Lëtzebuergesch

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
GDJ
Re: Lëtzebuergesch

Postby GDJ » 2010-02-03, 22:15

Does anyone know of any Luxembourgish literary websites? Even with Google translated searches it's often difficult to find what you're looking for. You can often fool it by searching in a related language - which is the method I used for finding sites in Arpitan, Romansch and other minority langauges.

I'm an SF author in my spare time and I've been published in 18 langauges so far. I've also had very short stories translated into another 20 langauges and posted on my own website where I couldn't find an outlet for them. So, to go back to my original question, are there any Luxembourgish websites that publish short fiction? Or if not, would anyoe be interested in translating a 100 word story that I can post on my website?

Thanks!

Gareth

http://www.garethdjones.co.uk
Native: [flag]en[/flag]
Almost fluent, but now getting rusty: [flag]en[/flag]British Sign Language
Good enough for holidays: [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]de[/flag]
A few words: [flag]cy[/flag][flag]zh[/flag][flag]el[/flag]

JW1

Postby JW1 » 2010-02-05, 13:42

GDJ wrote:Does anyone know of any Luxembourgish literary websites? Even with Google translated searches it's often difficult to find what you're looking for. You can often fool it by searching in a related language - which is the method I used for finding sites in Arpitan, Romansch and other minority langauges.

I'm an SF author in my spare time and I've been published in 18 langauges so far. I've also had very short stories translated into another 20 langauges and posted on my own website where I couldn't find an outlet for them. So, to go back to my original question, are there any Luxembourgish websites that publish short fiction? Or if not, would anyoe be interested in translating a 100 word story that I can post on my website?

Thanks!

Gareth

http://www.garethdjones.co.uk

Try contacting Jerome Lulling at luxdico@gmail.com. I believe he is working in the Grand Duke's administration to promote the Luxembourgish language.
και αυτη εστιν η μαρτυρια οτι ζωην αιωνιον εδωκεν ο θεος ημιν και αυτη η ζωη εν τω υιω αυτου εστιν. ο εχων τον υιον εχει την ζωην ο μη εχων τον υιον του θεου την ζωην ουκ εχει.

GDJ

Postby GDJ » 2010-02-05, 15:56

JW1 wrote:Try contacting Jerome Lulling at luxdico@gmail.com. I believe he is working in the Grand Duke's administration to promote the Luxembourgish language.

Thanks for the tip.

-Gareth
Native: [flag]en[/flag]
Almost fluent, but now getting rusty: [flag]en[/flag]British Sign Language
Good enough for holidays: [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]de[/flag]
A few words: [flag]cy[/flag][flag]zh[/flag][flag]el[/flag]

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2010-04-28, 15:56

I found some useful links for Luxembourgish at the website of the University of Luxembourg:
:arrow: Luxogramm - Informationssystem zur Grammatik des Luxemburgischen (Lux. grammar, including complete verb conjugation tables; in German)
:arrow: Luxemburger Wörterbücher (Lux. dictionaries; in German), includes dictionaries of nearby German and French dialects

ruusukaali

Postby ruusukaali » 2011-08-13, 2:58

Hopefully no one will get their knickers in a bunch if a bump this year-old Lëtzebuergesch thread, but I thought maybe there's still people out there learning it? Maybe? :O Fun fun when the language has barely any English resources.

Anyway, I've been kind-of-sort-of-on-off semi-attracted to this language for at least a year, maybe a year and a half, and only recently realised "holy crap this language is great, I want to learn it." Too bad I don't speak German, that'd make things easier!

I might try to use this site:
http://www.quattropole.org/fr/e-learning
You have to register, but it's free, and then you get access to 8 lessons, each lesson being split into at LEAST 5 parts. Comes with videos, audio, puzzles etc. "fill-in-the-blank", "put these words in the correct order" etc. Lessons in English, German and French!

I must say I LOVE THE FACT THAT THEY USE DEFINITE ARTICLES WITH PEOPLE'S NAMES :''')) "Hi my name is The Bob, that's The John and we're going to see The Sally" :'D Oh adorable.

Hover your cursor over the word and listen!
Youtube lessons (THE BEST IS LESSON 5 :') )

AAaand a song I found in Lëtzebuergesch on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHRS0hEmniM
I KNOW IT'S ABOUT SANTA CLAUSE, but it's still so beautiful it seriously makes me cry :}

And here's a bunch of people being interviewed in Luxembourg, asking what all languages they speak. Pretty interesting. You've even got the token American couple who only speak English, "Weeeeeeellllllllll everybody speaks English so you don't even have to learn Luxembourgish LOLOL!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPhXnQKfuRg

Anyone else still into Lux or has everyone gotten over it and moved on to bigger and better things :l

(oh and i totally didn't read the thread so all these links might very well already be here, in that case consider this a free BUMP!)
:bounce:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-08-13, 4:02

ruusukaali wrote:I must say I LOVE THE FACT THAT THEY USE DEFINITE ARTICLES WITH PEOPLE'S NAMES :''')) "Hi my name is The Bob, that's The John and we're going to see The Sally" :'D Oh adorable.

This is common all over southern Germany as well. Since proper names don't decline, it's very practical, as it makes it easy to distinguish accusative objects from dative ones.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

ruusukaali

Postby ruusukaali » 2011-08-13, 15:56

linguoboy wrote:
ruusukaali wrote:I must say I LOVE THE FACT THAT THEY USE DEFINITE ARTICLES WITH PEOPLE'S NAMES :''')) "Hi my name is The Bob, that's The John and we're going to see The Sally" :'D Oh adorable.

This is common all over southern Germany as well. Since proper names don't decline, it's very practical, as it makes it easy to distinguish accusative objects from dative ones.

Mmhmm, I also read that the periphrastic genitive that Lëtz uses is also found in colloquial and dialectal German, but not standard German. :O Then there's all the German and French people I've seen online reacting to the language with hilarity, so I'm GUESSING the whole thing just sounds like funny German. :lllllll
:bounce:

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2011-08-15, 15:30

ruusukaali wrote:Mmhmm, I also read that the periphrastic genitive that Lëtz uses is also found in colloquial and dialectal German, but not standard German. :O

That's true. As a rule of thumb: the northern German dialects don't have a dative case, the central and southern dialects don't have a genitive case.

ruusukaali wrote:Then there's all the German and French people I've seen online reacting to the language with hilarity, so I'm GUESSING the whole thing just sounds like funny German. :lllllll

Luxembourgish is a Moselle Franconian language/dialect with lots of French loan words, and less influenced by Standard German than most dialects in Germany.
Moselle Franconian is spoken around the Moselle river, and belongs to the West Central German group of languages/dialects. So it's more or less comprehensible to people from west central Germany.
On the map above, I went to high school in the dark blue area, close to Völklingen, so Luxembourgish is quite comprehensible to me.

And most German dialects "sound funny" to Germans, but that's a different topic. ;)

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-08-16, 8:21

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-05-08, 3:11, edited 1 time in total.

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-11-10, 15:46

Could you maybe make a lesson about verbs?
I would love to know the standard conjugation of verbs and all forms of 'to be' and 'to have'.
Image Image Image Image | Image | Image

Weerwolf

Postby Weerwolf » 2011-11-10, 16:10

Reinder wrote:Could you maybe make a lesson about verbs?
I would love to know the standard conjugation of verbs and all forms of 'to be' and 'to have'.

You seem to be hooked on Lëtzebuergesch. :)
Well, if you search on Wiktionary, you can find heaps of Luxemburgish verbs . Conjugation of 'to have' and conjugation of 'to be' .
In het middelpunt staan: [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]nl-BE[/flag] [flag=]af[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag]
Heel hartelijk bedankt voor elke hulp!
Ich bin für jede Verbesserung dankbar.

Минден кездет нехез.

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-11-10, 16:16

Weerwolf wrote:You seem to be hooked on Lëtzebuergesch. :)
Well, if you search on Wiktionary, you can find heaps of Luxemburgish verbs . Conjugation of 'to have' and conjugation of 'to be' .

Wow, thanks, that's great, I don't know Wiktionary very good, but I'll use it now.

Lëtzebuergesch kléngt uerg wonnerlech. :)

Weerwolf

Postby Weerwolf » 2011-11-10, 16:20

Reinder wrote:
Weerwolf wrote:You seem to be hooked on Lëtzebuergesch. :)

Wow, thanks, that's great, I don't know Wiktionary very good, but I'll use it now.

Lëtzebuergesch kléngt uerg wonnerlech. :)

No problem, pal. Actually, Wiktionary isn't bad at all, there are also example sentences for certain words, so you can see how they are used in context.
In het middelpunt staan: [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]nl-BE[/flag] [flag=]af[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag]
Heel hartelijk bedankt voor elke hulp!
Ich bin für jede Verbesserung dankbar.

Минден кездет нехез.

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2011-11-10, 19:50

It's all in the UniLang Wiki:
Luxembourgish verbs

Regular conjugation: the verb "schaffen" (to work)
ech schaffen, du schaffs, hien/si/hatt schafft, mir schaffen, dir schafft, si schaffen
Past tense: ech hu geschafft

Conjugation with vowel change: the verb "soen" (to say)
ech soen, du sees, hien/si/hatt seet, mir soen, dir sot, si soen
Past tense: ech hu gesot

Irregular as in most languages: the verb "sinn" (to be)
ech sinn, du bass, hien/si/hatt ass, mir sinn, dir sidd, si sinn
Past tense: ech si gewiescht

And the other auxiliary: the verb "hunn" (to have)
ech hunn, du hues, hien/si/hatt huet, mir hunn, dir hutt, si hunn
Past tense: ech hu gehat

Note that the Eifeler Regel applies to final N's. And don't forget that "ue" and "oe" are diphthongs.

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-11-10, 21:03

Saaropean wrote:It's all in the UniLang Wiki:
Luxembourgish verbs

A schéin, dat ass fantastesch, villmools Merci!

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-08-25, 4:02

Could someone please help me figure out a word in a Luxembourgish song? I have the lyrics, but the two times this word is used there are blank spaces in the text. The song is Hesperkutsch. :whistle:

It can be heard around the 1:45 mark in the video below, and the verse that it's in in the lyrics follows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdTGV0BZBM

An hues de als Student emol een décke ston,
da brauchs de dofier nach nët op Léck ze gon,
den ________ hat verstan, den ________ ass geflunn
an huet am Flieger sëch der schon e puer gezunn.

I've loved this song for years and it's always annoyed me how I don't know that word!

Thanks! :)
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Linguist

Postby Linguist » 2014-10-15, 0:39

Lëtzebuergesch ist einfach unfassbar...
Zwar klingt diese Sprache sowas von abartig, scheint aber als germanische Sprache mega schwer zu sein und wird somit wieder interessant. :)
[ownflag=]http://www.nationalflaggen.de/media/flags/flagge-heiliges-roemisches-reich-ab-1400.gif[/ownflag] Die anderen tugende sind einwiht, und ist dâ bî diu stæte niht.

melski

Postby melski » 2015-03-13, 19:30

I've just come across this news that might interest English speakers : a beginner's book to teach Luxemburgish to anglophones has been published, aiming at teaching A2 level (therefore only the basics)

Lastly there was someone interested in learning Luxemburghish here on Unilang, myabe that can be useful.
See the book here + review by Luxemburger Wort

NB if this wasn't evident I am of course not affiliated with the author
................Native: French (fr) French
................Fluent: English (en) English , Italian (it) Italian
.........Intermediate: German (de) German, Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Portuguese
.........Conversational: Catalan (ca) Catalan, Spanish (es) Spanish
....................Learning: [flag=Wallisian (East Uvean / faka'uvea)]wls[/flag] Wallisian (topic here)

Melusina

Postby Melusina » 2016-04-19, 5:43

Lauren wrote:Could someone please help me figure out a word in a Luxembourgish song? I have the lyrics, but the two times this word is used there are blank spaces in the text. The song is Hesperkutsch. :whistle:

It can be heard around the 1:45 mark in the video below, and the verse that it's in in the lyrics follows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdTGV0BZBM

An hues de als Student emol een décke ston,
da brauchs de dofier nach nët op Léck ze gon,
den ________ hat verstan, den ________ ass geflunn
an huet am Flieger sëch der schon e puer gezunn.

I've loved this song for years and it's always annoyed me how I don't know that word!

Thanks! :)

It's a rather raw text, maybe you could find an other favorite song.

Melusina

Postby Melusina » 2016-04-19, 5:45

Weerwolf wrote:
Reinder wrote:Could you maybe make a lesson about verbs?

You seem to be hooked on Lëtzebuergesch. :)

www.astridlulling.lu Lëtzebuergesch .

Return to “Other Languages”