English - Multi

Moderator:JackFrost

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Re: English - Eibhlín

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-06-02, 17:14

Saim wrote:[1] I'm not actually really sure why you said never here. Do you mean it'll never be perfect?
I don't see that as a commenting on the future. When I use "never" in the present, it often means that something never happens as of now, with no implication about the future.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-06-02, 18:08

Eibhlín wrote:I’ll maybe go to Qatar this summer

"I may go to Qatar this summer" sounds better to me. Will implies a certain definiteness which is at odds with maybe.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2014-06-05, 14:14

Dormouse559 wrote:I don't see that as a commenting on the future. When I use "never" in the present, it often means that something never happens as of now, with no implication about the future.

Yeah but I personally would also say "It'll never be perfect". It sounds way more natural than "It's never perfect".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-06-05, 14:23

Cesare M. wrote:Yeah but I personally would also say "It'll never be perfect". It sounds way more natural than "It's never perfect".

Both sound natural to me. They're not interchangeable because the implications are different.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2014-06-05, 14:53

linguoboy wrote:
Cesare M. wrote:Yeah but I personally would also say "It'll never be perfect". It sounds way more natural than "It's never perfect".

Both sound natural to me. They're not interchangeable because the implications are different.

That is true of course.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: English - Caitlín

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-07-28, 16:49

I'm now writing another English text: (Don't worry, I can communicate with English-speaking foreigners easily. I'm writing this just as a drill)

Note: I'm not describing myself, so don't take it seriously. Everything written in these texts is fictional.

About me (The word "me" describes Melanie)
Hello! I'm going to introduce myself. My name is Melanie. I'm fifteen years old and I'm going to high school. I'm from Ireland. My mother's name is Caoimhe and my father's name is Oisín. I have an older sister, Kathleen and a younger brother, Keith. I speak English and am learning French and Irish at school. I know a few words in Turkish and I want to learn Greek. I was born in 2 December 1998 in Galway. I spent my first three years in Galway and later we moved to Dublin. I have long straight blonde hair and blue eyes.

My holidays
I've been to Turkey twice. When I was eight, it was the first time we've been to Turkey. We were in Kartalkaya. I couldn't ski at the age of eight, but my mother and father have skied there. And then, we went to Istanbul, got on the plane and returned to Ireland. At the age of fourteen, we went to Bolu again, but that time we didn't go skiing. We visited Abant and Yedigöller.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2014-07-28, 22:32

Caitlín wrote:About me (The word "me" describes Melanie)
Hello! I'm going to introduce myself. My name is Melanie. I'm fifteen years old and I'm going to high school. I'm from Ireland. My mother's name is Caoimhe and my father's name is Oisín. I have an older sister, Kathleen and a younger brother, Keith. I speak English and am learning French and Irish at school. I know a few words in Turkish and I want to learn Greek. I was born on 2 December 2nd 1998 in Galway. I spent my first three years in Galway and later we moved to Dublin. I have long straight blonde hair and blue eyes.

My holidays
I've been to Turkey twice. When I was eight, it was the first time we've been to Turkey. We were in Kartalkaya. I couldn't ski at the age of eight at the time, but my mother and father have skied there before. 1) And then, we went to Istanbul, got on the plane and returned to Ireland. 2) At the age of Then, when I was fourteen, we went to Bolu again, but that time we didn't go skiing. We visited Abant and Yedigöller.

1) It is better to save "then" until the next sentence
2) "At the age of fourteen" is correct, but in that case it does not sound natural.

Orange - correct but unnatural.

Hope I helped! :)

Thon

Postby Thon » 2014-07-29, 7:53

You should post this under Translations.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-07-29, 10:02

A couple more things.

Caitlín wrote:I'm fifteen years old and I'm going to high school.

"I go to high school" or I'd prefer "I'm in high school".

I know a few words in Turkish and I want to learn Greek.

Just a preference, but to me "few words of Turkish" sounds much better.

I was born in 2 December 1998 in Galway.

Writing the date like this is fine, since it's the British convention.

When I was eight, it was the first time we've been to Turkey.

"we went to Turkey", but this sentence sounds strange to me. I would say "I was eight when we went to Turkey for the first time" or "I was eight the first time we went to Turkey".

I couldn't ski at the age of eight, but my mother and father have skied there.

I agree it sounds better with "before" but it should be "had skied there before".

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-09-02, 13:32

Hi guys! This topic is active again! I'm going to write something.

It would be better if Molly won the Eurovision Song Contest this year. I think that the Eurovision Song Contest is no longer completely a song contest. I was born in 1998, and the first Eurovision Song Contest that I remember is the Eurovision Song Contest 2004, which had been held in my home country. I was more interested in Eurovision in 2008, but the Contest made me hate on many things. Then I've begun to hate the Contest, but some songs in the Contest was good. I usually don't watch television, and I've watched this year's contest on Internet, and it was the last Eurovision Song Contest that I've ever watched. I'll neither watch nor follow the developments about the Contest next year. The Contest's musical purpose is slowly fading away and the Contest is slowly converting into a political contest, and even the long-time Eurovision enthusiasts aren't happy about this. The music is losing its importance and political views are gaining importance in the Contest.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2014-09-02, 13:53

Caitlín wrote:Hi guys! This topic is will be active again! I'm going to write something.

It would be better if Molly won the Eurovision Song Contest this year. I think believe that the Eurovision Song Contest is no longer completely a song contest. I was born in 1998, and the first Eurovision Song contest that I remember is watching was the Eurovision Song Contest 2004 one, which had been held took place in my home country. I was more interested in the 2008 Eurovision in 2008, but the contest made me hate on many things. (That sentence not only sounds unnatural, but also should not belong here, instead you could say something like but then I felt that it wasn't really as exciting as the one four years earlier.) Thus I've begun I began to hate the 2008 contest, but some songs in the contest was good there were some good songs. I usually don't watch television, and so I've I watched this year's contest on Internet online, and it was the last Eurovision Song Contest one that I've ever watched. I'll neither watch nor follow the developments about of the contest for next year. The contest's musical purpose is slowly fading away and the Contest is slowly converting into becoming a political contest, and even the long-time Eurovision enthusiasts aren't happy about this. The music is losing its importance and political views are gaining more importance in the Contest.

Advice, do not repeat the subject too much.

Also, dark blue - optional.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-11-13, 15:54

I would like to ask you something:

There are quite a few English books to buy, but I don't have enough money to buy Oxford or Cambridge's grammar books (they're sold at booksellers here but they're too expensive). Can you recommend me something cheaper for me? I love studying languages, including English. I'm too tired today, and I need to study school subjects :( I also like school subjects but I'm not used to study them.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-14, 7:42

Caitlín wrote:I would like to ask you something:

There are quite a few English books to buy, but I don't have enough money to buy Oxford or Cambridge's grammar books (they're sold at booksellers here but they're too expensive). Can you recommend meEither "me" or "for me," not both, but the latter is better something cheaper for me? I love studying languages, including English. I'm too tired today, and I need to study school subjects :( I also like school subjects but I'm not used to studying them.

I'm sorry, I can't help with recommendations or anything like that, but I could make corrections :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2014-11-14, 15:46

Really? "Recommend me something" sounds idiomatic to you?

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2014-11-14, 15:52

linguoboy wrote:Really? "Recommend me something" sounds idiomatic to you?

In Canada we tend to say "recommend me something" a lot, at least people from the area where I live do.

However in any case "recommend something to me" is also possible.

Halfdan

Postby Halfdan » 2014-11-14, 18:21

"Recommend me something" sounds normal to me as well.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-15, 1:37

In fact, I think "recommend me sth" is more common than the alternative.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-11-15, 17:28

Don't worry. Again, I can make silly mistakes every time. But I'm mainly focused on British English.

The national football team of England* is my favourite. Come on England! ;)
I have nothing against Slovenia, but I would like England to win the match! ;)
I grew up watching TV programmes like Teletubbies, Tweenies and Balamory on the BBC. We used to have cable TV in our old apartment, but after we moved (in 2008), we couldn't subscribe for cable TV. But instead, we subscribed for Tivibu in 2012 and there were BBC World News and BBC Entertainment, but after we cancelled our subscription for Tivibu in late 2012, I couldn't watch those channels.

*Which is better? (Please use British English ;))
The national football team of England
The English national football team
The England national football team

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2014-11-15, 23:11

Caitlín wrote:
*Which is better? (Please use British English ;))
The national football team of England
The English national football team
The England national football team

They are all acceptable, the second two sound better though. "The England national football team" sounds like the kind of thing some people would say is "wrong", but I hear that kind of thing all the time. The most colloquial way would be just "The England team", "The England squad" if the context made it clear you were talking about football.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: English - Aisling

Postby Multiturquoise » 2015-07-21, 17:19

I'm trying to translate this into English:

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/29604678.asp

Hürriyet wrote:Kilis'in Elbeyli ilçesinde, Suriye'deki çatışma bölgesine geçmeye çalışan ve terör örgütü DAEŞ mensubu olduğu belirtilen yabancı uyruklu 2 kişi yakalandı.

İl Emniyet Müdürlüğünden yapılan açıklamaya göre, güvenlik güçleri, analiz çalışması sonucunda Terör örgütü DAEŞ mensubu oldukları belirlenen 2 kişiyi Elbeyli Otogarında gözaltına aldı.

Şüphelilerin, Moskova doğumlu A.B. (34) ile Grozni doğumlu Çeçen uyruklu Rus vatandaşı M.Z. (27) olduğu tespit edildi.

Türkiye'ye giriş yaptıkları pasaportları yanlarında taşımadıkları belirlenen 2 kişi hakkında, "Terör örgütüne üye olmak" suçundan soruşturma başlatıldığı bildirildi.

In the Elbeyli district of Kilis, two foreigners who tried to enter the conflict zone in Syria and reportedly are members of Daesh have been arrested.

According to the statement made by the Provincial Security Directorate, security forces have taken two people who were identified as members of the Daesh terorist organisation, into custody at the Elbeyli Bus Station as a result of the analysis study.

The suspects have been identified as Moscow-born A.B. (34) and Grozny-born Russian citizen of Chechen nationality M.Z. (27).

It is reported that an inquiry has been instituted about the two people who reportedly didn't take their passports with which they entered Turkey with them for the crime of being members of a terrorist organisation.

Return to “English”