TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

Postby voron » 2017-02-20, 13:43

Btw smth is wrong with my Arabic studies (and what will follow may as well belong to the complaints thread). I feel like I am not progressing. I have spent enormous hours on Arabic already (I bet if I invested the same amount into say German I'd be fluent in it already). As for Arabic, okay I can communicate to some extent, but I can't read an average news article without it being a torture for me, and I definitely can't read a book. I forget or don't know simplest words like "bring it here and put it on the table" (it's mostly common verbs I have problems with). I blame it partly on the diglossia situation, and me being used to study from popular media and talking to people, so I hope it can improve now that I've started learning a dialect.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-02-20, 19:59

In addition to the factors you mentioned, I think you have to also keep in mind that Arabic is probably the most difficult, and most different, language you've tried to learn, so it definitely takes longer to make progress in. Don't get discouraged!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-02-20, 22:47

Voron, I completely understand that feeling. Reading in Arabic is hard because they don't put the short vowels in the words, and that means that you have to know the word previously, to recognise it. When I was in my first year of Arabic, I asked my teacher about that. And he said to me that the purpose of writing Latin or Arabic, was very different when they were created. He said that Latin alphabet was invented so that people could learn ex novo what it was written. While Arabic alphabet was created to remember texts or knowledge that people already knew by heart, and that was passed from generation to generation. I guess, like some kind of taquigraphy or shorthand (stenography :?: ), so that it was not necessary to write all the letters :hmm:

What I think it's better, is to go step by step. For example, reading twitters in Arabic, or the comments in Arabic that people write after Youtube videos. These messages are usually short, and they use the necessary words to communicate, so it is easier to recognize and understand them.

There are also some Youtube channels where people talk in "neutral" Arabic (near to Fussha), and you could look for some short documentary film about a subject that could interest you.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-21, 11:44

eskandar wrote:Don't get discouraged!

Antea wrote:Voron, I completely understand that feeling

Thank you both for the encouragement.

you have to also keep in mind that Arabic is probably the most difficult, and most different, language you've tried to learn

Actually the syntax is not so very different. In particular in the Levantine dialects there are so many similar syntactic features to Romanian or Bulgarian that it could almost be a part of the Balkan Sprachbund.
To name a few:
subjunctive (the use is almost identical to that of the Sprachbund languages)
constructing relative clauses with duplicating the object with a pronoun
"to like" construction with "3ajabni"
"to need" construction with "lazim"

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-27, 13:41

Would it be a copyright violation if I re-upload Langmedia videos to youtube and add subtitles to them?
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9LYF6DCzfE
(Press the "Subtitles" button).

This makes them more usable on a mobile device (so that I don't have to switch between the video and the transcript).

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-02-27, 19:11

If you're worried about copyright, you could upload the videos and make them private. That way, you'd be able to use them but no one else would see them.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-27, 21:28

eskandar wrote:If you're worried about copyright, you could upload the videos and make them private.

Yeah I've already made a couple of videos private about which youtube gave me copyright warnings. But sharing with others, in particular with fellow Unilangers, is more fun. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-28, 0:37

Actually, I wonder whether LangMedia might appreciate it if someone did that for them.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-02-28, 11:04

You could check if they state something about it on their site or just contact them. Some sites actually do reply and may even appreciate it indeed.
Please correct my mistakes!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-28, 12:41

Car wrote:or just contact them

And I just did it.

Here is another video from LangMedia that I have subtitled. It is so awesome, I watched it last night several times from my phone and memorized all new words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyOzQMDdeHY

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-02-28, 23:39

And here is the reply that I have got:
The videos are copyright by the Five College Center for the Study of World Languages. The people who appear in the videos only gave permission for the videos to be available through the LangMedia website, not on any other platform, including YouTube. Therefore, I respectively need to ask you to make the videos private for your own use and not make them publicly available on YouTube or anywhere else.

We do not have plans to add Kurdish videos to the website at this time.

Ok I am hiding the videos... :|

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-01, 0:34

That seems kind of odd to me given that LangMedia is as open to everybody as YouTube is. It's not like you have to be a member of a closed community to use it. :?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-01, 1:08

vijayjohn wrote:That seems kind of odd to me given that LangMedia is as open to everybody as YouTube is.

I think it only takes youtube comments to make the actors don't authorize their images appearing there.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-01, 1:22

Osias wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:That seems kind of odd to me given that LangMedia is as open to everybody as YouTube is.

I think it only takes youtube comments to make the actors don't authorize their images appearing there.

But you can disable comments to videos on YouTube, too.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-01, 1:56

That changes nothing.

I don't want people calling me a whore or insulting my mother on a language video publicly for nothing, even if I myself never read the comments. So I would, maybe, sign an authorization for showing my image on LangMedia.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-01, 4:30

I'm confused and not sure you understood what I was saying. When you upload a video onto YouTube, it is possible to prevent anyone from commenting on it. I have seen YouTube videos where it said "comments are disabled for this video," meaning that no one can post a comment.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-03-01, 4:34

I know. But I can imagine actors signing a contract saying "my image can appear on LangMedia but no other site", while a clause "it can appear there as long as the comments are disabled" is a little harder to me.

Maybe I'm going too far and what happened has some simpler explanation, like money.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-01, 4:46

Maybe people should just not have to rely on copyrights so much. Idk. *shrugs*

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-03-01, 5:03

Maybe it's 'cause I'm a little dense, but I don't understand any of the last few posts.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-03-01, 5:07

Starting with which one?

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”