Můj český deník.

perskychrt
Re: Můj český deník.

Postby perskychrt » 2012-01-23, 12:02

When I was 15, I got a Finnish textbook and found it absolutely fascinating. In 16 I went to Finland on holidays and decided not to give up and study the language properly... but, well, I gave up :D I mean, I still do know most of the grammar and stuff, but my vocabulary got really rusty. I'm planning to revive it, however, and I already started the Finnish for beginners courses at my university and got my facebook page into Finnish :D

(Když mi bylo 15, dostal jsem učebnici finštiny a připadala mi naprosto fascinující. V šestnácti jsem jel do Finska na prázdniny a tam se zařekl, že to nevzdám a budu finštinu studovat pořádně... nicméně jsem to vzdal :D Sice pořád umím většinu gramatiky a tak, ale slovíčka jsem prakticky zapomněl. Každopádně to plánuju oživit, už jsem se zapsal do kurzu Finštiny pro začátečníky na vysoké škole a přeložil si do finštiny svůj facebook :D )
poetry level: czech, english
pub level: polish, french
shopping level: finnish, arabic
wannabe level: kalaallisut & such

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-23, 13:08

In that case, we can probably help each other :)! And what a great idea to write the same thing in English and Czech: I just learned several new words, and in the right context too, which (at least for me) is the key to learning vocabulary. If you want, I can do that for you in Finnish?

A quick question before I leave for my Czech class: how do you write the date in for example letters and diary entries? In Finland we use 23.1.2012 or 23. tammikuuta 2012.

(Siinä tapauksessa me voimme varmaankin auttaa toisiamme :)! Ja miten hyvä idea kirjoittaa sama juttu englanniksi ja tsekiksi: opin juuri useita uusia sanoja, ja oikeassa yhteydessä myös, mikä (ainakin minulle) on avain sanaston oppimiseen. Jos haluat, voin tehdä niin sinulle suomeksi?

Äkkiä vielä yksi kysymys ennen kuin lähden tsekin tunnille: miten kirjoitetaan päivämäärä esimerkiksi kirjeissä ja päiväkirjamerkinnöissä? Suomessa käytämme 23.1.2012 tai 23. tammikuuta 2012.)
[flag]fi[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-23, 18:29

The same 23. 1. 2012 or 23. ledna 2012 :)

And to the music, my bits : I would recommend chinaski, exactly the pop/rock with electric twist :)

And a little bit out of that style Jaromír Nohavica (great texts, guitar folk music) or Karel Kryl (not such a good one on musical side, but strong texts and gets better once you get to know the history of last 70 years in Czech Rep :) )
native: [flag=]cs[/flag]
almost native(C2 level): [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]
understand natively, but not speak much:[flag=]sk[/flag]
just started: [flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]es[/flag]
interested in: [flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]grc[/flag]

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-24, 15:02

Thanks again, I checked out a couple of songs by Chinaski and Priessnitz, and liked what I heard - the latter reminds me a bit of the Swedish band Kent... I quite like the melancholic sound ;).

Tak... Today I have a culture question. I know it's difficult to make generalisations of whole nations, but would you say Czechs are more frank and straight forward, or more polite and indirect? I mean for example when a person is asked out by another person he/she doesn't like in that way... A Dutch reply might be: "Hahahah no, never!!", whereas in an Asian face-saving culture it might be "Yes" even though the person has no intention of going. A Finn is somewhere in between, most likely will say no but still try to make it polite: "Well... Maybe that's not the best idea... I mean I think you are great, but there's just all this stuff going on..."

Finns also (in general) tend to mean what they say. In American culture, "How are you?" and "We should have lunch sometime!" don't mean anything but social chatting, but in Finland the first gets a detailed reply of what's going on in their lives and the second gets a suggestion for a date and time of the lunch date!

Also, another aspect of this, in China I was repeatedly told I was fat (which I am not, but anyone is huge compared to them) straight to my face with a smile. And in Italy my friend will always hear "Oh look at you, you have gained so much weight!!", like there is nothing special about that statement. I've been asked by a German how much money I make and by an American what my religious and theological views are - within five minutes of meeting them. In Finland, it would be very unusual to hear any of this in a conversation, as we respect privacy and minding one's own business almost above any other thing. So what about Czechs - can these kinds of things be talked about?

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-25, 3:41

Aurelia wrote:I know it's difficult to make generalisations of whole nations, but would you say Czechs are more frank and straight forward, or more polite and indirect? I mean for example when a person is asked out by another person he/she doesn't like in that way... A Dutch reply might be: "Hahahah no, never!!", whereas in an Asian face-saving culture it might be "Yes" even though the person has no intention of going. A Finn is somewhere in between, most likely will say no but still try to make it polite: "Well... Maybe that's not the best idea... I mean I think you are great, but there's just all this stuff going on..."

My jsme v tomhle ohledu podobní jako Finové, alespoň z mého pohledu. Ale jak píšeš, velmi záleží na jednotlivci, jsou Češi podobní Holanďanům (Haha, ani náhodou), pak je asi většina těch co jsou jako Finové, no a nakonec i pár co jsou jako Asiaté :)

We are, in this, very much like the Finns, at least in my point of view. But as you write, it depends on the individual, there are those similar to Dutch (Haha, no never), then ther's the majority like Finns and at last some are like the Asians.

Aurelia wrote:Finns also (in general) tend to mean what they say. In American culture, "How are you?" and "We should have lunch sometime!" don't mean anything but social chatting, but in Finland the first gets a detailed reply of what's going on in their lives and the second gets a suggestion for a date and time of the lunch date!

Odpověď na otázku "Jak se máš?" záleží na tom, jak se moc se s tazatelem znáš. Obvykle víš jestli je to jen "social chatter" a máš odpovědět "Dobře" nebo "Ok", nebo jestli se tazatel opravdu zajímá o to jak se máš a chce podrobnou odpověď. Kdežto "Měli bychom někdy zajít na oběd" u nás, stejně jako ve Finsku, dostane jako opověď otázku "Kdy máš čas?". Či-li opět je to velmi podobné jako ve Finsku :)

The answer for the question "How are you" depends on you relation to the person asking. You usually feel how the question is meant, whether the other one wants only social chatter or if he really wants to hear an honest answer. Whereas for the sentence "We should go for lunch sometimes" usually gets answer "And when do you have time?". Which means it is similar to Finnish way :)

Aurelia wrote:Also, another aspect of this, in China I was repeatedly told I was fat (which I am not, but anyone is huge compared to them) straight to my face with a smile. And in Italy my friend will always hear "Oh look at you, you have gained so much weight!!", like there is nothing special about that statement. I've been asked by a German how much money I make and by an American what my religious and theological views are - within five minutes of meeting them. In Finland, it would be very unusual to hear any of this in a conversation, as we respect privacy and minding one's own business almost above any other thing. So what about Czechs - can these kinds of things be talked about?

Popravdě řečeno, nad tímhle jsem nikdy nezamýšlel :) Říct někomu, že ztloustnul, nebo přibral je obvykle urážející. Co se náboženství týče... hmm o tom se u nás obecně moc nemluví, protože víc jak 60% procent lidí se nehlásí k žádnému (mám dojem, že to je nejvyšší procento v Evropě). A je bráno za normální zeptat se kde pracuješ, ale už ne tak kolik za to bereš (opět, mezi přáteli je to něco jiného, není to pak až tak striktní na co se smíš a nesmíš ptát :) ). Jinak nevím, opravdu jsem se nad tím takhle nezamýšlel a nesledoval to :)

To be honest, i never though about that :). Say to someone that he/she is fat, or gained weight is considered rude. As for religion .... well, we don't talk much about it, as there are over 60% percent people who claim that they are not religious (i think this percentage is the highest in Europe). And it is normal to ask "Where do you work", but not that much "How much do you earn" (again, this is something different between friends, it would be much less strict about the things you can and can't ask). But i don't know, i have never thought about this that way and have never paid any mind to it.

Sorry if my english sound weird, but at 4:35 AM on a night shift is my brain not working to the full extent :-D
interested in: [flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]grc[/flag]

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-25, 9:46

Thank you thank you thank you! You are lifesavers, taking the time to answer my questions (in the middle of the night too :shock: - kde pracuješ?)!

Yes based on my visits in Czech Republic (though only Prague and Kladno so far) I've gotten the impression that we are maybe more similar than different... Not just in culture but some history as well, like being wronged by bigger nations around us, which of course affects the culture too. (Though if comparing Sweden and Finland to Czech and Slovakia, you are like Sweden is for us: bigger, richer (?), more famous and always get the medals in hockey ;)!)

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-25, 13:40

Vážená paní učitelko,

bohužel dnes mám migrénu a nemůžu přijít do školy (na vysokou školu? na přednášku?). Můžete mi dát informaci o domácí úkol na zítra? Děkuji předem.

S pozdravem

Does this make any sense? :D

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-25, 17:09

Aurelia wrote:Thank you thank you thank you! You are lifesavers, taking the time to answer my questions (in the middle of the night too :shock: - kde pracuješ?)!

I work as a help desk operator for Zurich Financial Services and we work 24/7 :) Very flexible work time, which a plus for student :)

Aurelia wrote:Yes based on my visits in Czech Republic (though only Prague and Kladno so far) I've gotten the impression that we are maybe more similar than different... Not just in culture but some history as well, like being wronged by bigger nations around us, which of course affects the culture too. (Though if comparing Sweden and Finland to Czech and Slovakia, you are like Sweden is for us: bigger, richer (?), more famous and always get the medals in hockey ;)!)

Yes it definitely seems so :) ..... We were richer tha Slovakia, but not sure about now ... I understand that you have visited Prague, but why Kladno? :-D

And yes your email in the last post ist correct :) only one mistake: "o domácí úkol na zítra?" is correctly "o domácím úkolu na zítra" .... but it makes sense :)

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-02-07, 20:53

Here again... I've been very unwell for the past two weeks, so no energy to study or to do anything really. But still alive, at least :).

So how do you say in Czech: get well soon?

Abominacja Desolacji

Postby Abominacja Desolacji » 2012-02-08, 22:20

Tohle nevím, ale těší mě, že pokračuješ ve psaní deníku : ).

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-02-09, 1:14

Aurelia wrote:Here again... I've been very unwell for the past two weeks, so no energy to study or to do anything really. But still alive, at least :).

So how do you say in Czech: get well soon?

Brzy se uzdrav :)

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-04-02, 19:21

Ahoj všichni,

just wanted to let you know I'm still alive :D. The past two months have been crazy, but it's starting to get better.

I passed my Czech exam and now have to write a small essay in Czech and then I'm done with the course! It was a lot of fun, the best course I took all year.

I'm still looking into possibly living in Prague starting this autumn... The only thing that worries me is quite honestly the low salaries. I saw an ad for a full time teaching position that would pay 20,000 kr per month - I know the cost of living is also lower but that just seems like very little money for a lot of work. Would you experts say that is a normal salary for that kind of job? Money is not the most important thing, but I will have to pay bills...

Anyway, I'm glad to be better and back to studying Czech. I will most likely ask for more help soon ;).

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-04-04, 14:14

Hi,

welcome back :) Glad to hear that you are better :)

As for your questions about the salary, yes, unfortunately the teacher's salaries are very low in Czech rep, so this (as far as i know) is normal starting salary for a teacher.

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-04-04, 16:33

Thanks for the reply! I must say that sounds very very low... Here the starting salary is €2,700 (66,500 kr) + extra for any responsibilities. But of course everything is more expensive.

Oh well, I don't actually plan to work as a teacher, though that's what I'm graduating as, but I'd rather go into translating. Very flexible location-wise, you see ;). Learning Czech to the point where I could translate from it into Finnish would give me a great edge compared to many other translators, as that is a lot more rare than just English-Finnish.

Ok, now I have to write a short story on my typical day in Czech... I'm pretty sure I'll be asking for help soon :D.

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-04-04, 18:13

Ok, first question: Like every morning, I go jogging.

Jako každé ráno, chodím... zaběhat? zacvičit?

How would I say "for one hour"?

hreru

Postby hreru » 2012-04-09, 19:43

If you're listing what you do that very typical day, I'd say "Jdu si na hodinu (= for an hour) zaběhat, jako každé ráno." "Chodím" indicates regular activity here, so it doesn't sound right.

Dnes ráno si jdu zaběhat. Chodím běhat každé ráno.

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-06-23, 10:52

It's official... (almost...)

V září se budu stěhovat do Prahy! :mrgreen:

cal

Postby cal » 2012-06-27, 7:41

Doufám, že se ti tu bude líbit. :good4u: Hodně štěstí!
"A compliment for us is a compliment for you." Ed, Singles

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”