I see that all the time with Dutch tweets.


Oh I'm learning Indonesian now but still like Turkish but I finished all the Duolingo-lessons so I don't know what to focus on now... I like Duolingo but I like Turkish too.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

User avatar
voron
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3825
Joined: 2007-07-15, 3:29
Real Name: Igor
Gender: male
Country: BY Belarus (Беларусь)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby voron » 2017-11-10, 20:59

I haven't been wanderlusting for anything for quite a while now. :( Just a tiny little bit for Bulgarian; but then learning it would probably be boring with my knowledge of Russian, BSC, Turkish and Romanian.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 17274
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-10, 21:04

voron wrote:I haven't been wanderlusting for anything for quite a while now. :(

That's a bad thing?!

User avatar
voron
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3825
Joined: 2007-07-15, 3:29
Real Name: Igor
Gender: male
Country: BY Belarus (Беларусь)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby voron » 2017-11-10, 21:20

vijayjohn wrote:
voron wrote:I haven't been wanderlusting for anything for quite a while now. :(

That's a bad thing?!

No wanderlust means no new language. (Unlike you for me a relation with a new language starts with a wanderlust).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 17274
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-10, 23:07

voron wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
voron wrote:I haven't been wanderlusting for anything for quite a while now. :(

That's a bad thing?!

No wanderlust means no new language. (Unlike you for me a relation with a new language starts with a wanderlust).

Well, I suppose I could always try to make you wanderlust for Hindi/Urdu. Or Pashto. (Or Malayalam, but I know that would be pushing my luck). :whistle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bLvUeTyYK0
(That's the most haunting ghazal I know. Seems appropriate enough to me shortly after Halloween :P).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EqdLvpto0s
Image

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5457
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Loma
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby OldBoring » 2017-11-12, 8:20

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Ok then I'm confused. The way I understand it, GTFO = get the fuck out; so OB is saying that you can either read that hanzi or get the fuck out, and then calling that person stupid and illiterate and saying their Chinese classes were taught by a PE teacher. (Ahh, UL - only on here will a simple sentence with a possibly troll-like comment be linguistically analyzed! :D)

He was saying that if you can't read hanzi, you're a stupid, illiterate person, you learned Chinese from a PE teacher, and therefore, you can GTFO.

Yeah, that's a common joke in China.

Not hanzi in general, but some particular hanzi.
If someone didn't know any hanzi at all and was an actual illiterate, people wouldn't be so mean to say these things, and it also means that that person didn't go to school at all, so the joke "your Chinese was taught by the PE teacher" wouldn't work.

Chinese people make that joke either when someone can't read or write a particular hanzi, or makes mistakes in Chinese language, etc. then the joke is 你的语文是体育老师教的.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 17274
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-12, 9:24

Thanks! :)

n8an
Posts: 431
Joined: 2010-09-01, 6:56
Gender: male
Location: Melbourne
Country: AU Australia (Australia)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby n8an » 2017-11-14, 9:09

I'm super into Kiswahili now. I never thought I would find such joy in a language like this, but it's awesome :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 17274
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-14, 17:20

Isn't Swahili so much fun?! And so appropriate for the weather now in your corner of the world. (Currently, it's appropriate for the weather in mine, too!). I feel like Swahili has also really helped all the other Bantu languages feel more familiar than I'd expect. I've been trying to review my Swahili lately, too. I'm using TY Swahili, so it's pretty hard because it's pretty thorough for a TY book!

User avatar
voron
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 3825
Joined: 2007-07-15, 3:29
Real Name: Igor
Gender: male
Country: BY Belarus (Беларусь)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby voron » 2017-11-14, 19:16

vijayjohn wrote:Well, I suppose I could always try to make you wanderlust for Hindi/Urdu. Or Pashto.

They are already on my to learn list. Not sure when I decide to start learning a new language, but when it happens, it's most likely going to be Hindi/Urdu, Punjabi, Persian, Pashto, or Indonesian.

I like Hindi but I'm a bit unwilling to learn a new writing system from scratch. I know it's just a little part of learning a language, but still... getting used to reading fluently in a language with a different script takes a lot of practice. I'm ok with the Arabic script but not ready to tackle Devanagari.


-- this sounds good!
Last edited by voron on 2017-11-14, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 9221
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-14, 19:17

Indonesian seems out of place. :P
The 2017-2018 NAIL Powwow is starting December 1st! Sign up now!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 17274
Joined: 2013-01-10, 8:49
Real Name: Vijay John
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-14, 21:22

voron wrote:I like Hindi but I'm a bit unwilling to learn a new writing system from scratch.

Well, that's what Urdu is for! :P
this sounds good!

As Meera says, Sardar Ali Takkar is amazing.
księżycowy wrote:Indonesian seems out of place. :P

Indonesia is a Muslim-majority country where my understanding is that the government does not let you forget that even though it's not actually an Islamic republic, at least not in name.

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 9221
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Wanderlust support group 4

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-14, 21:25

Yeah, I always forget about that. Still, not a language that would come to most people's minds in a grouping like that though.
The 2017-2018 NAIL Powwow is starting December 1st! Sign up now!


Return to “General Language Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests