TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2017 dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-19, 7:13

vijayjohn wrote:All I understood from what you were saying in your response to me is that although you just started Hawaiian, it's not one of your top-priority languages. :P

Do you mean to tell me I wrote too much for you to follow me? Or that my logic is convoluted and you finally had enough of it? :P :D

Yeah, it's not one of my top-priority languages ... for now. The rest of my response were ramblings on how I might change my TAC in the future from doing 4 languages to just picking a language learning resource I already have (like Living Language Hindi) and going through it, regardless of what language it is.

vijayjohn wrote:I was thinking just today that maybe someday, I should start a TPAM game in Tamil if nobody else does first. I wonder how you'd say "the person after me" in Tamil. என் பிறைகிலுள்ளவர்?

I'm not sure. I'll confirm with my uncle in SL whose Tamil is really good. As for starting a TPAM game, you could certainly do so, though at this point it would be you and any native Tamil speakers who exist on the South Asian Languages forum. If you're ok with waiting until the end of the year, then hopefully by then I'll be able to participate.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-19, 11:05

vijayjohn wrote:I was thinking just today that maybe someday, I should start a TPAM game in Tamil if nobody else does first. I wonder how you'd say "the person after me" in Tamil. என் பிறைகிலுள்ளவர்?

So my uncle said that எனக்குப் பின வருபவர் would mean "the one who comes after me". I suppose you could use that.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-19, 12:08

dEhiN wrote:Do you mean to tell me I wrote too much for you to follow me? Or that my logic is convoluted and you finally had enough of it? :P :D

Neither! I'm not trying to tell you there was necessarily something wrong with what you said, only that I personally got a little confused about what you meant. ;)
Yeah, it's not one of my top-priority languages ... for now. The rest of my response were ramblings on how I might change my TAC in the future from doing 4 languages to just picking a language learning resource I already have (like Living Language Hindi) and going through it, regardless of what language it is.

OK, thanks! :)
So my uncle said that எனக்குப் பின வருபவர் would mean "the one who comes after me". I suppose you could use that.

Thanks for asking him! See, I never would have guessed that because I had no idea either பின or வருபவர் was a word in Tamil. :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-19, 12:40

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:So my uncle said that எனக்குப் பின வருபவர் would mean "the one who comes after me". I suppose you could use that.

Thanks for asking him! See, I never would have guessed that because I had no idea either பின or வருபவர் was a word in Tamil. :lol:

Omg I think I screwed that up, and he didn't even notice! He responded to me in romanised Tamil, and I attempted to write it in Tamil script. Here are the 3 options he gave:
enakkup pinne irukkiravar
or enakkup pinnullavar
or even enakkup pin varubavar
meaning the one who comes after me

I was trying to write the last one in Tamil, but just realized that I wrote pina. So I guess it's better to write it as எனக்கு பின் வருபவர். Although I don't know enough Tamil to tell you the differences between "pinne irrikiravar", "pinnullavar", and "pin varubavar".

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-20, 12:01

dEhiN wrote:Although I don't know enough Tamil to tell you the differences between "pinne irrikiravar", "pinnullavar", and "pin varubavar".

But I know enough Malayalam to tell you the differences. :D I guess my best attempt at a literal translation would be "the one who is later," "the one who is there later," and "the one who comes later."

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-20, 20:32

Anki for March 20:

[flag=]fr[/flag] se sentir to feel
[flag=]fr[/flag] exact/exacte/exacts/exactes true; exact; correct [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]fr[/flag] où? where?
[flag=]fr[/flag] l'ordinateur portable laptop
[flag=]fr[/flag] c'est he/she/it/this is

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] agosto August
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a noite night
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] ter to have

[flag=]sv[/flag] här here
[flag=]sv[/flag] ett äktenskap -- äktenskapet marriage

I was struggling to do Anki; feeling overwhelmed by 20 new words, so I scaled it down to 10.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-20, 20:35

dEhiN wrote:I was struggling to do Anki; feeling overwhelmed by 20 new words, so I scaled it down to 10.

That's how I was starting to get, back when I made a comment on Anki. I scaled down too.

Of course that's not all my problem is.....I don't do it daily. :P But add in 20 new cards and 20 reviews and it can get overwhelming. And that was for one language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-20, 20:41

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:I was struggling to do Anki; feeling overwhelmed by 20 new words, so I scaled it down to 10.

That's how I was starting to get, back when I made a comment on Anki. I scaled down too.

Of course that's not all my problem is.....I don't do it daily. :P But add in 20 new cards and 20 reviews and it can get overwhelming. And that was for one language.

Yeah it can! I have one deck for all my languages (well...I now have 2 decks - one for the 4 languages I'm studying, and one for all the others which are suspended), so when I'm doing 20 new cards plus learning plus reviews, it can easily get up to 100 or more. I have it set up so each new card is in learning for 4 days. My steps are 10 120 1440 2880. I used to also have 4320 as a 5th step, meaning a card would be in learning for 7 days! But I found that was getting too much.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-20, 20:49

I have about 6 decks. Two for each language. One for vocab and one for grammar for Irish and Hebrew, for Japanese I have a kanji deck (which has nothing in it at this point, but will in a lesson or two) and one for vocab.

Before I changed things up, I had to do 120 card per time (I had three decks then), and that's not even counting the times I had to repeat cards.

Now I have 10 new cards and 15 review.

i didn't know you could change the days a card would stay in learning. Nor do i know what that means really, but I might look into that. the main things I've ever worried about are adding cards, and selecting how many to do at a time. :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-20, 21:04

[flag=]fr[/flag] J'ai fini au final mes buts pour étudier le français, le suédois, le tamoul et le portugais. J'ai écrit ces buts en français et je les ai posté sur mon fil de français à ici. Je vais les coller dans ce poste aussi, dans les deux le français et l'anglais.

1) Le français : le livre « French in 24 hours »
-> 24 chapitres organisés selon l'heure
-> à faire : lire un chapitre - une heure - chaque fois que j'étudie le français

2) Le suédois : le PDF « Swedish: An Essential Grammar »
-> 16 chapitres + l'introduction
-> à faire : lire un chapitre chaque fois que j'étudie le suédois et avec le premier chapitre lire aussi l'introduction

3) Le portugais : le livre « Practice Makes Perfect: Basic Portuguese »
-> 50 chapitres
-> j'ai déjà étudié les 4 premiers chapitres
-> à faire : lire un chapitre chaque fois que j'étudie le portugais ainsi que les 4 premiers chapitres, même si ce sera une revue

4) Le tamoul : le site « தமிழ் பாடநூல் »
-> 38 leçons + un introduction dans 4 parties
-> à faire : lire deux leçons chaque fois que j'étudie le tamoul et avec l'introduction lire les parties 3 et 4

[flag=]en[/flag] I finally finished writing my study goals for French, Swedish, Tamil and Portuguese. I wrote them in French and posted them on my French Thread which you can read here. I'm going to write them out here as well, in both French and English.

1) French: the book « French in 24 hours »
-> 24 chapters organised by hour
-> to-do: read one chapter - one hour - every time I study French

2) Swedish: the PDF « Swedish: An Essential Grammar »
-> 16 chapters + an introduction
-> to-do : read a chapter each time I study Swedish, and read the introduction when doing the first chapter

3) Portuguese: the book « Practice Makes Perfect: Basic Portuguese »
-> 50 chapters
-> I already studied the first 4 chapters
-> to-do: read a chapter each time I study Portuguese, including the first 4 chapters, even though it'll be a review

4) Tamil: the site « தமிழ் பாடநூல் »
-> 38 lessons + an introduction broken up into 4 parts
-> to-do: read 2 lessons every time I study Tamil and read parts 3 and 4 of the introduction
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-03-20, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-20, 21:12

księżycowy wrote:i didn't know you could change the days a card would stay in learning. Nor do i know what that means really, but I might look into that. the main things I've ever worried about are adding cards, and selecting how many to do at a time. :lol:

Yeah I didn't know about that either, but then I read through the Anki help. It explains a good amount of stuff. Basically the cards in red are in learning. So when you go to Options for any deck, you will see what Options Group the deck is under. And in the New Cards tab, you'll see a field that says Steps (in minutes). Basically this tells you how many minutes to wait before showing the card next when in learning mode.

The default I think is 1 10. This means that when a new card is shown for the first time, if you select Again, it will be shown in 1 minute. If you select Good, it will be shown in 10 minutes. Then, in 10 minutes, if you select Good the card will graduate to review (mode). I changed my steps to 10 120 1440 2880. This means that when a new card is shown for the first time, if I select Again, it will show the card in 10 minutes. If I select Good it will show it in 120 minutes or 2 hours. At the 2 hour mark, if I select Good again, then it will show it in 1440 minutes, or 1 day (24 hours exact). At the 1440 minute mark, if I select Good again, it will show the card in 2880 minutes, or 48 hours. All this time the card is still in learning mode. If at any point I select Again, I believe the card will be shown in 10 minutes and then the process starts again. At the 48 hour mark if I select Good then the card graduates to the review mode and the amount of days Anki waits to show me a card that has just graduated from learning mode is determined by the field Graduating interval.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-03-21, 5:26

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] l'ordinateur portable laptop
Tu peux aussi dire simplement "portable", qui veut dire soit "laptop" soit "cellphone".

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] J'ai fini atteint au final mes buts pour étudier le français, le suédois, le tamoul et le portugais. J'ai écrit ces buts en français et je les ai postés sur mon fil de français à ici. Je vais les coller dans ce poste message aussi, en français et en anglais.

-> à faire : lire un chapitre chaque fois que j'étudie le portugais ainsi que les 4 premiers chapitres, même si ce sera une revue révision
Une revue est une sorte de publication périodique.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-21, 20:19

Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] J'ai fini atteint au final mes buts pour étudier le français, le suédois, le tamoul et le portugais.

Mais je n'ai pas atteint mes buts dans le sens que j'ai fini étudier pour mes 4 langues. J'ai fini écrire mes buts de l'étude.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-21, 20:21

Anki for March 21:

[flag=]fr[/flag] le pleurnichard / la pleurnicharde crybaby; whiner [m./f.]
[flag=]fr[/flag] pleurnichard/pleurnicharde/pleurnichards/pleurnichardes whiny; whining [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]
[flag=]fr[/flag] l'ange [m.] angel
[flag=]fr[/flag] venir de + quelque chose to come from doing something
[flag=]fr[/flag] chauffer to heat
[flag=]fr[/flag] le synonyme synonym
[flag=]fr[/flag] aérien/aérienne/aériens/aériennes aerial; air [m.sing./f.sing./m.pl./f.pl.]

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o apartmento apartment

[flag=]sv[/flag] en mamma -- mamman mother; mom
[flag=]sv[/flag] Din bror bor här också? Ja. Does your brother live here also? Yes.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-03-22, 1:48, edited 1 time in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-21, 21:44

Ok, goal time.

Year-end goals:
1) French
  • Study all 24 chapters of French in 24 hours by Alpha Teach Yourself
2) Swedish
  • Study all 16 chapters + the Introduction of Swedish: An Essential Grammar by Routledge
3) Portuguese
  • Review first 4 chapters of Practice Makes Perfect: Basic Portuguese by McGraw-Hill
  • Study remaining 46 chapters of Practice Makes Perfect: Basic Portuguese by McGraw-Hill
4) Tamil

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-21, 22:23

Goals for Week of 19/03 - 01/04:
  1. Swedish: Introduction of Swedish: An Essential Grammar
  2. Swedish: Chapter 1 of Swedish: An Essential Grammar
  3. Tamil: Introduction Parts 3 & 4 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-03-21, 23:35

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]sv[/flag] Bor han här också? Ja. Does your brother live here also? Yes.

The Swedish sentence just says "he". "Your brother" would be "din bror".

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-22, 1:43

Aurinĭa wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]sv[/flag] Bor han här också? Ja. Does your brother live here also? Yes.

The Swedish sentence just says "he". "Your brother" would be "din bror".

Oh did I mix up the verb and noun? Is the subject "han" and the verb "bor"?! Oops!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-22, 1:47

After Aurinĭa's correction, I'm going to change this to: Din bror bor här också? Ja. This will reflect the English sentence I have. (Hopefully I haven't used a wrong sentence order.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-22, 3:53

dEhiN wrote:Is the subject "han" and the verb "bor"?!

Yes. Han means 'he', and bor means 'live(s)' (present tense; infinitive form bo).
(Hopefully I haven't used a wrong sentence order.)

I don't think so. I found search results for things like så din bror bor här?.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”