[Scottish Gaelic] Language Course

Moderator:kevin

Alasdair
Re:

Postby Alasdair » 2009-07-09, 0:57

JR wrote:I'm looking for some help translating a simple phrase into Scottish Gaelic. I need the phrase "strength, love and family" into Scottish Gaelic. Can somebody help me please?!

Neart, Gaol agus Teaghlach
Strength, Love and Family.

Let me guess, a tattoo? :shock:
Tha mi fileanta sa Bheurla agus cha mhòr sa Ghàidhlig. Cuideachd, tha mi ag ionnsachadh na Breatannais. Leig fios dhomh ma nì mi mearachdan! I speak Fluent English and Gaelic. I am also learning Breton. Let me know if I make mistakes!

Eoghan

Re: Re:

Postby Eoghan » 2009-07-09, 10:14

Alasdair wrote:
JR wrote:I'm looking for some help translating a simple phrase into Scottish Gaelic. I need the phrase "strength, love and family" into Scottish Gaelic. Can somebody help me please?!

Neart, Gaol agus Teaghlach
Strength, Love and Family.

Let me guess, a tattoo? :shock:

Family is a word you cannot really translate into Gaelic ... Depending on context you can use either

teaghlach, clann, muinntir ...

Alasdair

Re: Language Course

Postby Alasdair » 2009-07-09, 12:30

Tha mi a' tuigsinn siud, ach san suidheachadh seo tha mi a' smoaineachadh gu bheil iad direach a' ciallachadh "teaghlach" - mar na daoine a tha a' fuireach comhla riutha aig an taigh.
I understand but I think they just mean it in the general sense - those that live at home with them.
Tha mi fileanta sa Bheurla agus cha mhòr sa Ghàidhlig. Cuideachd, tha mi ag ionnsachadh na Breatannais. Leig fios dhomh ma nì mi mearachdan! I speak Fluent English and Gaelic. I am also learning Breton. Let me know if I make mistakes!

John C Hendry

Postby John C Hendry » 2009-11-12, 15:54

I am just beginning to try to learn the language. Although I am starting this late in my life, I will try to at least learn the basics and gain an understanding. As one might gather, from my last name, my family originates in Scotland and I am trying to learn more about the heritage. With that, I feel it necessary to at least have a basic foundation of understanding the language.

Thank you for all of your help.

John C Hendry

Postby John C Hendry » 2009-11-13, 7:09

Hello All. I am just getting started trying to learn what I can about the Scottish Gaelic. The problem is, that I am not always able to get online, and I would be able to learn more if I had a way of learning without the requirement to get online.

Can anyone direct me to a learning platform that I can purchase that will allow me to learn without the need for being online? This would probably have to be both written and oral (CD) lessons to allow me to learn the proper way to pronounce the words that I am learning. I have the Rossetta Stone program, but unfortunately it does not have Scottish Gaelic as one of the lessons.

Thank you in advance for any assistance provided. If a reply is better sent to my email address, it is johnchendry@yahoo.com.

Regards,
John C Hendry

AlbaRules

Postby AlbaRules » 2011-01-06, 3:16

Is it too late to start the Scottish Gaelic course? If not, here is the first lessons:

Tha e teth
Tha sinn blath
Tha iad mor
Tha mi tinn
Tha thu sgith
I am in three AP classes (if there aren't any of those in England, they are college level high school courses) and self-study Latin, so I might be only able to do one lesson every 1/2 weeks.
Currently learning English (native but always learning), Gaidhlig and Lingua Latina (Scientia linguae trimus est)
Far more interested in Scottish Gaelic though as I have least experience with it. Would love to learn Welsh and Ancient Greek though will get to later.

AlbaRules

Postby AlbaRules » 2011-01-06, 3:25

John C Hendry wrote:Hello All. I am just getting started trying to learn what I can about the Scottish Gaelic. The problem is, that I am not always able to get online, and I would be able to learn more if I had a way of learning without the requirement to get online.

Can anyone direct me to a learning platform that I can purchase that will allow me to learn without the need for being online? This would probably have to be both written and oral (CD) lessons to allow me to learn the proper way to pronounce the words that I am learning. I have the Rossetta Stone program, but unfortunately it does not have Scottish Gaelic as one of the lessons.

Thank you in advance for any assistance provided. If a reply is better sent to my email address, it is johnchendry@yahoo.com.

Regards,
John C Hendry

I dunno how good it is, but I was using Byki software for Scottish Gaelic until I found this board.
Currently learning English (native but always learning), Gaidhlig and Lingua Latina (Scientia linguae trimus est)
Far more interested in Scottish Gaelic though as I have least experience with it. Would love to learn Welsh and Ancient Greek though will get to later.

Llawygath

Re: [Scottish Gaelic] Language Course

Postby Llawygath » 2013-01-29, 1:07

I know this isn't on topic, but:
Daniel wrote:Manx-Gaelic which is an extinct Celtic language
No, it isn't.

asgarnian123

Postby asgarnian123 » 2013-02-07, 20:30

Is there any way to tell whether <oi> in Scottish Gaelic is pronounced [ɔ] or [ɤ]? I'm not sure which it is in "coin" (dogs).
Native: [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]en-US[/flag] Decent: [flag=]no-nb[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginner: [flag=]no-nn[/flag] [flag=]fo[/flag] [flag=]sv[/flag]
Überneuling: [flag=]cy[/flag] [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]pt-PT[/flag] [flag=]da[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]is[/flag]
Dabbling: [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]fi[/flag] [flag=]ar-arb[/flag] [flag=]ka[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]es-ES[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag] [flag=]gd[/flag] [flag=]yi[/flag] [flag=]non[/flag]
Future (?): [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]sk[/flag] [flag=]sq[/flag] [flag=]ar-EG[/flag] [flag=]el[/flag] [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]kk[/flag] [flag=]kl[/flag] [flag=]mk[/flag] [flag=]zu[/flag] [flag=]art-sjn[/flag] [flag=]mi[/flag] [flag=]en_old[/flag] [flag=]mt[/flag] [flag=]os[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]sw[/flag] [flag=]tr[/flag] [flag=]uk[/flag] [flag=]vi[/flag] [flag=]ur[/flag] [flag=]kw[/flag] [flag=]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag=]cs[/flag] [flag=]ain[/flag] [flag=]nv[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag] [flag=]fa[/flag] [flag=]ko[/flag] [flag=]haw[/flag] [flag=]lv[/flag] [flag=]hu[/flag] [flag=]nah[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag] [flag=]wuu.Hans[/flag] [flag=]art-qya[/flag] [flag=]sa[/flag] [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]yua[/flag] [flag=]cop[/flag] [flag=]smi-sme[/flag] [flag=]et[/flag] [flag=]gv[/flag] [flag=]br[/flag] [flag=]frr[/flag] [flag=]fy[/flag] [flag=]nds[/flag]

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2013-02-08, 0:46

asgarnian123 wrote:Is there any way to tell whether <oi> in Scottish Gaelic is pronounced [ɔ] or [ɤ]? I'm not sure which it is in "coin" (dogs).

I was going to write this all out for you but then I remembered that Michael Bauer (akerbeltz) already has done that--and did a far better job at it than I could. What's more, he made it available in PDF form for free:

http://www.akerbeltz.eu/booksg.html

Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you'll see two links called An Treòir Mhòr (leis na h-eisimpleirean) & An Treòir Bheag (na riaghailtean as aonais nan eisimpleirean). The first is the comprehensive reading/pronunciation guide in his book, Blas na Gàidhlig, in PDF form. The second is the same thing, but without all the examples. I'd recommend the one with examples. Just download, unzip, open and scroll down to the section for O sounds and you'll see the rules.

And yes, for oi, it's a bit complicated. :yep:

asgarnian123

Postby asgarnian123 » 2013-02-09, 19:52

Thanks! :) That page also gives me a bunch more information that I probably would've had to ask about in the future.
Native: [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]en-US[/flag] Decent: [flag=]no-nb[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginner: [flag=]no-nn[/flag] [flag=]fo[/flag] [flag=]sv[/flag]
Überneuling: [flag=]cy[/flag] [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]pt-PT[/flag] [flag=]da[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]is[/flag]
Dabbling: [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]fi[/flag] [flag=]ar-arb[/flag] [flag=]ka[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]es-ES[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag] [flag=]gd[/flag] [flag=]yi[/flag] [flag=]non[/flag]
Future (?): [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]sk[/flag] [flag=]sq[/flag] [flag=]ar-EG[/flag] [flag=]el[/flag] [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]kk[/flag] [flag=]kl[/flag] [flag=]mk[/flag] [flag=]zu[/flag] [flag=]art-sjn[/flag] [flag=]mi[/flag] [flag=]en_old[/flag] [flag=]mt[/flag] [flag=]os[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]sw[/flag] [flag=]tr[/flag] [flag=]uk[/flag] [flag=]vi[/flag] [flag=]ur[/flag] [flag=]kw[/flag] [flag=]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag=]cs[/flag] [flag=]ain[/flag] [flag=]nv[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag] [flag=]fa[/flag] [flag=]ko[/flag] [flag=]haw[/flag] [flag=]lv[/flag] [flag=]hu[/flag] [flag=]nah[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag] [flag=]wuu.Hans[/flag] [flag=]art-qya[/flag] [flag=]sa[/flag] [flag=]lt[/flag] [flag=]yua[/flag] [flag=]cop[/flag] [flag=]smi-sme[/flag] [flag=]et[/flag] [flag=]gv[/flag] [flag=]br[/flag] [flag=]frr[/flag] [flag=]fy[/flag] [flag=]nds[/flag]

lancasteruk

Postby lancasteruk » 2013-03-24, 23:48

Does anyone have any idea what's happened to this thread? All of the earlier pages with the actuall language course seem to be missing.
Native: [flag]en[/flag] Can speak: [flag]de[/flag] Getting there: [flag]gd[/flag] [flag]it[/flag]

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-04-21, 17:15

lancasteruk wrote:Does anyone have any idea what's happened to this thread? All of the earlier pages with the actuall language course seem to be missing.

Cha an e`ol domh. Tha e marbh. Ach domh tha na linkan math! :)

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-06-03, 7:30

Small Gàidhlig question for you guys: I'm working my way through the old TY course and I just came across this - Tha an duine anns a' mhonadh leis a' chù. My question is, if this was "The man is on the moor with his dog" (leis a chù) rather than "with the dog" would the only difference be in the spelling of "a" (with and without an apostrophe)?

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2013-06-03, 15:47

Ciarán12 wrote:Small Gàidhlig question for you guys: I'm working my way through the old TY course and I just came across this - Tha an duine anns a' mhonadh leis a' chù. My question is, if this was "The man is on the moor with his dog" (leis a chù) rather than "with the dog" would the only difference be in the spelling of "a" (with and without an apostrophe)?

ceid donn probably knows better than I do, but AFAIK you wouldn't use the definite form of the preposition in this case — you'd either get le a chù or le chù (the latter actually turns up more Google results for me). likewise, it'd be le athair rather than leis athair for "with his father".
agus tha mo chluasan eòlach air a’ mhac-talla fhathast / às dèidh dhomh dùsgadh
(mona nicleòid wagner, “fo shneachd”)

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2013-06-03, 16:04

Sectori wrote:ceid donn probably knows better than I do, but AFAIK you wouldn't use the definite form of the preposition in this case — you'd either get le a chù or le chù (the latter actually turns up more Google results for me). likewise, it'd be le athair rather than leis athair for "with his father".

So you're saying it would be "leis a' chù" for "with the dog" and "le a chù" for "with his dog" then?

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2013-06-03, 23:45

Ciarán12 wrote:
Sectori wrote:ceid donn probably knows better than I do, but AFAIK you wouldn't use the definite form of the preposition in this case — you'd either get le a chù or le chù (the latter actually turns up more Google results for me). likewise, it'd be le athair rather than leis athair for "with his father".

So you're saying it would be "leis a' chù" for "with the dog" and "le a chù" for "with his dog" then?

sin e, yep.

Lewis91

Postby Lewis91 » 2013-06-05, 23:21

Sin e dìreach a Shectori; leis a' chù = with the dog, le a chù = with his dog, le an cù = with their dog etc.

'S caomh/toigh leis a' chù... = The dog likes...
'S caomh/toigh le a chù... = His dog likes...

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-04-19, 7:11

Has this become the [Scottish Gaelic] Discussion Group now?

If so, how do you know when to reduce <Ch> sounds? Like, is the dh in bliadhna reduced to produce [blʲa(ː?)na]?

Sectori

Postby Sectori » 2015-05-03, 12:38

it's pretty much become nothing now, since afaik I'm the only person with Gaelic who still checks the forum occasionally.

for starters, ch never reduces, only dh/gh. it's about position: broad dh/gh "reduces" (this changes vowel quality and sometimes quantity, but the specifics of that vary by dialect) between a vowel and a consonant (e.g., adhbhar reason, bliadhna year, and I can't actually think of any examples of broad gh in this position, although there are undoubtedly one or two around).

between vowels, broad dh/gh sometimes indicates a hiatus (adha liver, bodhar deaf, e.g.), but also some dialects pronounce words like adha as monosyllables ([a.a] vs. [a:], exact vowel quality varying).

also, it's ["bl(_j)iana], not *["bl_jana], and also the vowels aren't actually [a], but I've never been good at vowel transcriptions and the actual realization varies by dialect anyway. generally speaking, orthographic i is always prononced if it's the first vowel in a series.

Return to “Celtic Languages”