TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2017 dEhiN

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-26, 8:01

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Isn't it எனக்கு /enakːu/?

You're right. But I never quite got why என்னை + -உக்கு = எனக்கு. That's why I forget it and use double ன.

It's irregular. So is உனக்கு. (Both of these pronouns are irregular in Malayalam, too: [jɛˈnikʲɯ] and [n̪ɪˈnəkɯ]).
Thanks. Could I gloss that as PRO.DEM? What about nouns? Or I guess a gloss is a breakdown of morphemes? (Man I really need to review the Morphology section of the linguistics course I took!)

Well, what you really need in this case is this. ;)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-27, 4:43

vijayjohn wrote:It's irregular. So is உனக்கு.

நன்றி.

Well, what you really need in this case is this. ;)

And again, நனறி. :D

Anki for Feb. 26:

[flag=]fr[/flag] améliorer to improve
[flag=]fr[/flag] le soleil sun

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] a meia-noite midnight
[flag=]pt-br[/flag] triste/tristes sad [sing./pl.]

[flag=]ta-lk[/flag] உங்களுக்கு your [sing. pol.; pl.]
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-02-27, 5:15

So I already posted this in the Random Language Thread, but since this is my TAC, I'm reposting:

I feel like my thinking in French is improving. It seems to me that when I think in French now, I don't auto-translate to English to make sure what I said is grammatically correct. :partyhat:
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-02, 17:09

I haven't been consistently doing Anki for the past 3 days. I've done a little bit to not get too far behind. Anyway, today I caught up and banged off 91 cards in 17 minutes.

Here's the Anki for Mar. 2:

[flag=]fr[/flag] bonjourgood morning; good day
[flag=]fr[/flag] je bois / tu bois / il;elle;on boit / nous buvons / vous buvez / ils;elles boivent [pres. tense ind. of 'boire']
[flag=]fr[/flag] -(i)eux -(i)ous
[flag=]fr[/flag] [l'argot] déchirer; démonter; péter (ça pète); fracasser; de la balle; de la bombe [slang] amazing; awesome

[flag=]pt-br[/flag] o filho son

The French slang is a lot, so over time I might cut down some of those phrases, or break them up into multiple cards. I'm not even sure if the slang is still used. My Parisian friend taught me those phrases back in 2011 or 2012.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-03-08, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-03-02, 17:51

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] bonjour good morning; good day

Is it a new card that you have created? Why would you create cards for words that it is very unlikely you will ever forget?

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-03-02, 18:43

Pro-tip when it comes to learning French nouns: use the indefinite article rather than the definite where possible. Those that begin with a vowel become very ambiguous otherwise...

Case in point, what gender is l'automne? Or l'erreur? If you instead go for un automne and une erreur it's a lot easier to remember their genders :) I always stuck to the definite article in those cases where there's an 〈h〉 that prevents elision though, otherwise I could never remember which words have that and which have the normal, completely silent one :P

OK, your French is most likely way better than mine ever was, but it's a trick I was more or less ordered to use by my teacher who had a few decades of experience in teaching the language on various levels, both kids in their late teens and adults. And it really did help :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-02, 23:47

voron wrote:
dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] bonjour good morning; good day

Is it a new card that you have created? Why would you create cards for words that it is very unlikely you will ever forget?

Yeah it's a new card. I have OCD tendencies sometimes, and a while back I got the idea to go through all my old language learning notebooks and add all the vocabulary/grammar I've learned over the years to Anki. If you've ever seen me reference the LNTP project, that's what that is. I think the OCD part feels like having a consolidated vocabulary base (or as much of one that I can) across all the languages I'm learning, will give help me never forget a word, whether that's true or not. And it's easier to include every word than make exceptions.

Johanna wrote:Pro-tip when it comes to learning French nouns: use the indefinite article rather than the definite where possible. Those that begin with a vowel become very ambiguous otherwise...

When the definite article is l', I put an "m" or "f" beside it. Example: l'erreur [m.]. I don't remember quite why I prefer the definite article; I think maybe I was recommended by a French person to use it, and now I've gotten used to it. I find it easier to use the definite article to help me remember the gender, than the indefinite.
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-03-06, 6:04, edited 1 time in total.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-03-03, 1:17

Whatever floats your boat, etc... ;) :P

I can understand that, that's the approach every text book I've ever had has taken, but well... once I learnt that hack I didn't only learn the gender, I associated it to something real. And for the nouns that have that kind of 〈h〉 I was talking about, the switch from indefinite to definite served as extra reinforcement.

Again, not saying you have to follow suit, just telling about my experience.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-03, 1:41

I've tried doing something like that, I think (using indefinite articles instead of definite ones), but FWIR it didn't really work for me precisely because the habit of using the definite article had been kind of hammered into my brain by then from seeing that practice in textbooks and such again and again.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-03-03, 3:52

Oh, and very much case in point... erreur is feminine.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-06, 6:13

Johanna wrote:Oh, and very much case in point... erreur is feminine.

Lol, maybe I should reconsider and try your suggestion. I think I tried using the indefinite article once before, but I remember having difficulty. But perhaps at that time I was mixing the cards and for some I used the indefinite and for others I used the definite.

Edit: So I just checked and I actually don't have an Anki card for erreur. I'm not sure why I added [m.] in my reply. I hadn't added a card for erreur because whenever I've used it in writing and needed to use the indefinite, I've use the feminine one.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-06, 6:17

Erreur is a particularly tricky word for anyone learning multiple Romance languages. Its cognates in other Romance languages are masculine, yet it's feminine in French for some reason.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-06, 14:38

vijayjohn wrote:Erreur is a particularly tricky word for anyone learning multiple Romance languages. Its cognates in other Romance languages are masculine, yet it's feminine in French for some reason.

Connais-tu la raison pour ça? Je suppose que ce mot vient du latin?

So I started reading my TAC 2015 (because apparently it's the thread I've written in the most!) and I saw that French, Portuguese, and Tamil were 3 of the 4 languages I listed in the first post! I guess that even though I tend to take circuitous routes in many interest projects, I consistently come back to the same set of core projects. :D

Lately, I have been struggling to have motivation for language learning, including Anki. I'm a few days behind on Anki review. One way to have more motivation might be to increase the amount of new Anki I'm learning per day. When I was learning 20 new words, even though that would increase the total amount of words I had to look at each day, at least it gave me a sense of learning a fair amount. Since doing only 5 new words, I've been feeling like I'm mostly just reviewing existing words.

I also had been thinking about focusing on just Swedish (as I mentioned earlier in this thread), or Swedish and Tamil, for a few weeks now. But last night I realized that part of my lack of motivation is that I actually want to do the 4 languages I started this TAC with.

So today or tomorrow I'm going to write out goals a la księżycowy for all 4 languages. I'm tired of being demotivated; time to do some real study!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-03-06, 17:52

dEhiN wrote:[flag=]fr[/flag] … péter (ça pète) …

dEhiN wrote:Connais-tu la raison pour ça? Je suppose que ce mot vient du latin?
Oui, erreur vient du mot latin error.

CNRTL indique que cette hésitation de genre s'est produite dans toutes les langues romanes et même en bas latin, mais que le féminin ne l'emporte que dans quelques langues, y compris le français. Il offre deux explications pour le changement : 1) analogie avec des mots en -ura (ardor/ardura, calor/calura), 2) analogie avec les autres noms abstraits latins (-tas, -itia, -tio, -tudo, etc.), qui sont généralement féminins.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-08, 15:59

I made a small change to the cards I have for nouns in Swedish. It used to be this:

[flag=]sv[/flag] ett brev -- brevet (a) letter -- the letter

Now it's this:

[flag=]sv[/flag] ett brev -- brevet letter

I feel like I've reviewed these noun cards enough to know that the left term is with the indefinite article, and the right term is with the definite article. Johanna had suggested I put singular and plural on the same card instead of indefinite and definite. But I don't feel comfortable enough with how to form the definite, so I'm going to have two cards, one for singular and one for plural:

[flag=]sv[/flag] en man -- mannen man
[flag=]sv[/flag] män -- männen men

In other news, I've been dealing with quite a bit of personal shit the past few days, and so I haven't been doing any Anki review. I'm about 130 cards behind in review, which I'm going through now. I still also plan to make goals and stuff, combining some of the planning and prep work that both Michael and księżycowy do to structure my studying.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-10, 15:53

I'm caught up on Anki review, and for the past two days have been doing them regularly. I put on hold learning any new cards. I don't remember if I mentioned it here, but some time ago I decided to remove the Indonesian and Polish words from the Languages deck, and move them to the Stored Languages deck. I was finding it difficult to maintain a few Indonesian and Polish words when I wasn't studying the language.

So I have 545 new cards in my Languages deck, which only has cards in French, Portuguese, Swedish, and Tamil. I think starting on Sunday, I'll do what I did in January and go through about 20 a day.

I also figured out why I've been fearful to create goals using the resources I planned to use for language study. I'm a perfectionist, and it's still pretty easy for me to not live in today or the moment, but in the future. I became fearful of not living up to my own standards of perfection, which was to study these resources consistently every day/week until they were finished. But I was out to dinner yesterday with a friend, and he reminded me that even if I'm not consistent, it's ok. Even if I stop doing something and then a while later get back to it, that's ok. For anyone reading my TAC, what do you think? What has been your experience? If you struggle with perfectionism, how do you combat it?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-10, 16:39

I think I have that problem with consciously making plans in general. If I make specific plans, I often don't manage to achieve them, which makes me feel like I just suck at making plans. Then I stew over it until I manage to distract myself with something else, I guess.

So usually, I don't make specific plans. I try to set generic goals that are pretty modest by my standards based not on what I think I should be doing but rather on what I actually end up doing. For example, now that I have a job, I usually spend my weekends posting on language-specific threads on UniLang, trying to translate part of my grandfather's diary, and (if possible) reading a chapter of a Malayalam novel to my dad, so that's exactly what I'm setting as my goal this weekend, too.

There are complications that arise even with these plans; for example, usually, I manage to translate one paragraph of my grandfather's diary a week, but last week, I only managed to do five sentences. I'm not exactly thrilled about that, but hey, it's still something. And I remember that what anyone else thinks of any of these plans of mine doesn't matter. I find it kind of annoying when people ask me about things like my plans for the weekend because they also tend to make false assumptions from my reply.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-10, 17:10

For me, I used to be worried about not getting to my goal every week when I was making my TAC plans. I think that is in large part the reason why I have frequently dropped off.

Either I was bummed that I didn't make my goals, or I was not motivated enough with no goals at all. I need to challenge myself or I'm not going to do a thing, but at the same time I can't be hard on myself with my goals. I think I've begun to get past this whole thing.

As you can see with last week's goals, I didn't quite make it. I don't care either. It's less about the goals, and more about the motivation. I think of my goals more as a guide more than, well, a goal. Moving forward with language study is all I need to worry about. And even that I don't stress over.

I've also learned to be flexible, and when my goals for the previous week don't work out, I try to see why and adjust them. Allow for trial and error.

Sorry, probably not much help. :P

reineke

Postby reineke » 2017-03-10, 17:32

"Have no fear of perfection — you'll never reach it."

Salvador Dali

“There is no such thing as a bad Picasso.”

Picasso

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-12, 12:36

księżycowy wrote:Sorry, probably not much help. :P

Actually that did help! All of the responses helped. I like that you use the goals as more of a motivator than a goal. When it comes to goals for short-term things, like a course or a project, I can think of the goals as, well, goals. When it comes to long-term stuff like continued language study, whether it be for one language or languages in general, it becomes easier for my perfectionism to kick in and screw everything up.

reineke wrote:"Have no fear of perfection — you'll never reach it."

Salvador Dali

“There is no such thing as a bad Picasso.”

Picasso

I like those types of quotes in general, and will even espouse them for others, but it's always been difficult for me to hold onto those perspectives for myself. I will believe it for a while, and then revert back to the view I'm more used to.

I don't think it's helping either that the counselling I'm doing is around my abuse (which I've finally accepted happened) and the core beliefs I have about myself as well as tendencies I've developed as a result. I think the cycle of thinking goes something like this:

1) I can't be vulnerable because I will get hurt, or I will hurt someone else.
2) So I have to hide my core behind walls and shit.
3) If I'm able to control everything about myself - how I think, act, feel, what I say - then I can build and maintain that wall
4) So let me always be analyzing my behaviour, my thoughts, etc. to make sure they are in line with the expectations I've set up for myself
5) Fuck, I failed; I couldn't keep up with the perfectionist expectations, or there was a chink in the armour/wall
6) So now I'm hurt or I've hurt someone else because I'm not perfect
7) I have to try even harder because (see number 1)

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”