[Scottish Gaelic] Language Course

Moderator:kevin

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-02-04, 8:53

ego wrote:I think I need some explanation on the use and formation of tenses because my book won't explain them. Could you give me a table of Gaelic tenses and their formation (regular verbs only).

Ever checked http://www.taic.btinternet.co.uk/taic.htm? The lessons and appendices on the tenses might be interesting for you to read. :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

ego

Postby ego » 2007-02-04, 9:25

Psi-Lord wrote:
ego wrote:I think I need some explanation on the use and formation of tenses because my book won't explain them. Could you give me a table of Gaelic tenses and their formation (regular verbs only).

Ever checked http://www.taic.btinternet.co.uk/taic.htm? The lessons and appendices on the tenses might be interesting for you to read. :)

WOW! Thanks, that's a great site. If I knew it I wouldn't buy that silly book! Audio files too at last!! :burning: Pitty I am leaving for Cyprus tomorrow. But I'll visit an internet cafe in Nicosia as soon as possible and print the most important lessons :D .

Now there is only one question in my mind: Are there patterns how to form infinitives, verbal nouns, roots etc. or should I memorize them for each verb?

Btw can someone recommend a good but not too big English-Gaelic-English dictionary?

Tapadh leibh!

OCCASVS

Postby OCCASVS » 2007-02-04, 10:31

Psi-Lord wrote:Ever checked http://www.taic.btinternet.co.uk/taic.htm?

Is the speaker of these audio file a native Gaelic speaker?

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2007-02-04, 13:37

ego wrote:My book writes "tha urrainn dhomh". Why did you correct it? :cry:

Because it's wrong. It's definitely "is urrainn...", no "tha" there at all.

Also I've been taught expressions like "Nach mi a tha gòrach!" so I guessed it would be "nach a' Ghàidhlig a tha brèagha!". Why did you add "eil" after nach?

Well, because your sentence just didn't make sense to me :) To use a similar structure like "nach mi tha gòrach" you could say "nach brèagha a tha a' Ghàidhlig". It's different anyway with nouns and personal pronouns, it's not completely the same pattern.

Thanks for your explanations about the stem/noun system. It seems quite clear. So "I want to buy apples" is litterally "I want the apples' buying" in Gaelic?

You can't translate it exactly literally, but as I wrote above it is something like "Is me at wanting the apples to buying". It does not make sense in English, I know, but you just have to get used to the Gaelic structures... don't do too much at once, step by step!

Another question now, is when do I use the verbal noun and when the stem? I think I need some explanation on the use and formation of tenses because my book won't explain them. Could you give me a table of Gaelic tenses and their formation (regular verbs only).

TAIC is really a great site, but again I'd suggest to go step by step, and *not* to start looking at the whole table of tenses! The most important thing (with every language) is to look at one structure and then practice it until you are really certain about it, then take the next one and practice again etc. :)
Listening and speaking is very important because it makes you remember patterns and structures and idiomatic expressions much better.
So, instead of printing out random lessons of TAIC, you should really go step by step, one lesson at a time, listen to all the stuff, repeat it, do all the exercises, etc.

A useful dictionary for a beginner would be the "Teach yourself Gaelic" dictionary by Iain Taylor and Boyd Robertson - do not confuse it with the learners' textbook of the same title. It has both directions, Gaelic -> English and English > Gaelic and covers all the vocabulary (with grammatical info) you need for a start.

And yes, there are certain patterns how to form the verbal nouns from verb stems, but for a start it's best to learn them with each verb and to practice them a lot :)

And yes, TAIC is done by a native speaker. Another good site for the sounds of Gaelic is http://www.akerbeltz.org which is done by a non-native speaker, but he has better Gaelic than lots of native speakers ;)
M
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2007-02-04, 13:44

PS: If some people are interested, we could start a study group based on the TAIC lessons... like, doing a lesson every week and I could give you additional material here, because in a way the TAIC lessons are rather boring and technical, no dialogues and everyday phrases. They are excellent for grammar drill, but you do need some more stuff to enhance your learning.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/alba/fogh ... air_bheag/ is a good addition, and I suggest looking at the "communication resources" thread as well :)
M

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-02-04, 13:47

Good idea, i'm interested. :wink:

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2007-02-04, 13:51

What about your Greenlandic? ;) We'll see... You're all very welcome in the Gaelic chatroom mentioned in the resources thread, too :D

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-02-04, 13:56

Well, i study old norse, greenlandic, and a bit manx gaelic (gaelg) nowadays. And i think i can have a look at gaidhlic. :wink: Do you mind if i study? :roll: :lol:

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2007-02-04, 14:04

Well, I don't mind :lol: You will probably be a bit confused with Manx and Scottish Gaelic, because Manx Gaelic has this weird spelling, or well, from a Manx perspective Scottish Gaelic has this weird spelling 8)

Anyway, I'm going to start the study group tomorrow I think, and I'll write some general info about it later today, but I'm going for a nice walk in the sun now :D

ego

Postby ego » 2007-02-05, 17:01

I'm in too but I don't know how often I'll have internet access from now on. I will tell you when I know. Right now I am in an internet cafe inside a military camp! I would never expect to find it here.

OCCASVS

Postby OCCASVS » 2007-02-05, 17:50

ego wrote:I'm in too

So am I :)
But I will post in the lesson thread later.
Today I've listened to all the files and read everything, but I should repeat everything, otherwise I won't remember anything.

ego

Postby ego » 2007-02-18, 10:41

Ι have no time unfortunatelly. I didn't expect army to be so demanding. All language activities must be postponed for at least 2 months :(

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » 2007-04-08, 17:12

When people say if you learn Gaelic and Irish at the same time, it will confuse you.

I don't care, I still learn Gaelic anyway.

Tha Gàidhlig gu math agam! 8)

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2007-04-09, 18:25

A bheil thu cinnteach? ^^

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » 2007-04-09, 19:03

nighean-neonach wrote:A bheil thu cinnteach? ^^

Táim cinnte!

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2007-04-09, 19:11

Benjamin wrote:
nighean-neonach wrote:A bheil thu cinnteach? ^^

Táim cinnte!

Chan eil mi!

I would guess:
'tha Gàidhlig mhath agam' :?:
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2007-04-10, 12:47

...and then, most people wouldn't say it like that. I'd probably say: "Tha mo chuid Ghàidhlig math / ceart gu leòr" etc.

Agus cha chanainn-sa idir gu bheil mi math air cànan air choireigin mura bhithinn ga bhruidhinn gu tric - dha-rìribh, chan ann air an eadar-lìon a-mhàin ;)

JR

Postby JR » 2007-07-26, 22:44

I'm looking for some help translating a simple phrase into Scottish Gaelic. I need the phrase "strength, love and family" into Scottish Gaelic. Can somebody help me please?!

Bjarn

Postby Bjarn » 2007-11-16, 3:47

Daniel wrote:DelBoy is right there, it is "Tha Gàidhlig mhath agam", since "Gàidhlig" is feminine. :wink:

What word would you use for a masculine noun? :oops:
And is it just me, or have I seen someone ask about a translation for that phrase already?
Språk är en tråd genom tidens flod...
Bruidhinn rium sa' Ghàidhlig!
Un homme qui parle trois langues est trilingue.
Un homme qui parle deux langues est bilingue.
Un homme qui ne parle qu'une langue est anglais.

neoni

Postby neoni » 2007-11-16, 16:03

Bjarn wrote:
Daniel wrote:DelBoy is right there, it is "Tha Gàidhlig mhath agam", since "Gàidhlig" is feminine. :wink:

What word would you use for a masculine noun? :oops:
And is it just me, or have I seen someone ask about a translation for that phrase already?

"Tha càr math agam"

cuir h ann, nuair a tha am facal boireanta (uaireanan..)
when the noun is feminine you lenite it

Return to “Celtic Languages”