Romanian Discussion Group

E}{pugnator
Romanian Discussion Group

Postby E}{pugnator » 2004-08-16, 17:35

Salut!

This is the place for discussions about the Romanian language. Feel free to post any questions and comments about the language so we can discuss together. Native speakers are welcome for assisting us.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2004-08-18, 2:53

This is the first language I fell in love with, and we broke up in a hard way...

Siddharth used to teach me and it seems he passed away...

Please, make some resources, EU IUBESC LIMBA ROMÂNA!
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

parousia

Postby parousia » 2004-08-19, 23:52

Strigo,

Siddharth used to teach me and it seems he passed away...

Perhaps you didn't see my correction of your use of the expression "passed away" in a previous post (http://www.unilang.org/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15). The expression "passed away" means DIED. Please be careful using this expression! :wink:

Instead you could say: "it seems he has gone on to other things" or "it seems he no longer comes here" or "it seems he's abandoned us!" :wink:

Have a nice day. :)

parousia

That's what I meant <-- (Strigo)
Last edited by parousia on 2004-08-20, 1:38, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » 2004-08-20, 1:19

Salut profesori mei drag! :D

Am văzut această arestare pe un website [I saw this caption on a website]:

"Şeful pompierilor militari, Vladimir Secara recunoaste ca are in subordine si oameni mai slab instruiţi."

Eu aş traduce acesta ca [I would translate this as]: "The chief of military firemen, Vladmimir Secara, recognizes that he has poorly trained men under his command."

How would I translate the "şi" (bolded above)? I know that "şi" can mean "also/too" but it doesn't seem to fit...It seems to me that this little word is sprinkled here and there in Romanian - or at least that's my impression as a beginner in the language. :)

Apropo, aici e un site unde puteţi ascuta un radiojurnal în română [Here's a site where you can listen to news in Romanian.]: http://www.rfi.fr/fichiers/Langues/roum ... n_main.asp

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2004-08-20, 1:30

Sorry parousia, I edited your message, sorry!! :oops:
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

parousia

Postby parousia » 2004-08-20, 1:50

Acela e mesajul meu de deasupra al lui Strigo la [ That's my post above Strigo's on] Fri 2004-08-20, 1:19. Eram "Guest-ul" [I was the "Guest"] Scuze.

Strigo, nu-i nimic :wink:

parousia

duko

Postby duko » 2004-08-20, 7:57

Anonymous wrote:Salut profesori mei drag! :D

Am văzut această arestare pe un website [I saw this caption on a website]:

Hi,
It goes like this:
Salut, profesorii mei dragi!
profesorii - with definite article, because you say something like "I greet the professors"
dragi - plural

Am văzut acest titlu pe un website
- arestare is when you arrest (capture) somebody :)

Anonymous wrote:"Şeful pompierilor militari, Vladimir Secara, recunoaşte că are în subordine şi oameni mai slab instruiţi."

Eu aş traduce acesta ca [I would translate this as]: "The chief of military firemen, Vladmimir Secara, recognizes that he has poorly trained men under his command."

How would I translate the "şi" (bolded above)? I know that "şi" can mean "also/too" but it doesn't seem to fit...It seems to me that this little word is sprinkled here and there in Romanian - or at least that's my impression as a beginner in the language. :)

"Şi" means "too" in this context. What the chief means is that
he has some poorly trained people too (besides the amazingly well trained rest)

If you cut out the şi:
"Şeful pompierilor militari, Vladimir Secara, recunoaşte că are în subordine oameni [mai] slab instruiţi."
the meaning would change to: "He's got poorly trained men under his command", which definitely sounds worse :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ron720

Postby Ron720 » 2004-08-23, 23:46

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum. Duko replyed to my first post. On another area of the forums. I'm very interested learning Romanian. I love the sound of the language. To me it has a very Latin side to it. But it sounds to me the way it is spoken is more Russian or Slavic. I have some frineds that live in Romania and someday I would like to visit Romania. I would like to be able to speak in Romanian with my frineds.
I can't speak any other language other than English.
It seems alot of people here where I live. They tell me to learn Spanish.
I would like to know if I was to learn Romanian. Would then learning Spanish be easyer to learn? Sence they are Latin based Languages. Well I do know that Romanian has some Slavic in it.
I'm currently trying to decide wich Language to learn. The ones I'm thinking about are Romanian or German or Russian. There seems to be alot of books and classes for learning German around here where I live. Also finding info on Russian is not to hard as well. But I would pick Russian before German just becasue my family comes from there.
I do know some very basic words in Russian but that is all. But for some reason my mind is set on wanting to learn Romanian. If I was to learn Romanian would it help me in anyway for say larning an non Latin based language. Like German or Russian?

For some reason when I tell people here. I want to learn Romanian. I get the look and feel from these people as if it is some worthless language :( . I dont view it as so.

Thank you for your time on helping me out with my questions.

Ron

parousia

Postby parousia » 2004-08-24, 1:24

Ron720 wrote:For some reason when I tell people here. I want to learn Romanian. I get the look and feel from these people as if it is some worthless language :( . I dont view it as so.
Ron

And you're right! To say categorically that a language is worthless is meaningless, worse than meaningless – it's pernicious. What kind of value would a language have to have to make it worthwhile? Apparently millions of people speaking the language don't think it's "worthless." Is Spanish (which by the way is also a beautiful language) worthwhile because we live close to Mexico? What if you never set foot in Mexico? or any other Spanish-speaking country? What if you learn Spanish because everyone told you to, but it never figures into your future simply because you had no interest in it in the first place, which could very well happen. You could do what people say and reluctantly learn Spanish or German or Russian or some other "worthwhile" language while your heart longs for the sounds of Romanian. Does this make sense?

From the standpoint of language learning, it seems that your desire to learn a language is the most important factor. If you really want to learn a language, you will – whether it's Romanian, Icelandic, Pauli, or Japanese. Besides, what makes you limit yourself to just one foreign language. If you must, you can always learn Spanish, German, or Russian as well (or all three :D ). But DO learn Romanian, I myself find the sound of Romanian irresistable, even the rote conversations on the language tapes I've borrowed from the public library make my pulse beat faster. :wink:

By the way, Salut [Hi]! :D Bine aţi venit [Welcome]! :D I'm just a beginner in Romanian myself. The native speakers who answer our questions on this forum are generous and kind, and super sharp! They will help you. There are also quite a few resources on the internet as you may have discovered, and of course books. It's nice to *meet* another Românăphil (<--- can I coin this word or does such a word already exist? :roll: )

parousia

Ron720

Postby Ron720 » 2004-08-24, 2:04

Hi Parousia
Thanks for the info. I dont know of many webpages for learning Romanian. The only one I know of and use is this one. http://www.travlang.com/languages/cgi-b ... 2=romanian
Learning more than one other Language is my plan. I would like to learn Romanian then Russian or German.
There seems to be alot of Romanians moveing here to the states. But I have yet to personaly meet any Romanians. Can you or anyone give me some links to order books or CD's computer software For Learning Romanian?.
My frinds in Romania are suppost to be sending me some books on basic Romanian. My only resource for hearing Romanian. Is listening to some live Romanian Radio stations on the net. Also online messagers like Yahoo messager. There are some Romanian chat rooms. I love to listen to it but I cant understnad much of it other than the words da=yes. And I know La revedere = goodbye and Buna seara.
I think it would be nice to have tapes or CD's. So then I can hear how these words are pronounced. My friends in Romania help me with how you say the words. But the audio on the online messagers is not very good.

Also sence I have never learned another language before. What should be my first step?. Learning the basic words for hello goodbye etc. I have read alot about the language also. I think it belongs to the Indo-European Languages.

Ron
La revedere

duko

Postby duko » 2004-08-24, 9:11

Parousia, yes, you can say Românofil. For other languages it's
francofil, anglofil, rusofil. I know a guy ho said he was francofag (to some French people :shock:) but he was only joking :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Kangoo

Postby Kangoo » 2004-08-30, 19:52

Hi mates!

What does it mean in Romanian?

How are you?

How old are you?

I am 27 years old

Where are you from?

I am from Austria

I know to speak Romanian

Thanks in advance :-)
"You can´t teach an old dog new tricks" :-)

"Das Fussballspiel wird erschwert durch die Anwesenheit des Gegners"

parousia

Postby parousia » 2004-08-31, 21:44

Kangoo wrote:Hi mates!

What does it mean in Romanian?

I imagine it means the same in Romanian as in English :P

You mean "How do you say it in Romanian?" :D

How are you? = Ce mai faci? or just Ce faci? (familiar); Ce mai faceţi? (formal)
How old are you? = Câti ani ai? or Ce vârstă ai? (familiar) Câti ani aveţi or Ce vârstă aveţi? (formal)
I am 27 years old = Am 27 (douăzeci şi şapte)
Where are you from? = De unde eşti? (familiar), De unde sunteţi? (formal)
I am from Austria = Sunt din Austria.
I know to speak Romanian = I know how* to speak Romanian = [this one I'm not sure about :? ] Ştiu să vorbesc română. [??]
Thanks in advance <--- :?: Cum se zice în română?

Noroc! :wink:
parousia

parousia

Postby parousia » 2004-08-31, 22:25

duko wrote:about "fir-ar să fie!":

To have it complete, one would say:
"fir-ar a(l) dracului"
or
"să fie a(l) dracului"

Mersi pentru explicaţiea, duko! :D Impressive disquisition. :D

De ce este "l"-ul în paranteze acolo? [Why is the "l" in parentheses there?]

În plus, aş vrea să stiu să se zice următorul în română: [In addition, I would like to know how to say the following in Romanian]:

paper airplane

parousia

parousia

Postby parousia » 2004-08-31, 22:46

Titorulez wrote:A full Romanian grammar in English (183 pages!) is available as a .pdf file at the following address:

http://seelrc.org/grammars/pdf/stand_alone_romanian.pdf

On the seelrc.org site you can also find the Romanian Verb Handbook (on 127 pages), also in .pdf format.
The site also offers complete Macedonian, Czech, Polish, Russian and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian grammars in .pdf format.

Great stuff!

:!: Mulţumesc foarte mult Titorulez! :D În cele din urmă, am avut timpul să cercetez acest website. Este foarte mişto! :D Este chiar pentru ce cautam. Gramatica e puţin cărturăresc, dar e foarte completă. Mersi din nou.

[Thanks so much Titorulez! Finally, I found the time to look over this website. It's really cool. It's just what I was looking for. The grammar (the grammar book download) is a bit scholarly, but very complete. Thanks again.]

parousia

duko

Postby duko » 2004-09-01, 9:47

Very good, Parousia! Ok, una câte una:
A diacritic is missing in the word for "how many": câţi.

- I know how to speak Romanian
here you could use either the noun language "Ştiu să vorbesc limba română", or the adverbial form "Ştiu să vorbesc româneşte".

- a(l) dracului, the l in parentheses is there because you must agree with the
gender (and number) of the posessed object for genitive.

Code: Select all

sg.               pl.

masc.       al dracului        ai dracului

fem.         a dracului       ale dracului   

- Mersi pentru explicaţie ; there should be no a there, then again, maybe it's a typo :) Anyway, explicaţie with definite article is explicaţia.

- În plus, aş vrea să stiu să se zice următorul lucru în română
It sounds awkward without the word "thing": I'd like to know how to say the following thing.
Or, another usual approach is to ommit the subject but to make it plural (it would be then lucruri)
În plus, aş vrea să stiu să se zic următoarele în română

paper airplane - oh, that's easy.
airplaine is avion
paper is hârtie
airplane made of paper: avion de hârtie.

wooden tongue: limbă de lemn
love song: cântec de dragoste
iron fist: pumn de fier
snow man: om de zăpadă

- Prin depărtare dragostea se uită
:wink: that's correct, too

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2004-09-01, 18:25

parousia wrote:I know to speak Romanian = I know how* to speak Romanian = [this one I'm not sure about :? ] Ştiu să vorbesc română. [??]

Maybe Kangoo just meant "I can speak Romanian"? Anyway, "I can't speak Romanian" would rather be of use to him ;)
I'd appreciate any corrections to my messages!
Vi sarò molto grato per ogni correzione!
Zelo vam bom hvaležen za popravke!
Aş fi recunoscător pentru orice corectare!
Bio bih vam veoma zahvalan na ispravkama!

duko

Postby duko » 2004-09-01, 19:57

:lol:
if that be the case, Kangoo, just put a "nu" in front of it and you make it a negation. Remember to shake your head when you say it :)

stabthecake

oh wow

Postby stabthecake » 2004-09-03, 3:21

hey everyone - i'm new.. i was looking for romanian things one time on the internet and stumbled across a link to this site. as a native romanian, i'm on the verge of happy-tears after reading how dedicated you all are. romanian really is a beautiful language and i feel so proud of my culture right now... keep up the hard work - i admire all of you.

i know this may seem like a primitive question and i feel really bad asking because i'm sure that i just didn't read something somewhere but i've seen you all writing with romanian accents and i've been wondering for a while now how to get those onto my computer so that i can write more appropriate emails to family members and post things on here with accents ... if anyone has any advice, please reply.

va multumesc mult de tot.. for just being so wonderful and making me pause for a moment and reflect on the beautiful language and culture of my people :D

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2004-09-03, 13:41

I learned that a Romanian course would start at my university in October :) Hopefully, I'll be able to participate.
I'd appreciate any corrections to my messages!
Vi sarò molto grato per ogni correzione!
Zelo vam bom hvaležen za popravke!
Aş fi recunoscător pentru orice corectare!
Bio bih vam veoma zahvalan na ispravkama!

Return to “Romanian (Română)”