Issues and Bugs

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Levike
Re: Technical issues

Postby Levike » 2014-03-28, 16:17

If I make two texts and put them both in "hide"
then only the first one will be shown if I press the "hide/show" button.

Am I doing something wrong?

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2014-03-28, 21:20

Levente wrote:At one of the threads, after I made a table, a huge space appeared before it.
How can I make it disappear?

http://unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=42697&p=937508#p937508

That's the result of how the html table code is implemented, the bigger the table is, the more space seems to be inserted before it. I think that's the fault of how browsers are interpreting the code, but it might be fixable by a change to the code, I'll have to take a look at it sometime. I do know the code doesn't actually say there should be those spaces before tables though.

Levente wrote:If I make two texts and put them both in "hide"
then only the first one will be shown if I press the "hide/show" button.

Am I doing something wrong?

That's a quirk of the code used, it only allows one use of "hide" in a post. Not intended to work that way, so it's one of the things I plan to fix once I'm finished moving.
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-03-28, 21:28

Thanks. :wink:

Apropo, how can I unite two or more cells in a table?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-03-28, 22:10

Levente wrote:At one of the threads, after I made a table, a huge space appeared before it.
How can I make it disappear?
You're not supposed to put line breaks after the [tr] tags. Remove those, and the space should go away.
Last edited by Dormouse559 on 2014-03-28, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-03-28, 22:12

Thanks, it's working. :P

md0

Postby md0 » 2014-04-09, 8:48

Guys, it seems like unilang.org is vulnerable to the recently disclosed OpenSSL 'Heartbleed' attack.
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... ismatch=on

The Electronic Freedom Foundation urges everyone to update their servers
Given the severity of this bug we urge site operators using versions 1.0.1-1.0.1f of OpenSSL to immediately upgrade to OpenSSL 1.0.1g or recompile OpenSSL with the -DOPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS flag; furthermore, any affected server should get a new SSL certificate and rotate any keys that could have been leaked from memory after updating. Please also remember to restart your load balancers after updating.

Enabling Forward Secrecy is also heavily recommended to minimise the risks of encryption fails.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2014-04-09, 9:22

Thanks, we'll look into it.

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2014-04-09, 9:54

Thanks for the message. I had just read about this security issue this morning, it's quite concerning (not really for UniLang but for the web as a whole). This server has just been updated and new certificates will be regenerated immediately.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

md0

Postby md0 » 2014-04-09, 10:13

Thanks for your quick work guys.

Yes, it's a dangerous week for the internet, until everyone updates.
I think all users should go around changing their passwords in all websites, just in case someone was compromised.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2014-04-09, 11:49

Just to clarify some things and provide some security-101 in general:

UniLang didn't even use HTTPS , this means that connections were never encrypted to begin with and passwords were send over the net unencrypted. Making them in theory susceptible to being intercepted by an eavesdropper. Note that sites using HTTPS always have https:// in the URL bar (which you can usually click to see the certificate).

So this particular security flaw did not affect UniLang as we weren't secure in this regard to begin with (nor is any other site you visit that doesn't use HTTPS!!! And now because of this vulnerability many HTTPS sites are not secure either until they pull their act together).

To prevent any misunderstanding and unnecessary worry: though transmitted unencrypted, UniLang user passwords are of course stored in encrypted (=unrecoverable) form in our database and the database has not been compromised.

In this day and age, with Edward Snowden's revelations, NSA & Co snooping around everywhere and users having tons of important accounts all around, providing no HTTPS will not do of course. I have therefore enabled HTTPS support for UnILang as well now, meaning people wanting encryption can now use https://unilang.org (note that some insensitive parts of the site may still be passed unencrypted). When you access https://unilang.org you will first get a security warning and may have to confirm a "security exception" because the certificate is a self-signed one (by me), rather than verified by an independent authority. Despite the warning, this is not a problem (assuming you trust me). You will want to store this exception permanently so you don't have to confirm it every time.

Note 1: If you're paranoid and want to be really sure those are the certificates I created and you're not being tricked by someone in the middle, then verify the certificate fingerprint which should be F6:4C:79:3A:24:FD:C3:59:92:4B:63:63:24:CC:68:F6:FB:CB:A0:8A (SHA1) or 75:BE:06:7B:9E:75:31:25:34:14:25:38:B3:DC:21:AB (MD5) )
Note 2: Now if you're a real professional paranoid you should be worried whether I in fact typed this message or if some evil-doer managed to break in, edit my message, and change the fingerprints. I'm of course mostly being sarcastic but I do want to make a point that absolutely foolproof security is impossible.

Last, but not least, some general tips on security:

- Never use the same password on multiple sites
- If a website offers HTTPS, use it! (this especially goes for big sites and big accounts like facebook, google) and is absolutely mandatory for anything that involves banking or online shopping.
- Similar for mail, ensure your mail connection (IMAP, POP3, SMTP) is encrypted. If you use public webmail like gmail, us https, but be aware of privacy risks inherent in letting someone else host your mail, especially if servers are hosted in countries known to violate privacy on a regular basis (yes, this is not just China but includes the US too).
- Always be aware whether your password is transmitted encrypted (https) or unencrypted (http) and again, never use the same passwords for both mechanisms. If you're not sure, assume it's unencrypted.
- Don't use a password with words that could be found in a dictionary, use variation, include digits and special characters, and make sure it is sufficiently long.
- Be especially careful on public computers and third-party wireless connections, never connect to wireless access points you don't know
- Change passwords immediately if you suspect they may be compromised, especially if you use the same password on multiple accounts (which you shouldn't)
- Don't write your password on a post-it and stick it to your monitor
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-07-09, 14:37

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but just in case:

Some words from a couple of posts have become links.

For example at the "What song have you listened to" thread
when I wrote @Ipsedixit, after posting it it became a link.

Tell me I'm not the only one.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-07-10, 21:41

Sorry, Levike, but I don't see it showing up as a link there.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-07-11, 2:21

It's most likely some sort of adware or similar program that was installed on the computer doing that. I remember that happening to me a while back. It's nothing to do with Unilang. If you can find the right program to delete/uninstall, you can be rid of the problem.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-07-11, 16:59

Yeah, I had that problem at one point, too. Ultimately, I think I resolved it by just switching to Linux. :P

Levike

Postby Levike » 2014-07-11, 17:13

They already disappeared and I can't explain why.

It lasted like one day.

Lazar Taxon

Re: Issues and Bugs

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2014-11-14, 4:30

Is anyone else having an issue with the site frequently logging them out? I have cookies enabled and I check the "remember me" box, but nonetheless I've found myself logged out several times over the past couple days.
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-11-14, 9:45

Lazar Taxon wrote:Is anyone else having an issue with the site frequently logging them out? I have cookies enabled and I check the "remember me" box, but nonetheless I've found myself logged out several times over the past couple days.

Sounds like a broken cookie, and this usually happens sooner or later on any forum unless you clear your browsing history frequently. Simply clear your cookies and it should work fine again :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-11-15, 4:21

Yeah, I randomly get logged out sometimes, too.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2015-01-07, 21:07

Did the e-mail notification for new private messages stop working? At least it did for me, although I haven't changed any settings and it used to work perfectly.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-07, 21:58

Axystos wrote:Did the e-mail notification for new private messages stop working?

Yes.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”