TAC 2017- Meera Hindi & Japanese

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Meera
TAC 2017- Meera Hindi & Japanese

Postby Meera » 2017-01-06, 19:07

Hello everyone, welcome to my 2017 TAC. For now I am only doing Hindi, Japanese and French. But I may add more later.
Japanese (日本語/जापानी/Japonais) Materials I will be using:

My Japanese Class
Genki 1 & 2
Essential Japanese Kanji
Japanese from Zero
Japanese the Manga Way
Living Language Japanese

French(フランス語, फ्रेंच, Français) Materials:
Ultimate French
French Now!
Contacts

Goals
Hindi: My goal for Hindi is to watch 100 movies or 100 dramas and read 100 books throughout the year. (This may have to be articles since I don't know where to get more Hindi books). I will try to read 100 Arabic articles in Arabic as well.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Michael

Re: TAC 2017- Meera Japanese, French

Postby Michael » 2017-01-06, 19:17

Meera wrote:Hello everyone, welcome to my 2017 TAC. For now I am only doing Japanese and French. But I may add more later. But for now I am going to focus on these two. Leaning toward Mandarin, Turkish,Indonesian or Korean.

In my opinion, you should give Turkish another look, as well as Korean secondarily. Korean is said to be simpler to learn if you already have a knowledge of Japanese morphology, so have fun with it! :D
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-01-06, 19:18

Michael wrote:
Meera wrote:Hello everyone, welcome to my 2017 TAC. For now I am only doing Japanese and French. But I may add more later. But for now I am going to focus on these two. Leaning toward Mandarin, Turkish,Indonesian or Korean.

In my opinion, you should give Turkish another look, as well as Korean secondarily. Korean is said to be simpler to learn if you already have a knowledge of Japanese morphology, so have fun with it! :D

Thank you Micheal! I will :)
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-06, 19:20

No Hindi this time?

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-01-06, 19:21

vijayjohn wrote:No Hindi this time?

I was thinking of maybe putting updates in Hindi, it's just hard to write updates because I don't really learn anything. Maybe I'll add it anyway :P
अहिंसा/เจ

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-01-06, 21:16

No Arabic? :shock: Shouldn't you be doing it at uni?

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-01-06, 22:12

voron wrote:No Arabic? :shock: Shouldn't you be doing it at uni?

I'm guessing Meera is taking a break with Arabic because it's already been occupying a lot of her time over the last few semesters. I'd probably feel the same way were I in her shoes, but Arabic is still largely uncharted territory for me, despite a solid passive knowledge of the language's structure, so I myself don't feel that way, that's for sure!
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-06, 23:07

I'm also guessing Meera is on break from college right now.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-01-07, 16:49

Michael wrote:
voron wrote:No Arabic? :shock: Shouldn't you be doing it at uni?

I'm guessing Meera is taking a break with Arabic because it's already been occupying a lot of her time over the last few semesters. I'd probably feel the same way were I in her shoes, but Arabic is still largely uncharted territory for me, despite a solid passive knowledge of the language's structure, so I myself don't feel that way, that's for sure!

Yup. This is correct. I'm feeling major burn out on it. I use it some days for hours and sometimes even after school (I tutor some of the lower level Arabic students) and sometimes when I come home I don't want to think about it anymore lol
अहिंसा/เจ

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-07, 21:31

Meera wrote:Yup. This is correct. I'm feeling major burn out on it. I use it some days for hours and sometimes even after school (I tutor some of the lower level Arabic students) and sometimes when I come home I don't want to think about it anymore lol

Yeah it's easy to feel burn out when you stuyd a language at school. At least that was my experience. After just one semester of Korean I felt like I needed a few weeks of not doing any language studies!

Edit: Bonne chance avec le français et le japonais! (I would write that in Japanese too, but I know only a handful or words in Japanese. Also, Michael is right; if you're learning Korean, try to find resources in Japanese that teach it. A guy I know on a Whatsapp group said that he understood things much better in Korean when explained through Japanese (which he knows) than in English.)
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-01-08, 0:00

dEhiN wrote:
Meera wrote:Yup. This is correct. I'm feeling major burn out on it. I use it some days for hours and sometimes even after school (I tutor some of the lower level Arabic students) and sometimes when I come home I don't want to think about it anymore lol

Yeah it's easy to feel burn out when you stuyd a language at school. At least that was my experience. After just one semester of Korean I felt like I needed a few weeks of not doing any language studies!

Edit: Bonne chance avec le français et le japonais! (I would write that in Japanese too, but I know only a handful or words in Japanese. Also, Michael is right; if you're learning Korean, try to find resources in Japanese that teach it. A guy I know on a Whatsapp group said that he understood things much better in Korean when explained through Japanese (which he knows) than in English.)

Thank you, David. Yeah I like Arabic but after school I just want to relax and not deal with it :lol:
अहिंसा/เจ

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-08, 3:31

As much as I don't want to add another response to your TAC (yes, I'm jealous that you started yours a few days after mine and already have more responses than me :evil: ), I was thinking that you don't have to add a language to your TAC to study it or work on it. There's no rule stating that. I think of TAC as the langauge(s) I want to concentrate on and as much as possible stick to throughout the year. If you still do Arabic (for school, for example), and Hindi to maintain your level, you don't have to put it in your TAC.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-08, 4:45

Yes, of course, I agree. I think those of us who asked just wanted to know whether anything unusual had happened since Meera usually does include such languages on her TAC. :)
dEhiN wrote:yes, I'm jealous that you started yours a few days after mine and already have more responses than me :evil:

That's because the posts here are so much shorter so there's less we have to read! :lol: And I still haven't started mine! :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-08, 4:52

vijayjohn wrote:That's because the posts here are so much shorter so there's less we have to read! :lol:

So are you implying that I should keep my updates short? I guess I'm just used to the idea of giving a play-by-play whenever I'm recounting a story or situation.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-01-08, 5:28

I think the TAC was originally a project from the old HTLAL forum where people would motivate each other through friendly competition. It was transported to Unilang but here it ended up mainly just being normal language logs. Even in HTLAL's successor, A Language Learner's Forum, they don't seem to be using the "TAC" format much any more. So there's not really much meaning to "TAC" at this point other than "whatever you want to write about in your language log". So basically TAC is whatever you want it to be.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-01-08, 6:17

Saim wrote:I think the TAC was originally a project from the old HTLAL forum where people would motivate each other through friendly competition. It was transported to Unilang but here it ended up mainly just being normal language logs. Even in HTLAL's successor, A Language Learner's Forum, they don't seem to be using the "TAC" format much any more. So there's not really much meaning to "TAC" at this point other than "whatever you want to write about in your language log". So basically TAC is whatever you want it to be.

Indeed. When I first started becoming active on this subforum, I wondered what the actual end, reward, of the supposed competition was, but I understood its general premise. Having said that, I would have failed it every year from 2010 onward if it were more rigorously directed! If I may use my TAC 2016 as reference, I only lasted 4 months strong. Will I at least be able to maintain my attention span for 2 months more than that, if not 4? We shall see!
Last edited by Michael on 2017-01-08, 6:23, edited 2 times in total.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-08, 6:20

Our old joke is that by now, TACs have really just become PLBs: Personal Language Blogs. :lol:
dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:That's because the posts here are so much shorter so there's less we have to read! :lol:

So are you implying that I should keep my updates short?

Depends on what your goals are. If your goal is more readership, then - as with anything where you want people to pay attention to what you're saying - you have to consider who your audience is, what they will want to see, etc., and in that case at least, I think it would be nice to at least sometimes post just a quick update instead of a whole novel describing your progress. If you're not really that worried about drawing attention to your TAC, then just do whatever you like. :)

Meera

Re: TAC 2017- Meera Hindi, Japanese, French

Postby Meera » 2017-01-08, 22:27

1/8/2017
[flag=]fr[/flag] First French Update/ la première actualisation en français.

I got through chapter one of my Ultimate French book, so I will post my review from it.

Grammaire et Usage:

Je suis - मैं हूँ

tu es - तू है

il/elle/on est - यह/वह है

vous êtes - आप हैं

ils/elles sont - ये/वे हैं

Elle est Italienne.

Je suis américain.

Ils sonts architectes.

Vous avez le plan?

Il a la réponse.

Reviewed the present tense of -er verbs.

je parle
tu parles
il/elle/on parle

nous parlons
vous parlez
ils/elles parlent

je visite
tu visites
il/elle/on visite

nous visitons
vous visitez
ils/elles visitent

Elle parle français.

Vous parlez très bien l'espagnol.

Vous étudiez l'histoire médiévale.

French present tense can be :I speak or I am speaking.

Vocabulaire:

Bonjour.
Bonsoir
Bonne Nuit.
Au revoir.
Salut!
Comment allez-vous?
baroque (no lie, the chapter actually had this word!)
le conservatoire
le temps
la surprise
beaucoup de cours
profiter de

[flag=]hi[/flag] I have started watching Humsafar again on netflix, this will be the first of the 100 dramas/ films of 2017. 1/100

[flag=]ja[/flag] I watched and finished Yuuri on Ice. 1/100
अहिंसा/เจ

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-10, 6:36

Meera wrote:1/8/2017
[flag=]fr[/flag] First French Update/ la première actualisation en français.

Très bien Meera! Les mots et le grammaire, ils étaient nouveaus pour toi ou une revue* pour toi?

*Les gens qui parlent français bien, la revue est-il le meiux mot pour utiliser dans ce cas?

Meera wrote:baroque (no lie, the chapter actually had this word!)]

Oui, le mot existe en anglais à cause du français!

Meera wrote:[flag=]ja[/flag] I watched and finished Yuuri on Ice. 1/100

I thought you were only going to do the 100 movies thing for Hindi? Or are you doing it for Japanese too?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-10, 6:48

dEhiN wrote:Très bien Meera! Les mots et le grammaire, ils étaient nouveausx pour toi ou une revue* pour toi?

*Les gens qui parlent français bien, la revue est-il le meiux meilleur mot pour utiliser dans ce cas?

Non. Revue est un faux ami, en français ça veut dire ou un magazine ou une inspection de troupes. Je pense qu'on pourrait dire quelque chose comme ...ou il s'agit d'une révision pour toi ? ou ...ou tu les as revisés ?.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”