Lëtzebuergesch

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
frany71

Postby frany71 » 2005-05-01, 9:55

Hi Saaropean,

Although I'm not a native speaker, I would like to comment something you wrote about the use of languages in Luxembourg, i.e.

And now for the reality. Schools teach in all three languages, and the average Luxembourger does speak all three fluently.

In the Luxembourgish school system there are no subjects taught in Luxembourgish, except the Luxembourgish language. Children use only Luxemburgish in the pre-school years and they start with German classes in the primary school, so the teaching of literacy skills takes place in German (as it's the closest language to the language they're supposed to speak at home, which is not always the case due to the large presence of foreigners in Luxembourgish schools...), then French comes later... In high schools some subjects are taught in French, others in German. Although teachers often talk to their students in Luxembourgish, text books are either in German or in French and exams are either in German or in French. This causes a big linguistic issue of course and it's still a major debate in the Luxembourgish society. Luxembourgish dictionaries are more and more available in bookshops and libraries though. Recently, a comprehensive grammar of the Luxembourgish Language has been published in French by the Ministry of Education (Grammaire de la langue luxembourgeoise, Ministère de l'Education Nationale et de la Formation Professionnelle, ISBN: 2-495-000258).
As for local newspapers, there are more papers in French now. Even the French version of the "Luxembourger Wort"(La Voix).
Because of this complex and diverse linguistic situation in the country, IMHO I wouldn't state that the average Luxembourger can speak all three languages fluently.
It depends on the location and on many other factors (interests, education, work environment etc.) In more central and northern parts of the countries Luxembourgish is much more used and sometimes even young people can't speak French properly. Along the eastern border German is widespread, but it's a tourist destination, so especially in bars, restaurants and hotels everyone is fluent in at least four languages. However in the South, near the French border, German is never used and even though the average Luxembourger would be able to speak German, I wouldn't generalize saying that they can all speak fluently, especially if they only use Luxembourgish at work and at home. Old people tend to speak German very well since during the German occupation French was not taught at school.
I think some natives prefer reading German newspapers and literature and watching German television. However I know some of them who completed their studies in France and prefer using French in the everyday life...
This is maybe an interesting website:
http://www.eu2005.lu/fr/savoir_lux/soci ... /index.php
I use at least 3 languages every day and I think that it's quite usual over here :)

Francesco

de Diddenuewener

méthodes

Postby de Diddenuewener » 2005-05-16, 8:57

Il y en a plusieurs : la méthode "da lass", avec vidéo cassete, mais qu'on trouve que au luxembourg, le livre d'expressions et de vocabulaire "esou schwätze mir", que l'on peut trouver en Moselle, mais à Paris, je sais pas. Et il y a aussi une nouvelle méthode qui vient de sortir, mais uniquement au luxembourg.
Sinon, il y a des cours en ligne sur divers sites. Je peux aussi t'envoyer un cours de grammaire que j'ai sur le PC.
Tjüss
Jang.

Aszev

Postby Aszev » 2005-05-16, 18:40

Was sind die Unterschiede zwischen Deutsch und Luxemburgisch? Was macht Luxemburgisch eine eigene Sprache?

*Vielleicht gibt es Fehler hier, mein Deutsch ist nicht zu gut.. :?

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2005-05-16, 18:44

http://www.stefanjacob.de/Geschichte/Unterseiten/TextprAlle.php#Luxemburgisch

Hier steht etwas dazu und du kannst es zudem mit anderen germanischen Sprachen vergleichen. :)

Aszev

Postby Aszev » 2005-05-16, 18:46

Vielen dank Amikeco!

remi25

Stied an Dierfen am Rhäinland

Postby remi25 » 2005-08-20, 0:01

Bonjour / Moien,

est-ce que quelqu'un pourrait m'aider à trouver l'équivalent en luxembourgeois des noms de communes des régions mosellanes limitrophes du Grand-Duché ?
Les exemples les plus connus sont bien sûr "Tréier" (Trier) ou "Biébreg" (Bitburg), mais comment dit-on en Lëtzebuergesch Irrel, Bollendorf, Bettingen, Stockem, Geichlingen, ....
D'avance merci!

In der Gegend von Trier (Tréier) und besonders Bitburg (Biébreg) sprechen die Leute immer noch Luxemburgisch. Aber ich hätte gern wissen, wie alle diese Gemeinde (z.B. Irrel, Bollendorf, Bettingen, Stockem, Geichlingen, ....) auf Luxemburgisch heissen. Kann jemand mir helfen ?
Vielen dank!

daisy

Phonetic spelling needed, please

Postby daisy » 2005-08-20, 14:59

Hi,

I would like to know how to pronounce the word "Lîchtmesdâg."

(By phonetic I mean--for instance, the word Hello is pronounced HELL-oh. I would like to know the phonetic spelling and the proper syllable stress, if it's not too much trouble.)

If someone could please help me, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

daisy

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2005-08-20, 15:25

According to my dictionary "6000 Wierder op Lëtzebuergesch", Liichtmessdag is pronounced [ˈliːçtməsdaːx], SAMPA: ["li:Ctm@sda:x].

For English speakers: LEESHT-mess-dahkh with SH standing for a palatal rather than an alveolar fricative, and KH standing for a velar fricative like the Spanish J.

Click on the links to learn more. ;-)

daisy

Postby daisy » 2005-08-20, 19:23

Hi Saaropean,

Thanks so much for your help--this is great!

I never took linguistics (even though I've studied four languages), so the links were very interesting--and helpful. :D

daisy

allemaalmeezinge

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2006-03-30, 1:42

ich glaube nicht, dass die eigene Namen haben auf Luxemburgisch :P

Shibo77

Postby Shibo77 » 2006-05-23, 1:12

Irrel, Bollendorf, Bettingen, Stockem, Geichlingen
Eardel, Bollenduerf, Betten, Stackem, leider kann ich nicht ein Name auf Luxemburgisch für Geichlingen finden.

nettchelobek1

Postby nettchelobek1 » 2006-05-31, 0:26

Which are the main differences between Luxembourgish and Low Saxon?
"From relativity ... one obtains an unequivocal proof for the view of philosophers who, like Parmenides, Kant, and the modern idealists, deny the objectivity of change as an illusion or appearance due to our special mode of perception" Gödel.

allemaalmeezinge

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2006-07-08, 14:09

:roll:

nettchelobek1

Postby nettchelobek1 » 2006-07-09, 2:26

:?:
"From relativity ... one obtains an unequivocal proof for the view of philosophers who, like Parmenides, Kant, and the modern idealists, deny the objectivity of change as an illusion or appearance due to our special mode of perception" Gödel.

nettchelobek1

Postby nettchelobek1 » 2006-07-09, 4:37

why that face?

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2006-07-09, 5:52

I don't know what Yabba means with ":roll:", but I can tell you about some of the differences between Low Saxon (LS) and Luxembourgish (Lux.):

LS is related to Dutch. Lux. is closely related to the Moselle Franconian dialects of neighboring Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland and Lorraine.
Lux. distinguish accusative and dative case.
Lux. went through some of the consonant shifts that distinguish Dutch and German: English "water/apple", Dutch "water/appel", Low Saxon "Water/Appel", Luxembourgish "Waasser/Apel", Yiddish "vaser/epl", German "Wasser/Apfel".
Lux. is full of French loan words. See Rbeinischer Fächer.
In Lux., the past participle usually uses the prefix ge- (as in Dutch and German)
Maybe other people can give you more differences...

remi25

Postby remi25 » 2006-09-06, 22:43

Danke sehr, Shibo!

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2006-09-07, 4:49

Saaropean

D'Lëtzebuerger Orthographie (official spelling)

Postby Saaropean » 2006-09-09, 7:48

:arrow: http://www.cpll.lu/

Dat ass den Homepage vum Conseil permanent de la langue luxembourgeoise. Die hunn en Dokument (140 Säiten!) iwwert d'offiziell Schreifweis:
C'est le site web du Conseil permanent de la langue luxembourgeoise. Ils ont un document (140 pages !) sur l'orthographe officiel:
Das ist die Homepage des Ständigen Rates der Luxemburgischen Sprache. Die haben ein Dokument (140 Seiten!) über die offizielle Rechtschreibung:
That's the web site of the Permanent Council of the Luxembourgish Language. They have a document (140 pages!) about the official spelling:

:arrow: Lëtzebuerger Versioun / Version française

Méi Infos (mat vill Links):
Plus d'infos (avec beaucoup de liens) :
Mehr Infos (mit vielen Links):
More info (with many links):

:arrow: lb.wikipedia.org/Lëtzebuergesch

Tuga

Basic Luxembourgish

Postby Tuga » 2006-10-10, 11:17

Hello,

I would be interested in learning enough basic Luxembourgish to get around, but I don't have enough time to start seriously learning the language. I can already say a few basic words and phrases, but I'd like to know how to order food and drink (the specific words for different foods and drinks) and how to ask for transportation or locations of buildings (post office, restaurant, etc.) Could anyone reccomend any websites to me, or would anyone perhaps be willing to translate words for me if I gave them a template? I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
-Tuga

Return to “Other Languages”