Moderator:JackFrost

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: the person after me game

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-10, 17:09

:shock: No...? :lol:
linguoboy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me would want to be resisting a little more.

You really don't have an issue with "would want to", Vijay? To me it sounds like straight-up Furrinerese; I need to replace "want" with "like" or change the whole thing to "TPAM wants to be..."

I have no idea, tbh. At this point in the game, I'm having enough trouble making sense of what everyone's saying about the person after them. :lol: Also, I wasn't entirely sure what the context of that sentence was supposed to be or even whether there was supposed to be one, and in some contexts, I wouldn't have an issue with "would want to" at all. :hmm: For instance, I just googled that phrase and saw this quote:
Thayer added that Planned Parenthood “is definitely not someplace that I would want to see my daughters go.”

The person after me is trying to form an incredibly convoluted sentence to describe the person after them. ;)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-11, 13:37

I don't need to, they come to my mind easily as pie.

The person after me's pies are actually hard to produce.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-12, 8:34

linguoboy wrote:
Osias wrote:The island of the person after me is always on their mind.

If you mean to say that the person after me owns an island which is always all their mind, then it would have to be "The person after me's island..." to sound idiomatic to me (or be a different sort of modifying phrase, e.g. "the island belonging to the person after me"). Saying "the island of the person after me" makes it sound like the TPAM is equivalent to an island in some way or other. (Cf. "Fool of a Took!")

What about something like "the island of John" to mean "John's island"? I grant that "the island of the person after me" sounds a bit convoluted because of the nominal phrase "the person after me". But that's how I understood Osias's phrase: the person after me has an island and it's always on their mind.

vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
france-eesti wrote:The person after me would want to be resisting a little more.

You really don't have an issue with "would want to", Vijay? To me it sounds like straight-up Furrinerese; I need to replace "want" with "like" or change the whole thing to "TPAM wants to be..."

I have no idea, tbh. At this point in the game, I'm having enough trouble making sense of what everyone's saying about the person after them. :lol: Also, I wasn't entirely sure what the context of that sentence was supposed to be or even whether there was supposed to be one, and in some contexts, I wouldn't have an issue with "would want to" at all. :hmm: For instance, I just googled that phrase and saw this quote:
Thayer added that Planned Parenthood “is definitely not someplace that I would want to see my daughters go.”

Yeah I concur with Vijay; "would want to be" works for me as a phrase. I think the part of france-eesti's sentence I had trouble understanding was "resisting a little more". In order for her sentence to make sense, for me, I would add "...a little more the next time they are seduced".

Also, I'm having the same trouble making sense of what everyone's saying! :D

Osias wrote:I don't need to, they come to my mind as easily as pie.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-12, 17:01

I'm happy to make English natives fight each other over me.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-12, 19:59

dEhiN wrote:Yeah I concur with Vijay; "would want to be" works for me as a phrase. I think the part of france-eesti's sentence I had trouble understanding was "resisting a little more". In order for her sentence to make sense, for me, I would add "...a little more the next time they are seduced".

Wow? Why did you assume she was talking about seduction? I reflexively interpreted that politically.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-12, 23:31

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Yeah I concur with Vijay; "would want to be" works for me as a phrase. I think the part of france-eesti's sentence I had trouble understanding was "resisting a little more". In order for her sentence to make sense, for me, I would add "...a little more the next time they are seduced".

Wow? Why did you assume she was talking about seduction? I reflexively interpreted that politically.

Because I did? I could ask you the same: why did you assume she was talking about politics? Without her giving more context, we each assumed based on our own experiences and/or whatever was on our minds at that moment, or whatever has been on our minds as of late.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-03-13, 2:22

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:I don't need to, they come to my mind as easily as pie.
That or "they come to my mind (as) easy as pie."

dEhiN wrote:The person after me's pies are actually hard to produce.
No, not at all. In fact, making them is a piece of cake.

The person after me lives in a place that started Daylight Saving Time today but forgot to reset their alarm clock and overslept.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-13, 3:42

dEhiN wrote:Because I did? I could ask you the same: why did you assume she was talking about politics?

I didn't. I said I reflexively interpreted it that way. But since I realise she is not me, I made no assumptions about what she was referencing. That's why--unlike you--I had no issues with how the sentence was phrased. (I'm really surprised you can't see what you did here: Leapt to conclusions as to the speaker's intent and then judged the sentence inadequate for not reflecting the intent you alone ascribed to it.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-13, 13:14

Dormouse559 wrote:The person after me lives in a place that started Daylight Saving Time today but forgot to reset their alarm clock and overslept.

Here that ended a couple of weeks ago, but we're still facing hot times. I'm expecting the proverbial waters from March to close summer.

The planet the person after me lives has 7 seasons due its complex orbit.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-13, 13:59

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Because I did? I could ask you the same: why did you assume she was talking about politics?

I didn't. I said I reflexively interpreted it that way. But since I realise she is not me, I made no assumptions about what she was referencing. That's why--unlike you--I had no issues with how the sentence was phrased. (I'm really surprised you can't see what you did here: Leapt to conclusions as to the speaker's intent and then judged the sentence inadequate for not reflecting the intent you alone ascribed to it.)

I never judged her sentence nor did I make assumptions about what she was referencing. I also had no issues with how the sentence was phrased, nor did I leap to conclusions about her intent. All I did was concur with Vijay that her phrasing was ok for me (and which, for you, was a bit odd) but that I had trouble understanding her intent, due to lack of context. If you remember, I said "in order for her sentence to make sense, for me". Implying, this is what I would do. I offered her no correction, nor judgement nor direct reflection on what she wrote.

Osias wrote:The planet the person after me lives has 7 seasons due its complex orbit.

I've almost always heard the phrasal verb "lives on" for things like planets, and that's what I'd use. I'm not sure though about other English dialects.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-03-13, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-03-13, 21:26

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:The planet the person after me lives has 7 seasons due its complex orbit.

I've almost always heard the phrasal verb "lives on" for things like planets, and that's what I'd use. I'm not sure though about other English dialects.

Live is almost always intransitive in English. The only transitive uses I know of are (1) with a cognate object (e.g. "live a troubled life") or (2) with an abstract noun where the meaning is "live in accordance with a particular set of principles" (e.g. "live a lie", "live the Qur'an"). In locative use, a preposition is required. (If you want to use a transitive verb here, try inhabit.)

Where I live has only four seasons. We might have seven changes of season in a single day, however.

The person after me doesn't trust the sun when it's dark.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-03-23, 17:10

Who does?

What kind of pizza would the person after me eat right now?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-23, 17:34

Hawaiian since that's my newest language (and I love Hawaiian pizza)!

The person after me is able to make pizza from scratch.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-03-23, 17:44

Actually that's my menu for tonight :D

The person after me won't eat a pizza without pinapple on it
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-23, 21:18

I'm orthodox for pizzas, I even despise who puts ketchup on them.

I'm despised by the person after me.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-24, 23:35

Osias wrote:I'm orthodox for pizzas, I even despise who puts ketchup on them.

I've only ever heard and used the phrase "I'm orthodox when it comes to", although that could be a Toronto/Canadian thing. There's no real grammatical reason "for" can't replace "when it comes to". However it does sound grammatically off (at least to me) to say "despise who"; I would use "despise those who" or "despise whoever".

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-24, 23:41

Ok, I pity da fool that puts ketchup on pizzas.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-03-28, 18:50

Osias wrote:I'm despised by the person after me.

picking up after you...
I don't despise anyone and I won't start with you! :D

The person after me is happy there aren't 2 verbs for "to be" in English (just like "ser" & "estar")

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-03-28, 20:09

It wouldn't be a problem for me :whistle:

The person after me is grateful that in his/her mothertongue don't exist 16 different grammatical cases such as they exist in Finnish

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-03-28, 20:42

My mothertongue doesn't, indeed, but Hungarian, that I'm learning, has 21 cases :)
And you know what, that's not EVEN the hardest part of it! :D

The person after me hates time shifting.

Return to “English”