Persian films and TV series

Moderator:eskandar

alijsh
Persian films and TV series

Postby alijsh » 2007-05-17, 15:22

Do you watch Persian films?
Do you think it's useful for learning Persian?
What films do you have watched?
Which ones do you like?
What has been the last film you have watched?
Are you interested in any particular actor/actress?
Last edited by alijsh on 2007-06-17, 6:07, edited 2 times in total.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-05-17, 17:48

Persian films are quite the sensation here. :yep: There are three theatres in my area - one is about 15 minutes away, another an hour and a half, and the last two hours away - which set aside one spot for one Persian movie at a time. The theatres alloted for Persian movies are usually pretty empty unfortunately, unless someone happens to be celebrating some event or another. :) I've found films useful for learning idioms and proverbs, for the most part. I would say that my favourite Persian films have been from recent times - I thought Atash Bas and Mehman (not to be confused with Mehman-e maman) were particularly spectacular. Atash Bas was a film about a feuding couple who wanted a divorce and seperated (I won't spoil the rest of it, for those who haven't seen it), while Mehman was a hilarious comedy about an Iranian-American who went to Tehran alone (no spoiler here either ;) ). Mehman was the last film that I saw - I actually went to see it on three different occasions. :lol: A lot of the humour focused on the clashing of American and Persian cultures - which made it quite an entertaining smash hit here. I'd be surprised if the film were allowed in Iran though - there was some off-colour humour in the film even touching issues like homosexuality...
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

peterlin

Postby peterlin » 2007-05-17, 19:00

Sisyphe wrote:while Mehman was a hilarious comedy about an Iranian-American who went to Tehran alone (no spoiler here either ;) ). Mehman was the last film that I saw - I actually went to see it on three different occasions. :lol: A lot of the humour focused on the clashing of American and Persian cultures - which made it quite an entertaining smash hit here. I'd be surprised if the film were allowed in Iran though - there was some off-colour humour in the film even touching issues like homosexuality...

Be surprised, then. It was screened in Tehran movie theatres a month ago. My wife wanted to see it, but we didn't manage, because of all the hassle related to coming back to Poland.

We did see the no.1 blockbuster - Ekhrajiha (The Outcasts), though. Really funny and offers an interesting approach to Iraq-Iran war issues.
Last edited by peterlin on 2007-05-17, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-05-17, 19:03

How interesting! I saw both Mehmân and Atashbas last week. Mehmân was interesting. Another film I saw was "Ezdevâj be sabke Irâni". Have you seen it? It's about an American who falls in love with an Iranian girl... It was nice.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-05-17, 20:49

Oh wow! I definitely am surprised. :lol: The humour wasn't that off-colour, I just didn't think it would go over as well in Iran as it did here - maybe it was censored though, I don't know. Unfortunately though, I haven't seen that film at any theatres here, no. :( I'll be sure to see both films though if they are at any of the theatres here in the future. I'll have to check Jâm-e Jam TV...their commercials have all of the times and dates for of the Persian movies here. Ekhrâjihâ particularly sounds interesting btw.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-05-18, 4:10

I think the scene you think it was censored in Mehmân was where Sharifinia (the owner of Hotel) covers his eyes and plays hide-and-seek with the American girl (Caroline). Am I right?

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-05-18, 4:50

Iranian films are particularly hard to find here (I believe there are only two or three to be found at the video shop I go to, and I have never seen one at the cinema). The only one I’ve had the opportunity to watch was one I even mentioned in a couple of threads last year: «[r]دو فرشته[/r]»‎ (2003, directed by Mamad Haghighat).
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-05-18, 5:34

alijsh wrote:I think the scene you think it was censored in Mehmân was where Sharifinia (the owner of Hotel) covers his eyes and plays hide-and-seek with the American girl (Caroline). Am I right?

Well judging by what you know, I'm thinking it wasn't. :lol:

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-05-18, 7:58

Psi-Lord wrote:Iranian films are particularly hard to find here (I believe there are only two or three to be found at the video shop I go to, and I have never seen one at the cinema). The only one I’ve had the opportunity to watch was one I even mentioned in a couple of threads last year: «[r]دو فرشته[/r]»‎ (2003, directed by Mamad Haghighat).

I had already introduced this site where you can download Iranian films. The only thing you need is a high-speed internt connection that I'm sure you have it. In the list you can find Mehmân. I have taken تقاطع from my friend but I haven't seen it yet. You can also find it there.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-06-17, 6:12

I renamed the topic to include TV series as well. I didn't think people may be interested in TV series :)

http://www.iranproud.com - a source for downloading Persian TV series as well as films. here you can download TV series.

@peterlin. If you're interested in Esfahâni dialect, in these series characters speak in this dialect 1, 2

poppy

Postby poppy » 2007-07-27, 14:11

Apparently the Korean series "dae jang geum" has been dubbed into Persian and shown in Iran. In East Asia it's the most sucessful drama of all time, definitely recommmended.

http://www.bia2music.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=56

I speak some Korean so at first I felt really confused watching it, I can see the words the Korean actors are saying by the shape of their mouths but was hearing Persian and got my wires crossed :lol:

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-07-29, 5:24

poppy wrote:Apparently the Korean series "dae jang geum" has been dubbed into Persian and shown in Iran. In East Asia it's the most sucessful drama of all time, definitely recommmended.

Yes, javâheri dar qasr (a jewel in the palace; originally: Yângom-e bozorg) is shown on Fridays. Last Friday we saw part 39. It's a very beautiful series and quite popular. Frankly, it's the only time I ever watch TV.

poppy

Postby poppy » 2007-08-16, 23:26

alijsh wrote:
poppy wrote:Apparently the Korean series "dae jang geum" has been dubbed into Persian and shown in Iran. In East Asia it's the most sucessful drama of all time, definitely recommmended.

Yes, javâheri dar qasr (a jewel in the palace; originally: Yângom-e bozorg) is shown on Fridays. Last Friday we saw part 39. It's a very beautiful series and quite popular. Frankly, it's the only time I ever watch TV.

I love this series too! actually I love Korean films and culture. there are some really great films. If anyone is interested, there are English subs available and I could check whether they fit with the version I link to.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-08-17, 14:54

poppy wrote:I love this series too! actually I love Korean films and culture. there are some really great films. If anyone is interested, there are English subs available and I could check whether they fit with the version I link to.

Channel 3 is showing another Korean series. Its name is Emperâturi-ye Daryâ. Have you seen it? It's also beautiful and has convinced me to spend (waste :D) my time on TV. Last Tuesday we saw part 4.

Korean is a category-III language for English speakers (Just like Arabic, Japanese, etc. Persian is category-II. see here). How good is your Korean? Can you understand much of Korean films and series without subs (we say zirnevis)?

poppy

Postby poppy » 2007-08-23, 20:51

alijsh wrote:Channel 3 is showing another Korean series. Its name is Emperâturi-ye Daryâ. Have you seen it? It's also beautiful and has convinced me to spend (waste :D) my time on TV. Last Tuesday we saw part 4.

I haven't seen that one (English title "Emporer of the Sea") yet. Be careful not to get addicted
:D I waste time on those dramas and films when I never used to watch any! Are Korean films available in Iran? And are there any Korean restarants?

alijsh wrote: How good is your Korean? Can you understand much of Korean films and series without subs (we say zirnevis)?

I can understand a fair amount but I definitely need subs. Korean dramas are available with English subs. You might already know but the Korean writing system is totally logical and easy to learn. It can be learnt in a couple of hours, and there's some courses available for free online.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2007-08-25, 4:58

poppy wrote:I haven't seen that one (English title "Emporer of the Sea") yet. Be careful not to get addicted
:D I waste time on those dramas and films when I never used to watch any! Are Korean films available in Iran? And are there any Korean restarants?

My mistake. Yes, its name is Emperâtur-e Daryâ. Thanks for your advice.

I don't know about existence of Korean films in Iran. There should be but Iranian youth usually watch Western (not Eastern) films especially those of USA.

As for restaurant, I think there are Korean restaurants but I have never been to such restaurants. East-Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) cuisine is far from my taste.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2008-01-26, 3:34

Anyone seen Santouri? I want to know if it's worth going to see or not.

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2008-01-26, 5:00

No, I haven't. Here you can read a summary of the story in Persian. I hope it can help you in making your decision: to see or not to see... :wink:

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2008-01-26, 6:51

Awesome! Thanks Ali. ;)

Shannenms

Postby Shannenms » 2008-01-26, 23:22

Has anybody seen the latest Niki Karimi's film? I think it is Star 2
I also heard that it was banned by the government. :cry:

The movies I have seen recently:1-Gole yakh 2-Gis boride

I suggest you all to see a film which I think neither of you have seen or even heard its name, and to me it's the greatest and the most realistic film about Iran:"The city walls".

Sorry, Alijsh, you can't find it here but I guess Sisyphe can.

If you want more information on that let me know.
نه عجب گر فرو رود نفسش.... عندلیبی غراب همقفسش

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”