kauai chiefs to change to original name of island: Atooi

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Boki
kauai chiefs to change to original name of island: Atooi

Postby Boki » 2008-07-05, 4:43

Out of a basement office in ‘Ele‘ele, Dayne Aleka Nakaahiki Kane Kanakaoli Poikauahi Aipoalani is organizing a movement to reclaim the known islands of Kaua‘i and Ni‘ihau and “all existing mineral, water, oil and liquid rights” from the state and the federal government.

Aipoalani claims that nearly 3,000 people, by word of mouth, have rallied to support his efforts in “righting the wrongs perpetrated by the federal government on the people of ‘Atooi’ (currently known as Kaua‘i and Ni‘ihau) after the forced surrender of Queen Lili‘uokalani in 1893,” Aipoalani said.

as a descendent of the kingdom of Atooi to all you niihau language haters and traitors, I'm not the only one trying to get back the pre-European Hawaiian language.

http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2007 ... news01.txt

to new zealanders who have no business commenting about hawaiian language: Haere mai, haere mai, haere ki uta hei patu-patu ake

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-05, 10:22

to new zealanders who have no business commenting about hawaiian language: Haere mai, haere mai, haere ki uta hei patu-patu ake

Hei pokotiwha!

He aha te take e kitea ana koe i konei?

Aue aue, kua hoki mai koe!
Aue aue, kua hoki mai koe!
Titiro ki runga
Titiro ki raro
Aue! Te haunga e! Te haunga e!
Rakuraku ana i te raho e,
No whea tenei kutu e? tenei kutu e!
Ngana e, Ngana e,
Wawara mai! Wawara mai!
Hikoikoi ana koe e me he wahine e,
Poka poka! Poka poka!

I'm no New Zealander. I'm a co-moderator now and I will not hesitate in getting rid of your hatred from here. You have been warned. Now silence.

I don't hate the Niihauan language I just dislike it when people can't spell using the spelling that native speakers of Niihauan use themselves like in Aloha Niihau.

Or are you going to call those Niihauans involved traitors to the Niihauan language and people?
Linguicide IS genocide. :)

He ingoa ōpaki a Riki; he ingoa ōkawa a Ariki.

Riki is an informal name; Ariki is a formal name.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-07, 9:38

I too am of supreme lord descent.

I haven't persecuted either of you. I am making it clear that there is to be no hate promoted in this forum something that Boki is clearly doing.

I don't really care if you spell the language with ts and rs but trying to pass off mispelt words as being Polynesian will always get a sharp quick reaction from me.

I speak Māori languages. Rarotongan, Tongarevan, Tahitian and New Zealand Western Māori. I can read and understand Mōriori, Manihikian Māori and Tuamotuan Māori as well. I virtually understand nearly all of the Tahitian-Māori languages.

I know the sound of the language and what is and isn't possible. I'm not one to be challenged.

'Oia'i'o Hawaiian

Postby 'Oia'i'o Hawaiian » 2008-07-18, 11:25

The correct name of "Kauai" is Atooi. It is documented proof. Kauai is a misnomer attributable to the death of the Hawaiian language outside of Ni'ihau. Ni'ihauans and Atooi speakers still refer to the island name as Atooi.

Ariki

Postby Ariki » 2008-07-20, 22:40

The correct name of "Kauai" is Kaua'i. It is documented proof. Kauai and Atooi are misnomers attributable to the death of the Hawaiian language outside of Ni'ihau. Ni'ihauans and Kaua'i speakers still refer to the island name as Kaua'i/Taua'i.

Nohola

Re:

Postby Nohola » 2008-09-16, 19:38

riki wrote:I too am of supreme lord descent.

Aloha mai e kuu hoahanau no Aotearoa! Notice how whatt you wrote, you wrote "descent" vs. the wannabe "Alii" who flat out wrote that he was one? :D He certainly is no alii and the people of Niihau in my own experience, are very, very religious people and wouldn't say that they are "alii".

I find it ironic that these people are professing a change in a foreign system (writing/spelling) as a means to preserve what they should already be pronouncing anyway. I certainly don't allow letters dictate how I should pronounce a word. Hell, I don't even do that with English having a hard time pronouncing the "th" sound in many of the English words having grown up in the islands. Unfortunately these 2 and now 3 clowns are trying to humiliate the rest of us in order to justify why they should have some type of orthographical change. It's ridiculous. Either you speak the language, or you don't. That would be like people arguing today why we should write nayt vs. night.
He manao oiwi!

E hoi e pee i ke opu weuweu me he moho la. E ao o hai ka pua o ka mauu ia oe

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”