Moderator:Johanna

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Swedish Discussion & Minor Questions

Postby Johanna » 2014-05-30, 15:56

razlem wrote:kö = /køː/
kök = /ɕøːk/

:dunno:

Are there any other cases where the k (or sk) change before front vowels doesn't apply?

kör - when it means 'choir'
kille
kissa
kex - if you're a weirdo, which in this case means half the country :P
kilo - outdated, but you can hear it from some old people.

skiss
sketch

Off the top of my head.

And then there's människa which according to the spelling should have /sk/ but has the sj-sound.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2014-05-30, 16:44

skelett
kiwi (båda uttalen)
kirskål (ett ätligt ogräs) Saob har dock tjirs- så folk uttalar väl fel idag ...
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-05-30, 16:48

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:skelett

One should mention that it's pronounced /sklɛtː/, so it's more of a case of the spelling being irregular than the pronunciation not following this rule.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2014-05-30, 17:12

Johanna wrote:One should mention that it's pronounced /sklɛtː/

Not when I say it. [skɪ'lɛtː] (The e is very weak, but it is still pronounced.)
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Muisje

Postby Muisje » 2014-06-01, 10:06

Hey guys, I need your help :) For a presentation at uni I need a transcription of two short bits from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWSXHU1ir5Q. I need the parts from 7:20-8:05 and 30:58-31:30 (especially that one). If someone could write down the Swedish parts for me, that would be great :mrgreen:
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2014-06-02, 1:41

Your cutoff for the second part was a bit odd, since it started in the middle of a scene and a sentence, but anyway:

Varför sade du att det här var okej, det här är en brottsplats?

Varför sade du att det var okej?

Han var ju inte döende!

Nää. Jag är polis.

Du, vad heter du?

Mer?

Ro?

Kan du legitimera dig?

Du släppte igenom en ambulans där vi har hittat Malmös kommunfullmäktiges ordförande död, troligen mördad?

Antagligen inga. Tack.

---

Två halva kvinnokroppar funna på bron. Den ena Kerstin Ekvall, och den andra, som har varit nedfryst i ett år, Martin?

Ja, och det är ungefär allt vad vi har från den danska utredningen, som är minst sagt undermålig.

Muisje

Postby Muisje » 2014-06-02, 11:49

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:Your cutoff for the second part was a bit odd, since it started in the middle of a scene and a sentence, but anyway:
Thank you!
Hm yeah, the second part is mostly about Martin's little speech in Danish, and then the first sentence for context, but yea I agree it's a bit in the middle of things :)
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

Marah

Postby Marah » 2014-06-10, 17:56

Hej! :)
http://youtu.be/q2fphu5cYaE?t=2m6s
Is she trying to imitate a Stockholm accent?
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-06-10, 18:19

Marah wrote:Hej! :)
http://youtu.be/q2fphu5cYaE?t=2m6s
Is she trying to imitate a Stockholm accent?

Nope, she's trying to exaggerate her own Gothenburg one, and not doing a very good job at it :P

Her accent in the rest of the video is pretty normal for a middle-class woman her age from Gothenburg, which is probably why she fails at doing a working-class one

Marah

Postby Marah » 2014-06-10, 18:30

Okay, she was talking about the Stockholm accent in the rest of the video, it got me confused. Thank you! :P
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-06-13, 0:12

Hello,
should I use bli or bliva? :hmm:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-06-13, 0:53

TeneReef wrote:Hello,
should I use bli or bliva? :hmm:

Bli is the way to go :) Bliva is overly formal and old-fashioned.

bli - blir - blev - blivit
infinitive - present - past- supine

Or well that's in the written language, in spoken you hear bli - blir - ble - blitt a lot.

Grytolle

Postby Grytolle » 2014-06-13, 5:41

vart!! :mrgreen:

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-06-13, 12:23

Nowadays, vart is standard in Nynorsk only. :P
The Routledge grammar of Swedish says it's okay to use vart in colloquial speech of Svealand and Norrland.

-------------
Göteborgska är den sexigaste dialekten :mrgreen:
http://www.expressen.se/gt/goteborgska- ... dialekten/
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2014-06-13, 19:22

Johanna wrote:bli - blir - blev - blivit
infinitive - present - past- supine

Or well that's in the written language, in spoken you hear bli - blir - ble - blitt a lot.

Around here, in Sweonic: bli-blir-vart-blive

Marah

Postby Marah » 2014-06-28, 11:36

Hej!
Vilken on-line tidning ska ni rekommendera? :hmm:

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2014-06-28, 16:30

Marah wrote:Hej!
Vilken on-line tidning ska skulle ni rekommendera? :hmm:

Menar du allmänna dagstidningar eller något speciellt?

För egen del vet jag inte ens vilka som finns idag.

Den här sidan verkar ha länkar till många tidningar:
http://www.internetstart.se/tidningar.asp

Om du vill ha en tidning som skäller på nazister och sexister så kan du pröva ETC nästan längst ned i den svenska listan.

Oldsauce1

Postby Oldsauce1 » 2014-06-28, 23:05

Hello!

Ive been wanting my first tatt for quite a while and i want a phrase that i thought of, only in swedish. my bloodline comes from Sweden and i want it to make me feel close to my roots. So i just wanted to be sure that if its going to be on me forever, that its correctly put together haha.

So the phrase is:

Love thy family

Cherish friendships

Know thyself

Google translate have me this: älska din familj, vårda vänskap, känn dig själv

i had the source text seperated by commas just for the translator. But my tattoo wont have the commas. So if someone or preferably several people could fill me in on the correct translation i would be grateful. Although you wont be getting a 'translation credit' on my body haha. Thanks all.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2014-06-30, 18:59

Oldsauce1 wrote:Hello!

Ive been wanting my first tatt for quite a while and i want a phrase that i thought of, only in swedish. my bloodline comes from Sweden and i want it to make me feel close to my roots. So i just wanted to be sure that if its going to be on me forever, that its correctly put together haha.

So the phrase is:

Love thy family

Cherish friendships

Know thyself

Google translate have me this: älska din familj, vårda vänskap, känn dig själv

i had the source text seperated by commas just for the translator. But my tattoo wont have the commas. So if someone or preferably several people could fill me in on the correct translation i would be grateful. Although you wont be getting a 'translation credit' on my body haha. Thanks all.

I would say that the translation is correct, but those are not particularly Swedish phrases, and seem rather Latin or Greek or something. Could you not find a traditional Swedish phrase instead?

Oldsauce1

Postby Oldsauce1 » 2014-07-01, 0:13

Thats cool thank you very much! Nah i like that one. i just thought it up myself. I figure if it will be on me forever i want it to be truly meaningful to me. I did consider swedish phrases though funny u should mention that. Why, do u have a suggestion that would be similar to what i had thought up?

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”