Babel Babble

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

wsz
Babel Babble

Postby wsz » 2004-02-07, 1:02

In this thread, you're welcome to discuss articles from Babel Babble. Any remarks can be sent here as well.

Here also, we will notify you of releasing a next issue of the magazine.

wsz

Postby wsz » 2004-02-07, 13:01

Ok, done. The second issue of Babel Babble has been finished and is available at: http://bb.unilang.org

Go and check it!

Psi-Lord

Hurray! However...

Postby Psi-Lord » 2004-02-07, 17:31

Great! :) But the sound samples of 'Sounding New' are missing. :(
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

wsz

Postby wsz » 2004-02-07, 18:13

Yes, I mistook writing extensions for two files :oops: Thank you, Psi-Lord, for that remark.

My only excuse could be the fact that I'd prepared this whole issue in just 3 days; I worked in a great hurry and finished it late at night, today.

The corrected page will be available tomorrow. I apologise everybody for the inconveniences... :roll: :oops:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2004-02-08, 15:35

Hmm... I suppose bb.unilang.org always point to the current month's edition. How can you see the past editions? Is there some sort of archive?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

wsz

Postby wsz » 2004-02-08, 15:40

Luís wrote:Hmm... I suppose bb.unilang.org always point to the current month's edition. How can you see the past editions? Is there some sort of archive?

I just remind: I suppose that some new members won't know it 8) Yes, there'll be a page with previous issues, available from the BB site...

Starian

Axystos question

Postby Starian » 2004-02-08, 16:21

It's written there that the swedish and norwegian "y" is pronounced in the same way as the dutch "u" or german "ü"/"y", but I learned that the swedish and norwegian "y" is pronounced as something between the dutch 'u' and 'i'....

Marc (Axystos).

Hi thanks for your feedback. About your question: Swedish "y" is pronounced as German "y"/"ü" in "Synonym"/"fünf". Dutch "uu" is pronounced the same way (they all are [y]). From what I know, this "uu" sound can also be represented by a simple written "u" when it is in a open syllable. So, the "u" in "Muren" sounds like the "uu" in "Muur".
http://enfantdeboheme.tumblr.com/

Art will save the world!

Saaropean

Re: Axystos question

Postby Saaropean » 2004-02-08, 16:30

Starian wrote:Swedish "y" is pronounced as German "y"/"ü" in "Synonym"/"fünf".

Being a little picky again: German Y and Ü is pronounced either [Y] (short and slightly more open) or [y:] (closed and long). "Synonym" is [zYnO"ny:m] or [zYno"ny:m], "fünf" is [fYnf].

Starian wrote:Dutch "uu" is pronounced the same way (they all are [y]). From what I know, this "uu" sound can also be represented by a simple written "u" when it is in a open syllable. So, the "u" in "Muren" sounds like the "uu" in "Muur".

Dutch has clear rules saying when a vowel is pronounced short and when it is pronounced long. Long vowels are always long (thus UU [y:]), short vowels are long under certain circumstances, for example in the word "muren" ["my:r@(n)]...
I think a short Dutch U is [8] or so (between [o] and [ø], close to schwa).

In Québécois French, U is sometimes pronounced [Y], slightly more open and shorter than the usual [y].

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2004-02-08, 17:53

How about we ask someone from Sweden to try to explain how (s)he pronounces the y in, for example, the swedish word 'synonym'? Then we can compare that pronunciation with dutch and german.

Axystos.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

Psi-Lord

Theory

Postby Psi-Lord » 2004-02-08, 18:03

I know this is still too theoretical, but here are some examples taken from the SAMPA website:

Swedish:
bytt [bYt]
syl [sy:l]

Norwegian:
lynne ["lyne]
lyn [ly:n]

Danish:
hylde ["hyl@]
hyle ["hy:l@]

German:
hübsch [hYpS]
süß [zy:s]

Dutch:
put [pYt]
vuur [vyr]
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Kubi

Re: Axystos question

Postby Kubi » 2004-02-10, 15:09

Saaropean wrote:[Dutch] short vowels are long under certain circumstances, for example in the word "muren" ["my:r@(n)]...

This circumstance is an open syllable, i.e. one that end in the vowel: vowels that end a syllable are always long, therefore they needn't be marked as long by doubling.
Je défendrai mes opinions jusqu'à ma mort, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez défendre les vôtres. - Voltaire

Kubi

Postby Kubi » 2004-02-10, 15:10

In the BB2, it's said that "a" is a conjunction meaning "and, but" in Polish.

It's the same in Russian, and my guess is that the other Slavic languages have it as well. But that's to be confirmed...
Je défendrai mes opinions jusqu'à ma mort, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez défendre les vôtres. - Voltaire

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2004-02-10, 15:43

Thanks for your feedback, Kubi.

In fact, I was aware of the Russian "a", and this was the one I actually mentioned in the beginning, but I decided to stick only to words that were "purely" "a", without diacritics, and in the latin alphabet. Wsz told me that conjunction existed in Polish, so I took the Russian one off and added the Polish one instead.

Next issue I'm going to change another letter/syllable, so, I have to take it easy and do it with some method. :wink:

If you know about other languages in which a solely "a" can have a meaning as a word, just say that.

Thanks!

Expug
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

leppie

Postby leppie » 2004-02-10, 15:56

In arabic 'a' is (one of the two particles) used as question marker:
a huwa huna?
ا هوهنا
is he here?

Mara

Postby Mara » 2004-02-11, 0:39

E}{pugnator wrote:If you know about other languages in which a solely "a" can have a meaning as a word, just say that.

In Czech and Slovak, "a" means "and".
I am always sorry when any language is lost, because languages are the pedigree of nations.
-- Samuel Johnson, in: The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides by James Boswell (1785)

Kubi

Postby Kubi » 2004-02-11, 7:42

E}{pugnator wrote:If you know about other languages in which a solely "a" can have a meaning as a word, just say that.

In Breton, "a" is a preposition meaning "from" (direction).
In Cornish, "a" as preposition means "of". Furthermore, it's a question particle, mainly for negative questions, and a preverbal particle that marks objects that come before their verbs.
In Welsh, it is
- a question particle
- a preverbal particle
- a relative pronoun meaning "who", "which", "that"
- a conjunction meaning "and"

leppie

Postby leppie » 2004-02-11, 10:08

Hmm... I didn't read "just in latin alphabet"... sorry...

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2004-02-12, 2:41

Congratulations for the second issue!

It was very interesting! Specially the Maori's article!
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2004-02-13, 16:26

Thanks for your examples, Kubi!

I'm gonna add them in BB#3... :wink:
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

slovak1979

Postby slovak1979 » 2004-02-13, 22:06

In HUNGARIAN "A" is an article just like in English but pronounced differently.
"Words fascinate me. They always have. For me, browsing in a dictionary is like being turned loose in a bank." -- Eddie Cantor

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”